taniya

Checklist from NVC related to AOS

8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

We just have got a checklist from NVC in related to AOS package was submitted to NVC few days back as follow:

Please provide all requested documents and refer to page two for mailing instructions.

[x] The listed income tax documents/IRS statements for the years marked below are missing/incomplete

(if you have lost any of the requested tax information, contact your local IRS office to obtain a copy)

(Only Federal returns (not state or local) are acceptable unless the sponsor's income was earned in Puerto

Rico.)

• W-2 forms are missing/incomplete for the year(s): [x] 2010 [ ] 2009 [ ] 2008 [ ] 2007.

[ ] DO NOT CHECK THIS LINE

[ ] Information provided for line 25 value: {11152}.

I am also attaching a copy of line 25 from my I 864, which has been submitted to NVC.

Here above, it is clear to me that I have to send W-2 forms for the year 2010 to NVC along with a new I-864 Form. But I could not understand the other lines.

Did anyone in this forum ever deal with this issue or have heard about such checklist? Please share your experience or advice me in this concern.

I would highly appreciate your replies.

Thanks,

Taniya

line 25.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Taniya,

You DON'T need to redo a new AOS. Basically what you got is an RFE (Request For Evidence). All NVC is asking for is a W-2 for your tax year 2010 (just as they have checked in the box). It's not required for the years 2008/2009.

I would suggest you send only what they have asked for (in this case your 2010 W-2 statement. If you submit a whole new AOS, it's going to take more time and delay you further because NVC will think you are submitting all new information and will have to review everything again. So, just send what they have asked for AND, as a safety measure, print out another bar coded cover sheet (same as you sent with the AOS) to send with your W-2. That way they can identify the case and file quickly. Make sure to also send it by certified mail so you can track and confirm it has been delivered to/and received by NVC.

Also, so you don't get too anxious, be prepared that once they receive it it will probably take 14 to 20 days (this is a generic response by NVC) but, this is the response you can expect when and if you call NVC. Although it is one simple document that they are asking for. It is quite common that they can take up to 2 weeks before it shows 'received' in their system. With a bit of luck, it will be much sooner.

Despite this, don't hesitate to call regularly within a couple days AFTER your certified mail has been received by NVC (you can check your postal certified mail receipt on-line to confirm when it is delivered to NVC).

Best Wishes and Don't Worry,

~Bleauwolf

Timeline

Thank you so much for your kind reply & advise.

At the beginning, I thought so that NVC is asking for W-2 Forms of 2010 only, which I forgot to send along with my AOS documents. However, when I read the whole checklist (4 Pages) again, I found following information on -

3rd page:

_____"_FINANCIAL EVIDENCE:__________________________________________

A review of the I-864, I-864EZ, I-864W or I-864A (if applicable) Affidavit of Support form and supporting documents that you submitted has revealed that you have provided incomplete information in your response or you have not responded to some questions.

Please pay specific attention to the questions marked in the attached I-864/A checklist. You will need to complete and submit a new form with the changes noted on the attached checklist.

You will need to follow the instructions for the Affidavit of Support (I-864) that are posted on the Department of State website at the following address:

www.ImmigrantVisas.state.gov. From there, you can fill out a new form online, print the new completed form and mail it to NVC. If you are the Petitioner, please read all instructions and complete the correct form to submit to NVC. An Affidavit of Support form is required to be submitted from the Petitioner on each case regardless of his/her income level.

NVC will hold this case until you send us these needed items. When you return the documents to NVC, please make sure that the documents submitted are in the correct order and stapled together, as stated in the I-864 Important Notice instructions.

When responding to the National Visa Center, please include the bar code sheet that came with this letter. Failure to include the bar code sheet may cause a delay in the processing of your case. The bar code sheet should be placed on top of all documents being submitted for this case and mailed to the address provided."

And here is part of page number 4, which makes me confused :

Hopefully I was able to explain the checklist requirement to you. Do you still think that I should only send W-2 Form of 2010 taxation year to NVC or I also need to fill up a new I-864 form to send along with W-2 Form?

