Messybrownhair

Life after K1 POE

53 posts in this topic

Thanks you so much for this, it'll be a very great help for me and for everyone whose leaving the PI soon :) Btw, when you say i-94 in your POE you mean the visa in your passport right?

Nope, you will be given another form on the plane, and its called the I-94 :) You give it together with your passport with visa! :)

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi messybrown,

thanks for this great post,I have on question though. The white I-94 little card is usually stapled to the passport..are we supposed to un-staple it and make front/back copies of it? It might be a stupid question but I was wondering if that's how you guys did. Thanks!

Hi messybrown,

thanks for this great post,I have on question though. The white I-94 little card is usually stapled to the passport..are we supposed to un-staple it and make front/back copies of it? It might be a stupid question but I was wondering if that's how you guys did. Thanks!

No its a legit question. :) I did unstaple mine to make copies and stapled it back. You don't need to though, you just have to keep it :)

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Great posting. Perhaps it coiuld be pinned so others have a guide to the process. I wasn't aware that we could get a SSN before we marry and get a marriage certificate so that's my next thing to take care of. It's so true that the journey never ends...along with the paper work and forms and fee's we still need to arrange to get a wedding ring, wedding dress, civil wedding, SSN, AOS, medical, etc.

The guide is very helpful to plan each step as we go long.

Thanks so much.

Great post. And now it's bookmarked so I can reference it later; in case it doesn't get pinned. Thanks. :thumbs:

Edited by B_J

Timeline

Wow! Thank you so much for a very detailed info! It's a big help for us who are just starting in our "journey." :D:thumbs:

I just want to ask, regarding that envelope that we will give to the immigration officer upon entry to the US, are they going to give it back to us?

Re the birth cert, does it need to be original?

Thanks again! :)

06/03/2010 - Engagement - Our Story

10/25/2010 - Filed I-129F - The Process

11/02/2010 - Received Notice from USCIS

04/20/2011 - Petition approved - My Experience

05/10/2011 - Received confirmation letter from USEM

05/30-31/2011 - Medical/Physical Examination - My Experience

06/15/2011 - USEM Interview (under 221g) - My Experience

06/20/2011 - Submitted docs via 2go

06/23/2011 - Docs forwarded to the consul

07/11/2011 - VISA APPROVED!!!!PRAISE GOD!!

07/14/2011 - VISA DELIVERED! HAPPY BLESSED DAY!

07/22/2011 - CFO Guidance & Counseling Seminar - My Experience

Wow! Thank you so much for a very detailed info! It's a big help for us who are just starting in our "journey." :D:thumbs:

I just want to ask, regarding that envelope that we will give to the immigration officer upon entry to the US, are they going to give it back to us?

Re the birth cert, does it need to be original?

Thanks again! :)

Nope, they wont return the brown envelope :)

Better to bring an original NSO BC with you to the US, but you only need a photocopy for AOS. The SSA might want to see the original :)

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

tnx steph for sharing!!!! :star::thumbs:

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Great posting. Perhaps it coiuld be pinned so others have a guide to the process.

I wish she would become a Moderator on VJ

She is young but very wise..............................

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share my experience to others so that it will hopefully help you guys as well. I know that the k1 process is stressful and getting the visa is a true victory. Sadly though, the stress will not end there because after POE there is another journey, but it will be better because you get to experience it with your loved one. :) I know a lot of people here have already successfully accomplished AOS so feel free to chime in and comment as well. :)

First and foremost, read up on the following:

VJ Link to AOS for k1/k2

Vanessa and Tony's guide

Here is what I did from POE onwards.. :)

1. POE

Don’t forget to bring the brown envelope from the embassy and hand it to the immigration officer, together with your i-94. Make sure all details on the i-94 are written legibly and correctly. Also, do not leave the airport without checking if all the details on your i-94 is correct (Your name, alien number, date of stamp etc) and DO NOT LOSE YOUR I-94.

2. GET A MARRIAGE LICENSE

Check your state laws for the requirements to get married.. Go to your local town clerk to get the license. Some may need a SSN, some won't. So you can interchange #2 and #3.

3. GET A SSN

K1 visa holders are allowed to get a SSN as long as they still have a valid i-94. It is recommended to go 10-14 days upon entry so that by then you should already be registered in the database. Now I have been told that there are some SSA who are clueless about k1 visa holders and refuse to give them the SSN until you have your green card. This is FALSE, and if this happens, ask for higher management and demand for it, because you are entitled to one.

Things to bring: Passport, I-94, NSO Birth Cert, SSN Form (you can get one there). If you go when you are already married, bring your MC.

Proof that k1 can apply for SSN

SSN Form

It should arrive in 1-2 weeks.

4. FIND A CIVIL SURGEON

Only if your DS-3025 is marked “incomplete” is a I-693 required to be completed. If it is marked as such (incomplete) you are required to complete certain portions of the I-693 and have a Civil Surgeon certify the form (and seal it in an evelope). Specifically, you will complete Part 1 (Information about you) of the I-693 and provide both the form and your DS-3025 (if you have it, proving your vaccination history) and any proof of required vaccinations that were completed prior to entering the US. If you do not have a copy of your DS-3025 you will need to provide sufficient evidence of your vaccination history to the Civil Surgeon (talk to the civil surgeon’s office to discuss what vaccination records they accept as proof). If you do not have proof of your vaccination history the Civil Surgeon may insist on re-administering all the required vaccinations prior to completing the I-693. Once the Civil Surgeon has has verified that all required vaccinations have been performed, they will complete form I-693 Part 2 (the vaccination section) and Part 5 (the Civil Surgeon’s Certification). They will then seal the form in an envelope and return it to you.

