VisaJourney.com Logo
Gallery      Form Downloads      Example Forms      Processing Times      Embassy Info      Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE      News     Members

Latest VJ Member Visa Approvals - Congratulations!

blank avatarAmanda & Justin
K1 Visa
Canada
blank avatarShalina & Alexander
K1 Visa
Nigeria
Meghan & Andrei
K1 Visa
Russia
blank avatarK & S
K1 Visa
Germany
blank avatarSteven & Regina
K1 Visa
Mexico
Drew & Roxana
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Romania
Monica & Aziz
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Pakistan
blank avatarKay & D
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Haiti
blank avatarKatie & Ben
K1 Visa
United Kingdom
blank avatarAnne Marie & Vanessa
K1 Visa
Germany

Visa Interviews Today: Good Luck!!

blank avatarDarren & Jenny
K1 Visa
Indonesia
Kel & Babs
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Senegal
AD & KD
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Canada
blank avatarJim & Tia
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Cambodia
blank avatarCH & Y
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Tunisia
Adam & Jessica
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Canada
Michael & Maria
K1 Visa
Ireland
J & S
K1 Visa
United Kingdom
Sabrina Smith & Abdul-Samed Iddisah
K1 Visa
Turkey
blank avatarMC & DJ
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Canada
blank avatarPhilip & Nikki
K1 Visa
Honduras
blank avatargg & dp
K1 Visa
New Zealand
blank avatarA & F
K1 Visa
Brazil
blank avatarEmily & David
K1 Visa
United Kingdom
blank avatardennis & ilsye
K1 Visa
Indonesia
blank avatarPatrick & Mario
K1 Visa
Norway
blank avatarRicardo & Friah
K1 Visa
Philippines
Rachel & Eliseo
K1 Visa
Bolivia
Fabienne & David
K1 Visa
Haiti
Eliane & Jose
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Brazil
Will & Katerina
K1 Visa
Russia

• Please log in to reply

How long to wait after biometrics?

#1 JohnJ500

JohnJ500

• PipPip

• Group: Members

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hello, My wife has applied for naturalization and had her biometrics appointment last week. How long can she expect to wait until her interview? I've heard mixed reports of anything from one month to four months, and I expect it varies a lot. What is the minimum time? She is anxious about the test because English isn't her first language and her spoken English is way better than her written English. Do we need to start fast-tracking her study and find her a good teacher? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#2 OKflyboy

OKflyboy

Platinum Member

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

They'll send her an interview notice at least a month before the interview date. There's a lot of time to study. She's going to need her spoken English more than written. She'll only have to write a simple sentence and it does not have to be perfect.

Ara & Anya - Tucson, Arizona

IR-5 for my (Anya's) mother

I-130
00 Filed: 03/08/2013

536 POE: 08/26/2014

Father

00 I-130 mailed to Phoenix Lockbox: 05/28/2014

07 NOA-1 received in the mail: Priority date is 05/29/2014: 06/04/201

149 Approved; NOA-2 sent: 10/31/2014

155 NOA-2 received in the mail; Case sent to NVC: 11/06/2014

NVC

Brother (7 years old, A2A through LPR mother)

I-130

00 Filed: 09/12/2014

03 Petition accepted at California Service Center, NOA-1 mailed: 09/15/2014

07 NOA-1 received; Priority date is 09/15/2014: 09/19/2014

#3 milimelo

milimelo

Star Member

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

Usually a month after biometrics you get yellow and interview letters. If not, call the USCIS hotline.
Removal of Conditions Journey

3/3/2009 - Removal of conditions - sent off packet to CSC
3/5/2009 - I-751 received in CSC
3/9/2009 - Check cashed
3/20/2009 - Biometrics notice received (no NOA1)
4/2/2009 - Biometrics
4/9/2009 - NOA1 date (first undelivered one is 3/5)
4/3/2009 - Touch?
5/6/2009 - ROC Approval - 65 days
6/22/2009 - CRIS Card production ordered email
7/7/2009 - GC arrived!