I guess I need to attach a new I-864 along with W-2, which I am preparing now. But I just don't understand, what did NVC mean by these three lines on page number 4 of checklist.

I will really appreciate to share your thoughts or suggestion in this regard.

Hello Taniya,

One thing I've learned from my experience and suggestions from people of this site; it never hurts one to provide more information than it is required. It is better to send more than getting and RFE and lose valuable time.

Fortunately for AOS you will not miss lots of time, rather the faster you can send the information, the better it would be. If they are asking you to re-submit the form again, just do it. If you have submitted it earlier, I am sure it wouldn't require more effort than copying everything to a new form (probably less than 30 minutes!!!!!).

I think sending the documents to NVC will get them in a confusion as to they have to find out your information and the figure out what goes where; hence they prefer a new application.

My suggestion as NVC requested for a new application, send a new application; make sure you attach all requirement information AND attach a copy of the checklist right below the AOS bar coded sheet. Based on how prompt you are (can't make an assumption as you don't have timeline) I doubt you will lose more than couple of weeks.

This is just my opinion and please don't take this as an expert view. Good luck

Timeline

Thanks Hellraiser & Rene for reading my post & put your suggestion back.

Sorry if I am annoying you again with same inquiry. I would like to let you know that I just called NVC now & even yesterday, spoke to two different person in order to get the right information in related to above concern. I asked them clearly, do I need to submit another I-864 along with W-2 form for 2010 or just W-2 Form. They both had told me the same - NVC is only asking for W-2 Forms of year 2010. I asked them again, why NVC had sent me a checklist letter that says " In order to make corrections you will need to download a new form at www.ImmigrantVisas.state.gov. You will need to complete and submit a new form with the changes noted below ". They said, they have got no information about resubmitting the I-864. So, it should be W-2 Forms only for year 2010.

Though, I would request you to read for me page number 4 from NVC Checklist as I have pasted it below ( underline was made by me ):

Checklist for I-864

NVC has reviewed the financial evidence submitted. However, additional information is required to complete the financial evidence review. The checklist below indicates missing or incomplete documents. In order to make corrections you will need to download a new form at

www.ImmigrantVisas.state.gov. You will need to complete and submit a new form with the changes noted below. Please provide all requested documents and refer to page two for mailing instructions.

[x] The listed income tax documents/IRS statements for the years marked below are missing/incomplete (if you have lost any of the requested tax information, contact your local IRS office to obtain a copy)

(Only Federal returns (not state or local) are acceptable unless the sponsor's income was earned in Puerto Rico.)

• W-2 forms are missing/incomplete for the year(s): [x] 2010 [ ] 2009 [ ] 2008 [ ] 2007.

I read in many post that NVC rep is only able to provide a limited answers to most inquiries & sometime they get incorrect information too.

Herewith, I have prepared the I-864 again as instructed by Hellraiser. But I got stuck on line # 25. If I am right, NVC asked me not to check two boxes in Line # 25. I followed that instruction, left these two boxes blank. But what did they mean by this sentence " [ ] Information provided for line 25 value: {11152}. "?

Did they ask me not to write this {11152} value in new form?

Hellraiser, do you have any suggestion for the above?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Timeline

Thank you so much for your kind reply & advise.

At the beginning, I thought so that NVC is asking for W-2 Forms of 2010 only, which I forgot to send along with my AOS documents. However, when I read the whole checklist (4 Pages) again, I found following information on -

3rd page:

_____"_FINANCIAL EVIDENCE:__________________________________________

A review of the I-864, I-864EZ, I-864W or I-864A (if applicable) Affidavit of Support form and supporting documents that you submitted has revealed that you have provided incomplete information in your response or you have not responded to some questions.

Please pay specific attention to the questions marked in the attached I-864/A checklist. You will need to complete and submit a new form with the changes noted on the attached checklist.