So this part is a little confusing because I have all the complete age-appropriate vaccines, and yet some people claim to have gotten RFEs for not having their I-693 transcribed so we decided that were gonna do it anyway to avoid any complications The trick here is to call around and find a civil surgeon who will not require you to do another medical, because your medical exam should still be valid for a whole year!

5. GET MARRIED AND GET THE (certified) MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE

The marriage certificate is important for AOS, so make sure you grab copies of it!

FILING FOR AOS:

AOS DOCUMENTS

1. Cover letter

In the checklist above it is recommended that you include a Cover Page with your application. While this is optional, filing a cover page will help the USCIS understand what benefit you are applying for and specifically what items you have included in your package. Again, make sure the cover page includes:

– the applicants contact information (name, address, phone number)

– A description of the benefit you are applying for ( Family Based Adjustment of Status Application)

– A table of contents listing the major items in your package (i.e. I-485 and evidence, I-765, I-131, etc)

– A line with the applicants signature and date

2. G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

3. Payment in the amount of $1,070.00 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (personal cheque)

4. I-485 – Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, signed & dated

5. Copy of birth certificate

6. Photocopy of passport biographical details page

7. Copy of K1 visa in passport

8. Photocopy of USA entry stamp dated

9. 2 passport photos (US passport size) – name and alien number printed lightly on back in pencil or felt pen

10. I-693 Filled up by Civil Surgeon (Bring DS-3205 and Vaccination Records)

11. G-325A – Biographic Information, including residence and employment attachments

11. I-864 – Affidavit of Support (TIM) +tax returns, employment letter, bank statement, pay stubs and proof of citizenship

12. I-864 – Affidavit of Support (Co-Sponsor) + Most recent tax returns and proof of citizenship

13. Copy of I-797 – Notice of Action, Approval of K1 petition, dated ##### (front & back) - AKA K1 NOA2

14. Copy of Marriage certificate, dated ##### (front & back)

15. Copy of I-94 – Arrival/Departure record (front & back)

EAD DOCUMENTS

Cover letter

1. G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

2. I-765 – Application for Employment Authorisation

3. 2 passport photos (US passport size) – name and alien number printed lightly on back in pencil or felt pen

4. Photocopy of passport biographical details page

5. Copy of I-94 – Arrival/Departure record (front & back)

6. Copy of Marriage certificate (to show name change)

AP DOCUMENTS

Cover letter (EXPLANATION FOR ELIGIBILITY)

1. G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

2. I-131 – Application for Travel Document (Advanced Parole)

3. 2 passport photos (US passport size) – name and alien number printed lightly on back in pencil or felt pen

4. Copy of K1 visa (to show present status)

5. Photocopy of passport biographical details page

6. Copy of Marriage certificate (to show name change)

File at:

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For courier/express delivery:

USCIS

Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

PAYMENT

Personal checks must be pre-printed with the name of the bank and the account holder. Also, the account holder’s address and phone number must be pre-printed, typed or written in ink on the check. All checks must be typed or written in ink.

1. Write the date you are filling out the check including: day, month and year.

2. On the “Pay to the Order of” line write: “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.”

3. Write in numbers the exact dollar amount of the fee for the service you are requesting. In the example, the amount is “$595.00.”

4. Spell out the exact dollar amount of the fee for the service you are requesting. The “cents” portion of the amount should be written as a fraction over 100. In this example, the amount is “Five hundred ninety-five and 00/100.”

5. Write a brief description of the purpose of your payment. In this example, it is “N-400 application fee.”

6. Sign the check using your legal signature.

IMPORTANT!

Make TWO copies of the entire package before you send it in. This includes the money orders too. You want to have a perfect replica of the package you are sending in. All Forms that you submit must be originals with original signatures. Supporting Evidence that you submit may be photocopies. Retain ALL original supporting Evidence since the USCIS has the right to check them by issuing an RFE (Request For Evidence). If you receive an RFE, follow the direction exactly, and make two copies of what you sent back. During any future interviews the USCIS may also want to examine the original supporting evidence.

Once you send it in, here is what to expect.

You will receive a NOA1 for all 3 applications, followed by a biometrics appointment. After that you either get an interview date or you get transferred to CSC and you'll be approved with no interview. But don't worry, I heard that the interview is not hard at all, so don't feel bad if you get one!

That's all, hope this helps my fellow kababayans and goodluck! Here's to hoping you have a happy life in the US, and have a smooth and RFE-free AOS journey! :)

hi, is it really necessary to file for advance parole? i believed they want $360 for this..thanks!

Timeline

Nope, they wont return the brown envelope :)

Better to bring an original NSO BC with you to the US, but you only need a photocopy for AOS. The SSA might want to see the original :)

Gotcha! Thanks mucho! :thumbs::dance:

06/03/2010 - Engagement - Our Story

10/25/2010 - Filed I-129F - The Process

11/02/2010 - Received Notice from USCIS

04/20/2011 - Petition approved - My Experience

05/10/2011 - Received confirmation letter from USEM

05/30-31/2011 - Medical/Physical Examination - My Experience

06/15/2011 - USEM Interview (under 221g) - My Experience

06/20/2011 - Submitted docs via 2go

06/23/2011 - Docs forwarded to the consul

07/11/2011 - VISA APPROVED!!!!PRAISE GOD!!

07/14/2011 - VISA DELIVERED! HAPPY BLESSED DAY!

07/22/2011 - CFO Guidance & Counseling Seminar - My Experience

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.