quickatie

how long does it take to file taxes late??

8 posts in this topic

our i-130 was sent today!! yay!

so, i've started on the i-864 stuff, but like many, i haven't filed my taxes in the US in years!! :(

after reading the posts from other DCFers like me who haven't filed in the US because of foreign employment (i'm the USC, have been living and working in italy for about 5 years now and only filed taxes for the first year i lived here :whistle:), my question is this: how lengthy of a process is filing for previous years??

luckily i have a CPA in my family and can get professional help filing, but once the papers are in are we talking weeks or months before i get any response?? or is the receipt of filing good enough to submit with the i-864?

thanks for any help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

there's an irs office in italy, have you found it ? can handle 'intake' of your forms.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would think all you would need is copies of the actual forms filed. Typically, you never get any acknowledgement of receipt from the IRS other than your refund. I know many say tax transcripts are better but I just used my returns as filed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

during tax season, IRS was claiming '6 weeks from mailing it in till tax transcripts are available' but for I-864 purposes, they'll want either copies of the 1040 plus all supporting forms, documents, etc (tax data) or tax transcripts.

You may run into some problems, regardless, as you probably don't have enough taxable income to prove up the poverty 125 percent guideline.

When you 'run the numbers' and find you don't have 'that' income, consider to transfer $$ to some USA bank account, apprx 60 to 70 K, then show those cash assets (as well) on the I-864.

You two thinking to file as married filing jointly? Does yer spouse have SSN? IF NOT - time to get an ITIN via IRS form W-7, but you'll be mailing all to the special W-7 address listed in the instructions (a lockbox in Austin TX).

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

wow! thank you all for your replies!

so if i'm understanding, i should just make a copy of all the forms i filed, and i guess the "irs-generated tax return transcript documenting late filing" as it states in the instructions (i read them over again carefully last night :)) and have all that ready to turn in with the i-864.

my husband and i are filing separately because we are newlyweds!! this tax year will be the first that we will file jointly.

i spoke with my CPA family member and she said if i give her the tax returns filed in italy it will be quick and painless. woohoo!!

as far as the sponsor-ship goes, my mom has happily agreed to be our joint sponsor. we will have no problem fulfilling the 125% poverty line requirement... thank god! i know that with my and my husband's meager income and near-nothing assets we would have never made it... especially since it's all foreign income!!

new question: my last US tax return was filed in 2006. should i just file 2010, 2009 and 2008 to meet the 864 requirements or throw 2007 in there for good measure? will they even care if 2007 is filed? are there pros and cons?

i'm sure this is all stuff i should have asked the CPA, but she had only mentioned filing until 2008 to meet the requirements.... any thoughts?

thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm in the same situation!

My American husband (sponsoring me) has not filed his US taxes ever.

I have an interview set for August in Montreal to get my visa.

We are just filing his 2008, 09, '10 taxes today, leaving only 7 weeks til my interview date!! I am sure I won't get a transcript in time.

What is "IRS-generated tax return transcript documenting late filing"? Do I need that??

I plan to bring a print out of (copy) of what we are filing --not certified, just a second print out from my computer.

But how do I prove that we really filed it if I can't get a transcript in time? Do the interviewers care?

I filed my taxes for 2009 and 2010 in the last 6 weeks and when I asked the embassy what I needed they said an IRS transcript was fine. It's not hard to order. It's free. You order it online from the IRS (all it asks for is your social security number, house address, birthday and what year you need) and they said they SHOULD send the tax transcripts in 10 working days. So I'm hoping it doesn't take too long. :-D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.