RyS

NVC Delays And Incompetence

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

So, I've now had two RFEs, and a lot of bad information from the operators I've spoken with. The first RFE was for filing a DS-230 instead of a DS-260. The second RFE was for not submitting 2 additional police certificates in addition to the national police certificate.

Then, I was told by an operator that I could send in scanned copies of the police documents via mail to NVC and they would be processed. When I called back, I asked if email was an option, and the operator told me that would be fine. So, I did both, just to be safe, and hoped that the email would be taken care of faster.

Today, I called NVC to check on the case and was informed that I can NOT send in copies of the police certificates... According to this operator, the other two operators were mistaken and I must submit originals directly to NVC. I have no idea who to believe or what to do at this point... They have informed me that they are processing the copies via email, and I'd hate to send the originals while the copies are processing and risk the originals being separated from our package IF we got approved before it arrives... This is ridiculous, these two RFEs have added over a month to our case now and it looks like we've got a third one on the way.

I'm about 2 weeks away from packing up and leaving the United States behind. It was the fault of USCIS and USPS that my wife had to leave last year, and now NVC is making the process impossible just when things were starting to look up for us...

Anyone know which operator is correct? I thought I read on here that others from Peru have submitted copies of police records to NVC and it hasn't been a problem, so I'm really hoping this last guy was just wrong and that the other two operators were right. He was pretty insistent that the others were just confused...

Edited by RyS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Timeline

Thanks a lot EAbbas, that actually is quite helpful, and leads me to believe that this last operator was mistaken. He insisted that we have only done a "partial-electronic" filing, yet we did the DS-261 and DS-260, which according to the link you provided means we have done electronic filing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks a lot EAbbas, that actually is quite helpful, and leads me to believe that this last operator was mistaken. He insisted that we have only done a "partial-electronic" filing, yet we did the DS-261 and DS-260, which according to the link you provided means we have done electronic filing.

Glad it helped LOL i really didnt know much about that bcos we were not given that option.... good luck sorting it all out!!!

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

yes those operators can be of no help at times....I hope everything works out in your favor.... :thumbs:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Acually I am surprised as they needed the orginal hard copys from me and would not accept emails or copies.

So, I've now had two RFEs, and a lot of bad information from the operators I've spoken with. The first RFE was for filing a DS-230 instead of a DS-260. The second RFE was for not submitting 2 additional police certificates in addition to the national police certificate.

Then, I was told by an operator that I could send in scanned copies of the police documents via mail to NVC and they would be processed. When I called back, I asked if email was an option, and the operator told me that would be fine. So, I did both, just to be safe, and hoped that the email would be taken care of faster.

Today, I called NVC to check on the case and was informed that I can NOT send in copies of the police certificates... According to this operator, the other two operators were mistaken and I must submit originals directly to NVC. I have no idea who to believe or what to do at this point... They have informed me that they are processing the copies via email, and I'd hate to send the originals while the copies are processing and risk the originals being separated from our package IF we got approved before it arrives... This is ridiculous, these two RFEs have added over a month to our case now and it looks like we've got a third one on the way.

I'm about 2 weeks away from packing up and leaving the United States behind. It was the fault of USCIS and USPS that my wife had to leave last year, and now NVC is making the process impossible just when things were starting to look up for us...

Anyone know which operator is correct? I thought I read on here that others from Peru have submitted copies of police records to NVC and it hasn't been a problem, so I'm really hoping this last guy was just wrong and that the other two operators were right. He was pretty insistent that the others were just confused...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Emotions run high as we go thru this, but be honest with yourself--the first two RFE's were on your shoulders--not theirs. And the third one isn't crystal clear. All I know is that for folks who follow the instructions precisely, this is a very easy and quick process.

That isn't meant to slam you, but to educate others who read this thread--FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS PRECISELY.

Timeline

Emotions run high as we go thru this, but be honest with yourself--the first two RFE's were on your shoulders--not theirs. And the third one isn't crystal clear. All I know is that for folks who follow the instructions precisely, this is a very easy and quick process.

That isn't meant to slam you, but to educate others who read this thread--FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS PRECISELY.

I'm not frustrated with NVC over the first two RFEs, though I'm really not sure how we could have known to file a DS-260 instead of a DS-230 until AFTER getting an RFE (up until that point I had no idea what a DS-260 was!). I just assumed I had overlooked something. As far as the other two police certificates go, I was made aware that we should check the US consular website in Lima specifically as they have a different requirement than that posted on the NVC page (which calls for one police certificate). Again, had I known where to look, this could have been avoided. We tried our best to educate ourselves by reading here, the family immigration site, etc. But alas, I never thought to check the consulate website to see if they required anything beyond the standard NVC requirements.

But, all of that aside, I have been very patient with NVC. Especially considering the fact that my wife had to leave the country last year because of a mistake either the USPS or USCIS made (we did not receive our interview letter for AOS, were denied, and USCIS refused to reschedule demanding that we prove that we had not received the letter). Still, we've followed the rules, and done the best we can to be informed about the process, but it seems Lima has several exceptions to most NVC cases. What frustrates me is that even the NVC operators are confused by those exceptions.

The gentleman I spoke with yesterday insisted that because we did a "partial" electronic filing, we could not submit photo copies. This countered what two previous operators had said, but he was sure that they were mistaken. I called back later last night after posting this and spoke to another operator who agreed with him. She told me that Lima was an exception, that they not only required electronic filing, but that unlike other consulates requiring the DS-261 / 260 Lima does not accept photocopies. She also made it seem as if MOST people are not aware that they must submit three police documents.

I was courteous, but firm in wanting to be sure that what she said was in fact true. She hesitated a moment, and then spoke with her supervisor. When she returned, she informed me that she had been wrong, as had the operator I had spoken with earlier in the day. Photocopies are fine. :bonk:

Edited by RyS

Timeline

Acually I am surprised as they needed the orginal hard copys from me and would not accept emails or copies.

This process is becoming somewhat more convoluted as the days go on, it really seemed easy at first, haha. But, if I can parse what four separate operators and a supervisor have told me into fact I believe that only consulates which allow / require electronic filing will accept scanned photocopies of documents. The idea is to speed up the process at NVC and verify the documents at the actual interview in the US consulate. Thinking about it, that makes a lot more sense than sending originals to NVC, then having those same documents forwarded and verified a second time at the US consulate.

Edited by RyS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi,I was also given incorrect information.In the issue of providing "copies" of police certificate and our marriage certificate,I found out later that they would not accept anything but originals of those two documents.Best of luck!

Timeline

But I believe that Nigeria still requires paper processing and the DS-230, correct? The confusion seems to be with the electronic filing, as many operators seem unsure whether copies or originals are required for the DS-261 / DS-260. I guess I'll find out soon... :thumbs:

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

The worst part of dealing with the NVC is there are now three separate tracks. DS-230 with ep, DS-230 paper and DS-260. It makes it difficult for people on VJ to help as most of us only had to deal with one of these. Then people at NVC aren't much help as they are less aware of hos things work than many of us are. Every call to NVC starts as retraining the person on the other end of the phone then hopefully getting a sensible answer. Hang in there it will be over with soon.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.