Outdoortroy

Passport name, does it matter?

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I am trying to find out information about Passports. I live in the USA and my wife lives in the Philippines. Her name did not change after our marriage because we did not file the legal name change. She already has a passport in her maiden name. My question is, does she need to change her name and passport information to my last name before I file for her visa? I want to make sure I do this properly. The process is already complicated enough without adding more things to do. If anyone has went through this issue, I would love to hear your input. Im gonna be a DAD! :) So I want to do this as soon as possible. Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I am trying to find out information about Passports. I live in the USA and my wife lives in the Philippines. Her name did not change after our marriage because we did not file the legal name change. She already has a passport in her maiden name. My question is, does she need to change her name and passport information to my last name before I file for her visa? I want to make sure I do this properly. The process is already complicated enough without adding more things to do. If anyone has went through this issue, I would love to hear your input. Im gonna be a DAD! :) So I want to do this as soon as possible. Thanks

I think all she needs to do (if she wants to use her married name) is to renew her passport and present the marriage cert as proof of name change. And I think her passport should be in her married name too. Doesnt hurt to renew it though with her married name on it.. :blush:

Congratz ur going to be a dad! :thumbs::dance:

Edited by tonylovesam

Sam's CRBA, US Passport, and SSN Journey

Nov. 2010: CRBA and US passport application sent(via Air21)

Dec. 08, 2010: Interview(DNA was recommended)

April 04, 2011: CRBA and US passport on hand

April 2011: SSN Application sent (mailed original docs thru 2GO)

April 29, 2011: SSN card on hand

My K1 Visa Journey

March 05, 2011: I-129F packet sent

March 14, 2011: NOA1

May 20, 2011: NOA2(approved in 67 days from NOA1, with no RFEs)

June 24, 2011: NVC received approved petition from USCIS

June 29, 2011: Approved original petition left NVC to US Embassy-Manila

July 15, 2011: Eligibility letter received from US Embassy-Manila(dated July 11, 2011)

October 26 - June 5, 2012: SLEC trap!!! (DOT tx to vaccine administration)

June 7, 2012: Interview (APPROVED!) :)

June 18, 2012: Visa picked up at the embassy

June 20, 2012: POE in Detroit

proud of my family

:)

If she wants to use her married name she can do it without getting a new passport. All she has to do is have her passport ammended if she don't wanna get a new one. If she wants to get a new one then that is fine.

http://dfa.gov.ph/main/index.php/renewal-of-passport My wife changed hers to the married name, ......... :thumbs:

12/22/2010...married my soulmate,in tagaytay city.

USCIS...
01/28/2011...mailed I-130 to chicago Lockbox.....The journey begins
01/31/2011...receive I-130
02/05/2011...get a e-mail notice of NOA-1...states case transferred to CSC
02/08/2011...check clears my bank
02/10/2011... rec. hardcopy NOA-1 in mail...priority date..01/31/2011.....sit back relax and ride this slow mule!!
02/14/2011... touched ( it must have fallen on the floor )..hehe
05/12/2011...NOA-2 OMG...98days u kidding me!!!!!!!

NVC......

05/26/2011... finally got NVC case number...
05/28/2011... receive DS-3032 in e-mail/e-mailed the DS-3032 back
05/28/2011... receive AOS fee bill/ and paid online.
06/01/2011... AOS fee bill shows paid.
06/02/2011... DS-3032 accepted
06/03/2011... IV-bill generated and sented by e-mail
06/04/2011... Paid IV fee bill/ in progress
06/07/2011... IV fee bill showed paid/ downloaded cover sheet
06/08/2011... Express mail both the I-864(AOS) and DS-230
06/09/2011... Confirmed del at 11:10am signed by N visa center.
06/21/2011... SIF...yea!!! called NVC..yes case complete but no interview dates until aug..rats!!
06/28/2011... issured interview date set for 08/08/2011 At 6:30am.
07/12&13/2011... medical
YEA SHE PASSED MEDICAL

08/08/2011... interview approved!!!
08/19/2011...usa/arkansas.....

ROC

05/23/2013... mailed I-751 to Vermont

05/25/2013...delivery confirm received

05/30/2013...check cleared bank

06/01/2013...rec. NOA1 (receipt date 05/28/2013)

06/24/2013... biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The visa and green card will be issued in the name that is in the passport. If she wants her documents in her married name then you will need a new passport.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Is it nessary to change her name on the passport to apply for the visa? We can change her last name here in the USA can't we? Her passport in PH wont be needed anymore after the final move. I am hoping to avoid extra waiting time due to changes to the passport, will need to have her name ammended on her police records and who knows what else.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is it nessary to change her name on the passport to apply for the visa? We can change her last name here in the USA can't we? Her passport in PH wont be needed anymore after the final move. I am hoping to avoid extra waiting time due to changes to the passport, will need to have her name ammended on her police records and who knows what else.

She needs her passport to travel anywhere outside of the USA. International travel requires a passport. If she ever intends to travel home or outside of the USA in the 3 years before she gets a US Citizen passport then she needs her PH passport.

Her green card will arrive in her maiden name, you will have to pay to have this corrected.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

We didn't change her name in the marraige certificate and kept it same as the name in passport. And filed I-130 petition using that maiden name. We will get her name changed after coming to US during the time the condition is removed from the Green Card (after 2 years), so that we don't need to pay that additional fee of 400-500 to get name changed before that. Then get her names changed on the foreign passport here at our country's consulate - needed to travel back to our country.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Thanks everyone for the information. If anyone else has more info, I am interested in hearing it. My plan was to keep her passport in her maiden name and file for her visa, then later we can change the name. Her passport in Ph can be renewed if we travel anywhere. Mainly, I was just concerned about the visa app and if it will cause a problem to leave her name as it is. I am hoping to have the baby here in the US so it is automatically a citizen or we will have to wait until she has it there and file papers for the child too. I am kind of on a deadline here. :) If I change her passport, that could take a month to get straightened out (all the legal documents that need a name change) If anyone else has more information, I am very interested in hearing it. I would like to hear it from more sources. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.