Luni

DS-260 form

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a bit confused with the DS-260.

Does my husband fill it out online and then mail out a package of the required documents? I'm not exactly sure what he needs to do at this point and I don't want to screw anything up. Which civil documents should I give him to send out aside from birth certificate, passport, and our marriage license? Are they able to be copies until his interview date?

I've read instructions and what not, but sometimes it's just better to talk to ppl who have experience with these things.

Together since 5-23-2002

Engaged 8-27-2008

Married 1-1-2010

Process began 9-1-2010

In my arms 2-28-2012

I'm a bit confused with the DS-260.

Does my husband fill it out online and then mail out a package of the required documents? I'm not exactly sure what he needs to do at this point and I don't want to screw anything up. Which civil documents should I give him to send out aside from birth certificate, passport, and our marriage license? Are they able to be copies until his interview date?

I've read instructions and what not, but sometimes it's just better to talk to ppl who have experience with these things.

Whoever is the beneficiary fills out the DS-260 online.

Then, you mail out the supporting documents. Or email them if you signed up for EP.

Supporting documents needed:

-bar coded cover sheet (from payment portal)

-cover letter (optional, but recommended)

-2 passport style pictures of beneficiary (with full name, date of birth, and case number written on back)

-copy of bio data page in beneficiary's passport

-original/certified copy of beneficiary's birth certificate*

-original/certified copy of marriage certificate*

-original police certificate of beneficiary*

*If you're snail mailing the package, then also include a photocopy of each of these documents as well as the original/certified copy

If you do EP, then you need to bring the originals with you at the time of the interview for the consulate to verify.

If you haven't done so, I'd suggest reading the wiki I wrote for the NVC stage when it comes to online forms and EP. The link is in my signature.

And of course, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be glad to help you :)

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I am waiting for my passport, but I have not needed it to travel to my husband's place which is only 15 minutes away (we are both living in border towns in BC) and my enhanced DL is sufficient. Does anyone know if I NEED to have my passport in order to complete this step? Just hoping for as few delays as possible during these final steps.

I am waiting for my passport, but I have not needed it to travel to my husband's place which is only 15 minutes away (we are both living in border towns in BC) and my enhanced DL is sufficient. Does anyone know if I NEED to have my passport in order to complete this step? Just hoping for as few delays as possible during these final steps.

Which step are you talking about?

Timeline

sorry, I was assuming everyone could read my mind...lol...I am just waiting for my IV Fee Bill to be sent and then i guess its the DS-260 we will be sending in with supporting documents. My enhanced DL was enough when I sent in documents with the I-130. I'm hoping its enough for this form too. Do you happen to know?

sorry, I was assuming everyone could read my mind...lol...I am just waiting for my IV Fee Bill to be sent and then i guess its the DS-260 we will be sending in with supporting documents. My enhanced DL was enough when I sent in documents with the I-130. I'm hoping its enough for this form too. Do you happen to know?

Are you the petitioner or beneficiary?

Sorry for the questions, but it'll help to answer your original question.

I am the beneficiary. My husband lives in WA state...I live in BC (btw, not thrilled that Vancouver doesn't do these interviews)

Haha, I bet. I'm sure it'd be a lot more convenient than flying all the way to Montreal. Although, you can at least get your medical done in Vancouver if that's any consolation.

Anyways, on to your original question. The passport will definitely be needed at the interview as that's what the visa is placed in. As for the IV package, I'm pretty sure your enhanced DL won't suffice. And there's a question on the DS-260 that asks for your passport number and such. Unfortunately, I see no way around not submitting a copy of your passport with the IV package and as the question on the DS-260 is mandatory, you won't be able to continue with the online application. Do you not have a passport?

And by the way, since you're the beneficiary, your passport wasn't required with the I-130 package. Only the petitioner's was required (if they weren't using their birth certificate to prove US citizenship). The only thing required solely of the beneficiary with the I-130 was a passport picture and a completed G-325A.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.