Captain Ewok

Immigration Guides for Foreign Relatives

87 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Mod Notice: Do not ask questions about your case in this thread. This thread is for general information. Please start your own thread, explaining your case in as much detail as possible and asking your question. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

for sponsoring a sibling, is it still currently a 11 year wait until your application gets looked at?

also, i am trying to understand these cut off dates in this link for processing time for F4 category

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/Cut-off_Dates_worldwide_online.pdf

can someone help me better understand them please?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Brazil
Timeline

<!--quoteo(post=2186925:date=Sep 5 2008, 07:06 AM:name=TayRivers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TayRivers @ Sep 5 2008, 07:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2186925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2186614:date=Sep 5 2008, 01:08 AM:name=Corey3368)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corey3368 @ Sep 5 2008, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2186614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My wife and I are considering petitioning for my wife's mother. I am a USC and my wife is a Green Card holder. Is it possible for me to petition for my mother-in-law ( my mother-in-law lives in Colombia)

If it is possible, can you refer me to more information on this site.

Also, has anyone else gone through this process and how long did it take?

Thank you<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can not petition for your Mother-in-law, you wife will need to become a Citizen first then she can file an I-130 for her Mother the process is almost the same as it is for an IR-1 and will take about 12 months from the time your wife files the I-130.

As I said your wife will need to become a Citizen first.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your time. Not the answer I was hoping for but at least we now know.

Thanks again

I know how you feel. My wife wanted to do the same thing for my mother but I had to become a citizen. Now that I have become a citizen I am in the process of her moving here. However, NVC's website is very confusing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

hi friends,

as you are all are applying for you parents, you really know the process and clear my doubts.

Kindly answer these querries.

My mothers complete name is not written in my birth certificate.

what can i do now.

whether a notarized statement of relationship between my mother and I is enough?

did anyone come across anything like this?

pls help

God is Good All The Time

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Peru
Timeline

I am a US citizen and my dads inmigrant visa just got approved but i need to know if i can buy one way ticket from Peru to USA or does it needs to be round trip ticket and my other question is if the tickets can be to any State Of the USA or needs to be exactly to my State of residency?? because i want him to meet my husband that is station in oklahoma right now and then drive to my house in Virginia.help please thank you

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I am a US citizen and my dads inmigrant visa just got approved but i need to know if i can buy one way ticket from Peru to USA or does it needs to be round trip ticket and my other question is if the tickets can be to any State Of the USA or needs to be exactly to my State of residency?? because i want him to meet my husband that is station in oklahoma right now and then drive to my house in Virginia.help please thank you

One way is fine. He will be fine flying into any US city. There is no restriction on his travel into the US on the immigrant visa.

hi

Im a USC and i want to file petition for my sister and her daughter what a want to know is the time does the process take for dominican republic. some people has tell me the it take 10 years is the true.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, currently it takes about 11.5 years, Of course, it may take a couple of years more or less by the time her turn comes.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Yes i have seen this doesnt say anything what to do after is accepted !! the whole national visa etc

General Guide for Immigrating Siblings to the US.

General Guide for Immigrating Children to the US.

USCIS FAQ Guide for bringing foreign relatives to the US: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A1.pdf

Visa I 130 for Step Daughter

Sept 2010-- Getting documents ready. sent BC out for translation.

March 1st 2012-- Sent documents to USCIS

June 15th 2012 EMAIL OF APPROVAL !!

Dec 15th 2012 -- Interview scheduled ( 1-23-2013)

Jan 9th 2013--Medical Exam

• 3 months later...
Filed: Country: India
Timeline

USCIS FAQ Guide for bringing foreign relatives to the US: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A1.pdf

=====================================================================================================

Hi Ewok ,

I want to file I-130 and I-485 (AOS) concurrently for my parents, when they are in US , on visitor visa . you are an expert , so you must have more information . You may wish to clarify .

1.0 If their petitions are not approved during 6 months of permitted stay as per I-94, then can they extend their stay in US ? How long ? Will they not be treated as illegal immigrants ?

2.0 Some opinions indicated that “ USCIS may deny the petitions coz if a visitor takes steps to become a lawful permanent resident after reaching USA, USCIS may perceive that to be contrary to the intent represented while obtaining the visitor visa earlier , and determine that the visitor has violated the terms of his or her stay , granted under visitor visa. “

Thanks

===============================================================================================

Filed: Timeline

Can someone point me to resources or information and correct me if there is a better avenue for the following:

I'm a US Citizen and my wife came to the US in November of 2011 last year using IR (Immediate Relative) Family based visa. She is a greencard holder, she is planning to become US Citizen in 2 more years when she qualify.

My wife took care her cousin's kid since newborn until last year. The kid is now 10 years old.

We decided to adopt this child.

So here is what we are thinking:

a. finalize adoption paper now, both of us will be the parents. I figure this will take 6 month to a year in foreign country.

b. when my wife become US Citizen in 2 years then we bring our adopted child to the US using I-130 Petition for Alien Relative. The Hague Adoption Convention is not an option for us.

so the rules:

- adoption finalized before 16th birthday is fulfill.

- lived with her at least 2 years before or after adoption is fulfill.

- the child must in legal custody at least 2 years is also fulfill.

anything else that I miss?

All your help and insight is very appreciated.

Edited by Maling Cewek

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The USCIS FAQ link doesn't work - can someone please correct? I'm searching site for information about how to purchase plane ticket for spouse upon receiving CR-1/IR-1 visa.

• 2 months later...

I have a qick question about this process

I am a US citizen we just started the process of petitioning my mother

-form I-130 is sent an approved

- DS-3032 accepted

- Affidavit fee has been paid

Now i need to send the affidavit support form but there is 3 different I-864, I-864EZ, I-864A, and I864W

I Am not sure if I need the I-864 or the I-864EZ, I am a full time employee but my taxes are filed with my husband (not just me like is described in the instructions for the I-864EZ)

Is here anybody that know what to do now??

Thank you all!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

The USCIS FAQ link doesn't work - can someone please correct?

USCIS links:

US Citizen family visas

US Permanent Resident family visas

Family based forms (with all the fees)

I haven't found any general USCIS FAQ page for family visas yet.

ALSO, for family living abroad - much of what is contained in the NVC guides (Flow chart, James' shortcuts and LingChe shortcuts) and on this wiki page is pertinent to the family visa process, but some is different. I haven't found a family visa (non-spouse)-specific wiki page at VJ yet.

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.