KASH2011

My Medical Examination @ IOM Nairobi Kenya

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

MEDICAL EXAMINATION AT IOM NAIROBI KENYA 24TH TO 25TH MAY 2011

Hi all, here’s my personal timeline Medical Examination Experience that i had at the IOM in Nairobi Kenya .

On 24th may 2011 was my initial appointment date @07:30, i got to IOM at about 06:50 (it took me 35 minutes to walk there..a good morning walk i must say!)

*07:10- the receptionist arrived and let us all into the reception waiting lounge then for she took passport copies of those who were there for the first time and for that day’s appointment.

*07:35 – all those (including me) for that day’s appointment were asked to move to counselling room 1 for a short counselling session

*07:40 – counselling began, it was just a basic heads up of what we were to expect throughout the whole medical examination process and where to go if we got stuck...blah blah... oh and non English speakers were separated then moved to another room so they could get interpreters for them.

*08:00 – we were issued with consent forms to sign

*08;15 – Counselling done then back to the reception desk, picked up my passport plus an invoice or payment advice slip then was asked to board a white (Toyota Hiace) van that was waiting outside to take us to Nairobi hospital for the chest Xray..... i got the cool sit of course lol

*08:20 – The van leaves for Nairobi hospital and gets there in about 5 minutes.

*08:25 – we were directed to the xray waiting lounge

*08:30 - i turned in ma invoice slip,passport and consent form then sat back down. I noticed those that came with kids were given a small consent form to sign and hand back.

*08:40 – i was called to the desk to confirm my passport was handed over then was also asked for a 2X2 passport photo that was attached to the DS-3030 xray worksheet ( i thought it should be the ds-3024..oh well). Passport and all paperwork handed back to me then sat back down again.

*08:45 – called into the xray room and had it done in less that a minute...damn it was cold in there!

*09:15 – back to IOM, went straight to lab and handed in consent form then sat outside.

*09:30 - I was called in then asked to show my passport and was also asked for a 2X2 passport pic that was attached to the Ds-2053 form, blood sample taken then moved the next desk where this guy took a digital photo of me so they could have in on their file in the system ! so he said.

*09:45 - i went to the vaccination room, handed in my past month vaccination certificate /records, the lady jokingly says...uuh you had your vaccinations back home so u don’t give us money uuh??...i responded and said well i got it for free...any how..she made copies of it then wrote me another pay slip with only one vaccination(Influenza) required. I was directed to the cashier.

*09:50 – i went to the cashier’s window, paid 13,820 Kshs (2,331 for Influenza shot and 11,489 for the medical assessment)got my receipt then returned to reception desk to confirm the time for the next day appointment which was 08:00.

*10:00 – i was out and done with Day 1. It all went smooth.

Day 2 : 25th May 2011

*07:10 – arrived @ IOM and waited at the main reception

*07:45 – 2nd day returnees including me were directed to reception number 2 past the lab.

*08:05 - Number stubs were issued to all by the receptionist. Mine was number 3.

*08:10 – A nurse shows up calling numbers 1to 4, she asked for the stubs and receipt,she walks into the room across then picks up paperwork including the big size xray/crx films/negatives then asked us (1-4) to move to reception number 3.

*08:11 – she calls me in, asked for my passport, asked a few basic health questions, took my BP test, eye sight test, measured my height and weight then had me sign a form .

*08:17 – back at reception number 2 and waited for the next phase.

*08:50 i was called in to the Health Assessment room, had my ENT examined, arms, legs, mouth, eyes, my stomach and back were all examined. I was told everything seems to be normal, the blood test was ok and the xray findings were normal too. So all i had left was for me to get my vaccination then she would forward my file to the Embassy the next morning. She then handed me my xray film and got me to sign a form that i had received it.

*09:30 – went to the vaccination room past the main reception and had my shot taken then asked to wait for my certificate.

*09:40 – i got my DS-3025 vaccination worksheet (with a mistake..wrong passport number i asked them to correct it though)

*09:52 – i got my corrected Vaccination record DS-3025 and was soooo done with the Medical Examination. All in all it went well. Pheeeew !!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Nicely written and very clear,would you please tell me what other types of vacination I need to get,I would prefer to get them from the local clinic its cheaper.

Hi there Nalu,

Am very sure you'll need the following vaccinations taken:

MMR : this one is for Measles Mumps and Rubella.

Dultavax: this one is a combination of Tetanus and diptheria toxides

Varicella: if i remember right this one is for Chicken pox

Influenza: this is a must have!

At the end of the day once you have all these shots and a record of them,believe u me...you'll save about US $150 if not more and the time as well!

Hope i answered your question.

• 7 months later...

hi. I have a question. on the consulate information page for nairobi on vj, they list a huge list of required vaccinations:

-- Acellular pertussis

-- Hepatitis A

-- Hepatitis B

-- Human papillomavirus (HPV)

-- Influenza

-- Influenza type b (Hib)

-- Measles

-- Meningococcal

-- Mumps

-- Pneumococcal

-- Pertussis

-- Polio

-- Rotovirus

-- Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids

-- Varicella

-- Zoster

do I really have to get all of those?

most other consulates have it broken down by age group. Does the Nairobi require ALL those?

our actual timeline.

<-- not that one.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

schedule atleast a week in advance...we thought ours was scheduled for the june 24th because i got an email back saying that was when it was, we got there and they said it wasn't scheduled until july...we explained that our interview was july 3rd and that we had an email stating it was that day. they said it was probably their error and let wilson complete paperwork that day and come back the next day for his lab tests, x ray and check up. we also had to go to a CBA bank to pay the fee for the appointment. there is a CBA bank at the village market. the next day he went and got 3 immunizations (tetanus/diptheria, MMR-measles/mumps/rubella, and Influenza), blood test and chest xray. they said to come back the following day for results. we came back and it wasn't ready, they said next day. the next day we called and said they wouldn't be done until the following monday! today is monday and we can't get through on the phone. i would get the appointment as soon as you can, because you can never tell how many delays there will be. the village market is very close to IOM. the IOM---by the way has moved from westlands to gigiri. the address is 78 united nations crescent, gigiri. if you take a matatu to the village market, gigiri (30 or 40 shillings from the stage by the fire department and the westlands stage in nairobi. the sign on top of the matatu says UNEP- ride it all the way to village market-conductor can let you know when that stop is) you can walk through village market to the back entrance on united nations crescent. take a right and walk to number 78. anyone around can help you with directions. (taxi will cost about 1000 from downtown nairobi to IOM-they may not know where IOM is, so you can say 78 united nations crescent or village market) at the village market there are nice restaurants, shops, even a photo place to get the photos you need for medical exam-and they are high quality photos that are instant. 500 shillings for 4 photos. the IOM instructions said to bring 2, but they took 3 of my husbands and we don't know why. He went on the first day for four hours (7:30-11:30) for the paperwork. the second day he went in at 8:30, then they let him leave around 12 to get the correct kind of photo taken, then he went back for another two hours. he was told by a councilor there that it'd be better to get an HIV test somewhere else, as the test at the IOM takes too long for results and is more expensive. hopefully the papers are ready today. we will try calling again, but if they don't answer we will just show up and see if they are ready. hope this helps.

Edited by SamanthaP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.