You will need to follow the instructions for the Affidavit of Support (I-864) that are posted on the Department of State website at the following address:

www.ImmigrantVisas.state.gov. From there, you can fill out a new form online, print the new completed form and mail it to NVC. If you are the Petitioner, please read all instructions and complete the correct form to submit to NVC. An Affidavit of Support form is required to be submitted from the Petitioner on each case regardless of his/her income level.

NVC will hold this case until you send us these needed items. When you return the documents to NVC, please make sure that the documents submitted are in the correct order and stapled together, as stated in the I-864 Important Notice instructions.

When responding to the National Visa Center, please include the bar code sheet that came with this letter. Failure to include the bar code sheet may cause a delay in the processing of your case. The bar code sheet should be placed on top of all documents being submitted for this case and mailed to the address provided."

And here is part of page number 4, which makes me confused :

Hopefully I was able to explain the checklist requirement to you. Do you still think that I should only send W-2 Form of 2010 taxation year to NVC or I also need to fill up a new I-864 form to send along with W-2 Form?

I guess I need to attach a new I-864 along with W-2, which I am preparing now. But I just don't understand, what did NVC mean by these three lines on page number 4 of checklist.

I will really appreciate to share your thoughts or suggestion in this regard.

Sorry for the late reply. You may have already done a new I-864 and sent it along with your W-2.

IF YOU HAVE NOT, I would strongly suggest that you call NVC and definitely speak with a SUPERVISOR (not just a regular operator). Pose the same question... i.e. you received an RFE that your 2010 W-2 was missing and needed. Is it necessary to send a whole new I-864? -OR- can you just send in the W-2 along with the barcode cover sheet.

NVC has a bad habit of generating letters which are obviously pre-formated and not carefully checked by the person sending it out, to ensure everything in that letter pertains to the specific case. (in this case... sending a whole new I-864 just because of one missing document).

Case and point... if you read my timeline, you will see that I had to deal with several incompetencies with NVC. One example which is similar to yours had to do with a missing supplement page for my wife's DS-230. They sent us a letter (very similar) and in fact, never stated what document was specifically missing (your lucky... at least they've told you what they need from you). Long story short, NVC also said in the letter that they had sent out a whole new DS-230 to be filled out again to my wife in China. In the end, it wasn't necessary (and would have delayed things considerably). After, speaking with a competent NVC supervisor at length, he confirmed all we had to do was send in the document they needed with the barcoded cover sheet. A whole new packet containing exactly the same information was not needed AND would actually cause further delay. I sent the single document with the cover sheet and it was received and joined the rest of the case without any problems.

Although my example and your situation are separate matters they are yet very similar. (RFE for packets sent in). Again, I would strongly suggest you call and confirm with an NVC supervisor. (If you haven't sent a whole new I-864 packet already).

While understand 'hellraiser's' points in their post. I don't agree with two things:

1) It is true that sending more information than that which is required is always better, BUT, I don't agree regarding your particular situation. Rather, including extra information is more relevant and pertinent regarding evidence of your relationship with your loved one (at the I-130 and interview stages). Not so much in the I-864 and DS-230 as they have straight forward specific questions.

2) The whole purpose of the bar coded cover sheet (and why they ask for it to accompany all documents... even if you send something in later), is to match up to your case efficiently and NOT cause confusion. I don't agree that sending a separate addendum at a later time causes a lot of confusion and takes more time to figure out where the document goes. I did it several times... never had anything get 'lost'. That's the importance of that cover sheet.

Without doubt, NVC is full of incompetence, my timeline will attest to that. Just because they send you a letter it doesn't mean all of it always correct. Unfortunately, it requires follow-up and verification. As my good friend Darnel always says, it's a balance of training them and always being proactive.

Sorry for the long response, but I want to get the information out there for you and others who encounter similar simple type RFE's.

Hope to hear from you and very best wishes,

~Bleauwolf

Timeline

Thanks Hellraiser & Rene for reading my post & put your suggestion back.