Naturalization Journey
3/03/2010 N400 sent to Arizona Lockbox
3/15/2010 Check cashed
3/17/2010 NOA1
3/18/2010 - Biometrics notice sent
3/26/2010 Early biometrics done at an ASC different from the one assigned to (Original BIO date was 4/15)
4/30/2010 Yellow letter received and info from USCIS mil line they are working on my interview letter (6/17 appt)
5/1/2010 Text and email interview letter sen
5/6/2010 Interview letter received - scheduled for 6/17/2010 at 10:05am
6/17/2010 Interview appointment - PASSED
6/29/2010 US Citizen

#4 Udella&Wiz

Udella&Wiz

Star Member

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Good idea on having your wife perhaps take an Adult English as a Second Language course - the local school system offers ddult night classes usually or the local Community college for cheap. Couldn;t do anything but benefit her.
Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization
02/22/11 - Filed
02/28/11 - NOA
03/28/11 - FP
06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview
06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter
07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life
07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA
Removal of Conditions
12/1/09 - received at VSC
12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter
01/12/10 - Biometrics completed
03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

#5 JohnJ500

JohnJ500

• PipPip

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

I just wrote something here and it disappeared.... I'll try again

Thanks for responses -- very helpful and appreciated. She seems to be doing well with learning the spellings from the word list in the USCIS book, and I think she'll be absolutely fine. I told her what Ara & Anya said, about the written part not being so important as the spoken part, and I told her to relax and enjoy learning. It is, after all, a good opportunity to learn things when usually we're too busy (I'm learning lots too!!)

Thanks again

#6 JohnJ500

JohnJ500

• PipPip

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

By the way. So it takes about a month to get a letter. How soon is her interview/appointment likely to be? Another 2 months, 4 months? Longer? Probably it varies. But how long did others wait?

I know I should just wait and see, a couple more weeks until she gets the letter, but I'm just trying to do some forward-planning for the end of the year, including travel, timing for visas (if a visa is necessary because when my wife gets her US passport she will no longer need a visa for the UK)

Thanks

#7 David-and-Mae

David-and-Mae

Proud to be Pinay

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

By the way. So it takes about a month to get a letter. How soon is her interview/appointment likely to be? Another 2 months, 4 months? Longer? Probably it varies. But how long did others wait?

I know I should just wait and see, a couple more weeks until she gets the letter, but I'm just trying to do some forward-planning for the end of the year, including travel, timing for visas (if a visa is necessary because when my wife gets her US passport she will no longer need a visa for the UK)

Thanks

Check out my signature... it will give you an idea on how long it takes... but of course, it all depends on what your local office is. You should be able to get more infos if you will check on the list of monthly filers.

BTW, I did an early walk-in Biometrics, and I think it kind of help speed up my processing.
N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox
04/06/2011 - Received
04/07/2011 - NOA
04/07/2011 - Check cashed
04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail
04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)
05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing
05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled
05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail
06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date
06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que
08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled
09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!
09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport
10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail
10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.
The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;
you end up being complete with your loved ones."

#8 JohnJ500

JohnJ500

• PipPip

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for your help. So it looks like two months from your biometrics to your interview. That's faster than I thought. New York might be slower. Let's see.

Check out my signature... it will give you an idea on how long it takes...

#9 JohnJ500

JohnJ500

• PipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hi all, nothing received so far. Is it possible to check the status online? My wife heard that is is possible, but I can't see where on the USCIS website. I just called the number on the I-797 (tel 1800 375 5283) and it says to check the status of an application, enter the receipt number which begins with 3 letters, then has ten digits, BUT if it contains * then use *. So my wife's is three letters, *, then 9 digits. I've tried * plus the 9 digits several times and it keeps telling me I did not enough enough digits. Why are these things so infuriating? Why have I just lost 25 minutes on this and got nowhere? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

#10 JohnJ500

JohnJ500

• PipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

Oh, sorry, I just found this: https://egov.uscis.g...d/CaseStatus.do
But it only tells me this: "On July 1, 2011, your N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was placed in line for interview scheduling. When scheduling is complete, you will receive a written notice with a time and place for your interview. Please check the website for further updates on your case."
Absolutely no indication of whether we expect to wait a month or 4 months for the interview.

#11 JohnJ500

JohnJ500

• PipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

Also on that page, as well as "Your current case status" where a bunch of circles are show marking each stage in the process, there is also a section underneath to estimate processing times. We select N-400 and then "Select an office". Is that the office closest to where we live? The office where my wife had her biometrics test (ELizabeth, NJ) is not on the list, so I guess we select Newark. In which case, Newark is the same as the national average of 5 months. But five months starting when? Any advice about this would be much appreciated. Thank you!

#12 Nes81

Nes81

• PipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Oh, sorry, I just found this: https://egov.uscis.g...d/CaseStatus.do
But it only tells me this: "On July 1, 2011, your N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was placed in line for interview scheduling. When scheduling is complete, you will receive a written notice with a time and place for your interview. Please check the website for further updates on your case."
Absolutely no indication of whether we expect to wait a month or 4 months for the interview.

