kenh86

letter of intent and financial support

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Two part question for the K1 visa:

1. is it mandatory or optional to write a letter of intent for K1? because on the bottom of the I129F under certification, you agree to marry your fiance within 90 by signing the document.

2. last year on my 2010 tax return i didnt meet the 125% poverty level. right now i am preparing to apply for the K1 visa for my fiance and I just started a new job in january which will be way over the poverty line. If i dont have my 2011 tax return but do have my new job pay stub's, do i still need a co-sponsor?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My understanding is that proving financial support is not really an exact process for K-1. I'd imagine that if you bring your paystubs from your new job, that would probably be sufficient. But having a co-sponsor as a backup plan never hurts! You won't have to prove this until the interview process though.

And yes, you need to both sign letters of intent that you submit with the I-129F packet. Then the petitioner has to sign another letter of intent within 30 days of the interview.

Edited by missingmycanadian

12/3/10 - I-129f mailed to Texas

12/10/10 - NOA1 - Petition off to California

04/14/11 - NOA2

04/25/11 - NVC sent petition to Montreal

05/02/11 - Montreal receipt, Packet 3 sent

05/04/11 - P3 docs off to Montreal

05/05/11 - P3 docs delivered to Montreal

05/09/11 - P3 logged in Montreal and Packet 4 sent

08/03/11 - Interview - APPROVED

08/05/11 - Visa Issued (Printed)

08/17/11 - Visa-in-hand

08/18/11 - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I will address your support question. GUZ will be looking for evidence that you will be able to support your future wife. They ask for 3 years of taxes because they want to see a trend of gainful employment. A newly acquired job is great, but not as powerful an indicator as a solid salary over several years. This doesn't mean you won't be approved, just telling you the rational. If possible, line up a sponser and have their taxes and paperwork in the ready in case GUZ doesn't like what they see from you. If 2010 was your only off year, then I wouldn't worry too much, they know the economy has been shifting lately. Just have 6 months of paystubs for the current job, since you will have that many by the time you get to the consulate stage since you are just now applying. Hope this helps~! :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Two part question for the K1 visa:

1. is it mandatory or optional to write a letter of intent for K1? because on the bottom of the I129F under certification, you agree to marry your fiance within 90 by signing the document.

2. last year on my 2010 tax return i didnt meet the 125% poverty level. right now i am preparing to apply for the K1 visa for my fiance and I just started a new job in january which will be way over the poverty line. If i dont have my 2011 tax return but do have my new job pay stub's, do i still need a co-sponsor?

1. Yes, mandatory

2. Attach your last years tax return and current income evidence. If you currently meet the standards you are fine

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. as for the letter of intent, my fiance is not that good in english, so should i write the letter of intent in chinese and have her go to the notary office to translate and notarize it, or just write it in english and email it to her, print it out and sign it and send it back to me?

2. i was doing a part time job last year while i was in school, and all i need was an extra $500 just to be over the poverty level! that sucks.. btw i only have the 2009-2010 tax return and both not meeting the poverty line cause i was a part time in school. I just graduated and started a full time at a bank, so the pay stubs with last years is fine right?

1. Yes, mandatory

2. Attach your last years tax return and current income evidence. If you currently meet the standards you are fine

Agree

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1. as for the letter of intent, my fiance is not that good in english, so should i write the letter of intent in chinese and have her go to the notary office to translate and notarize it, or just write it in english and email it to her, print it out and sign it and send it back to me?

2. i was doing a part time job last year while i was in school, and all i need was an extra $500 just to be over the poverty level! that sucks.. btw i only have the 2009-2010 tax return and both not meeting the poverty line cause i was a part time in school. I just graduated and started a full time at a bank, so the pay stubs with last years is fine right?

Use the sample letter here. Add her name and the appropriate date and tell her "sign here" Done. My wife NEVER, EVER filled out a form, wrote a letter, or did anything else except to sign where I told her. This is not that complicated.

Stop worrying about last year, how are you going to change it? Read the I-134, it asks your CURRENT income, That means now, today. When you fill out the I-134, state your current income on the day you sign it and attach documentation of that. Recent check stubs, employer letter, etc.

You can worry about something else now.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.