Sorry if I am annoying you again with same inquiry. I would like to let you know that I just called NVC now & even yesterday, spoke to two different person in order to get the right information in related to above concern. I asked them clearly, do I need to submit another I-864 along with W-2 form for 2010 or just W-2 Form. They both had told me the same - NVC is only asking for W-2 Forms of year 2010. I asked them again, why NVC had sent me a checklist letter that says " In order to make corrections you will need to download a new form at www.ImmigrantVisas.state.gov. You will need to complete and submit a new form with the changes noted below ". They said, they have got no information about resubmitting the I-864. So, it should be W-2 Forms only for year 2010.

Though, I would request you to read for me page number 4 from NVC Checklist as I have pasted it below ( underline was made by me ):

Checklist for I-864

NVC has reviewed the financial evidence submitted. However, additional information is required to complete the financial evidence review. The checklist below indicates missing or incomplete documents. In order to make corrections you will need to download a new form at

www.ImmigrantVisas.state.gov. You will need to complete and submit a new form with the changes noted below. Please provide all requested documents and refer to page two for mailing instructions.

[x] The listed income tax documents/IRS statements for the years marked below are missing/incomplete (if you have lost any of the requested tax information, contact your local IRS office to obtain a copy)

(Only Federal returns (not state or local) are acceptable unless the sponsor's income was earned in Puerto Rico.)

I read in many post that NVC rep is only able to provide a limited answers to most inquiries & sometime they get incorrect information too.

Herewith, I have prepared the I-864 again as instructed by Hellraiser. But I got stuck on line # 25. If I am right, NVC asked me not to check two boxes in Line # 25. I followed that instruction, left these two boxes blank. But what did they mean by this sentence " [ ] Information provided for line 25 value: {11152}. "?

Did they ask me not to write this {11152} value in new form?

Hellraiser, do you have any suggestion for the above?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Taniya,

Sorry I just saw your updated post. (I didn't see it when I wrote my previous post). Simply I will say... what I originally told you was correct. All NVC needs is you W-2 (and don't forget the barcoded cover sheet). Two operators told you the same thing as I did in my original response to you. AND, I guarantee if you call and speak with a supervisor they will tell you the same. NVC is only looking for your W-2.

Don't get confused when they say they only have access to limited information. That statement really pertains more to such things as not knowing exactly when your various documents will complete review and be approved; Or when you can expect your interview date; and so on. The review, entries, approval and scheduling of cases is handled by a different department in NVC (sometimes the consulate - depending on type of visa applied for). Yes, those things they have only limited information on and are dependent on the appropriate department to update the system in order to give some answers.

BUT, for such things as: when something has been received, when it is in review process or when something has been approved they DO have access to that information. AND they do have information when something in a case has generated an RFE. If the two operators told you they are not showing anything in the system that a new I-864 is needed and confirmed only the W-2 is needed than that's all NVC needs. (It's not because of access to limited information).

I completely understand your fear and anxiety about the letter you received and what it states. But, trust me when I say... there is a lot of incompetence and not enough double checking (on NVC's part) before they send a letter out. As I said, many of the letters are pre-formatted with boxes to check for the appropriate issue. But, no-one seems to go through and read if the narrative portion of the letter ALL pertains to the specific case. (See my previous post here and the example in my own case).

For your own peace of mind you can call NVC and speak with a supervisor just to verify what you have already been told by the two different operators you spoke with. I am completely confident that the end result will be the same. You are good-to-go with just sending in your W-2 and cover sheet.

Hope this helps a bit.

~Bleauwolf

Edited by Bleauwolf

Timeline

Bleauwolf,

I am overwhelmed with gratitude to you for writing me back. It has been a great help as you explained it in details.

After I read your experience with NVC, I agree with you that NVC does not prepare their documents properly before sending as it may needs some changes relevant to the case. Hence, I am going to send only W-2 Form of 2010 to NVC by tomorrow. Hope they won't send me another RFE in this concern.

Wish you all the best & thanks again for your kind replies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.