Hi. I'm in same situation, i was placed in line for interview on the 7th of July, and still nothing. I went to the USCIS office here in Charleston sc, to let them know that my husband is going to be deployed and that I will be leaving as well, but still nothing. NSC where i sent my N400 did everything quickely and now is sitting in the office. It really up set me, because my husband wont be with us( our daughter and I) for a long time and plus he's going to miss such an important step in my life. Most lickely he wont be here, because if they give you a month to study, i'm sure I will be alone on the day of my interview and also the day of my oath. It sucks big time

Also on that page, as well as "Your current case status" where a bunch of circles are show marking each stage in the process, there is also a section underneath to estimate processing times. We select N-400 and then "Select an office". Is that the office closest to where we live? The office where my wife had her biometrics test (ELizabeth, NJ) is not on the list, so I guess we select Newark. In which case, Newark is the same as the national average of 5 months. But five months starting when? Any advice about this would be much appreciated. Thank you!

its from your priority date on the notice.

#13 JohnJ500

JohnJ500

• PipPip

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

Hi, sorry to hear that. Frustrating, isn't it.
Intrigued by your comment "they give you a month to study". Is that the general idea? My wife is doing quite well, but beginning to panic, because she heard of someone who apparently got the letter about a week after the biometrics interview and the naturalization interview was about 2 weeks later. So she's worried she's suddenly going to get the letter and have just two more weeks. But that would be record time, wouldn't it? I'm sure my wife has another month or probably two or three, but I'm not sure what I'm basing this idea on!

its from your priority date on the notice.

Sorry, I didn't understand that point. I was asking about the office, which one I should enter online.

Anyway, thanks very much and best of luck to you!!

#14 OKflyboy

OKflyboy

Platinum Member

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hi, sorry to hear that. Frustrating, isn't it.
Intrigued by your comment "they give you a month to study". Is that the general idea? My wife is doing quite well, but beginning to panic, because she heard of someone who apparently got the letter about a week after the biometrics interview and the naturalization interview was about 2 weeks later. So she's worried she's suddenly going to get the letter and have just two more weeks. But that would be record time, wouldn't it? I'm sure my wife has another month or probably two or three, but I'm not sure what I'm basing this idea on!

Sorry, I didn't understand that point. I was asking about the office, which one I should enter online.

Anyway, thanks very much and best of luck to you!!

Go to "find local office" and enter your zip code.
If someone gets an interview letter a week after bio and an interview two weeks later, they should feel truly blessed and not fret. Check out my signature.
Besides, 2 weeks is more than enough to learn everything anyway if a person possesses reasonable knowledge of English.

Ara & Anya - Tucson, Arizona

IR-5 for my (Anya's) mother

I-130
00 Filed: 03/08/2013

536 POE: 08/26/2014

Father

00 I-130 mailed to Phoenix Lockbox: 05/28/2014

07 NOA-1 received in the mail: Priority date is 05/29/2014: 06/04/201

149 Approved; NOA-2 sent: 10/31/2014

155 NOA-2 received in the mail; Case sent to NVC: 11/06/2014

NVC

Brother (7 years old, A2A through LPR mother)

I-130

00 Filed: 09/12/2014

03 Petition accepted at California Service Center, NOA-1 mailed: 09/15/2014

07 NOA-1 received; Priority date is 09/15/2014: 09/19/2014

#15 JohnJ500

JohnJ500

• PipPip

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for your reply. The option is to select, not find a local office, and there is a drop-down menu of offices. No way to search by zip code.

My wife has still not received her interview letter. It's now been over two months since her biometrics appointment. She did receive a letter on yellow paper stating "this is not an interview letter, but recommending some additional documents to take to her interview.

I checked online on the case status page of the USCISwebsite - https://egov.uscis.g...d/CaseStatus.do But it seems to be stuck on "Testing and interview", which is described as "APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was placed in line for interview scheduling".

Please can anyone confirm that this is all normal, or should we be worried about not having received the interview appointment letter? My wife is worried because other people she knows experienced a much faster process.

Thank you!

Go to "find local office" and enter your zip code.
If someone gets an interview letter a week after bio and an interview two weeks later, they should feel truly blessed and not fret. Check out my signature.
Besides, 2 weeks is more than enough to learn everything anyway if a person possesses reasonable knowledge of English.

Back to Top ↑