Messybrownhair

Reporting marriage to the Phil Consulate

36 posts in this topic

so we tried to report our marriage to the phil consulate and we just got a call saying we need our marriage cert to show how many times we've been married or something.. Vermont's marriage license and certificate is combined and we gave the official one. anyone else encounter this?

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Timeline

We had to provide a copy of our marriage certificate, photocopies both our passports, her green card, etc., and both our picture ID's. It we had it, they wanted to see it and get a copy of it.

Don't sweat it. It's just like being in the Philippines, so enjoy the Filipino bureaucratic experience.

Should only apply if the citizen of the Philippines has been previously annulled. We got out requirements here

Marriage registration

Should only apply if the citizen of the Philippines has been previously annulled. We got out requirements here

Marriage registration

That is going to vary by consulate. Check the consulate for your region for exact requirements.

Is it mandatory to register yr marriage with the Philippine consulate in the Usa ???

-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Is it mandatory to register yr marriage with the Philippine consulate in the Usa ???

Nope. Only if you want to renew or amend a Filipino passport to reflect a name change. The other option is to get an affidavit of one and the same to account for the different names on the green card and Filipino passport.

Actually if you do not report the marriage within 12 months, and report it after 12 months, you will need to supply additional information explaining why you are filing the report late. It is a requirement if your wife wants to get her married name in her Philippine passport. When you submit the requirements to the Phils Embassy in Wash DC, they review it to make sure all of the requirements are met and then they forward it in their Diplomatic mail delivery to DFA Manila and DFA submits the info to NSO. You supply an addressed express mail envelope and enclose the proper postage for them to mail back to your home after the original approved form is returned back to the Phils Embassy in Wash DC from the DFA Manila. Also if you and your wife have a child born in the USA you will need a copy to submit with the report of birth to the Philippines. Same if you have a child and want to get the child a Philippine passport but you have to take the child to the Embassy for the passport picture. It appears as if you are in Jacksonville Florida and I have read the Phils Embassy periodically has an outreach trip there occasionally for things of this nature. I am in Charleston SC and no outreach is ever scheduled here so I had to travel to Wash DC to get our business taken care of. It really is up to you, it is not like they will deport your wife if you do not report it, but makes some things later easier. I went to the NSO web site and ordered online a copy of our marriage certification from NSO on NSO paper and it took less than 3 weeks and it was delivered registered mail. Cost $20.00. I try and cover all bases for anything that may be required in the future. I can imagine standing inline in Manila for hours and hours to get a copy of the certificate of marriage. Requirements vary by consulate office. Each Phils consulate office in the USA have their own web site. IF U must know!!!! :pop:

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/index.php?page=consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#marriage

REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGE

Note: The place of marriage determines which Consulate the report should be filed. Please check the Consulate Finder.

BASIC REQUIREMENTS

1.Four (4) original duly accomplished Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form signed by the husband and the wife

2.Four (4) identical colored photographs of the husband and four (4) identical colored photographs of the wife, 1.77 in. x 1.37 in., plain white background, taken within six months before the date of application, showing a clear front view of applicant’s face without eyeglasses. (Blurred or low quality photos are not accepted.)

3.One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of the Marriage Certificate or Contract. (Original will be returned)

4.Report of Marriage Processing Fee: US$25.00 (non-refundable, payable only in cash when personally applying, or money order or certified check payable to the Embassy of the Philippines or Philippine Consulate General, as applicable, when applying by mail or courier; personal check and personal money order are not accepted.)

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

IF FILIPINO SPOUSE WAS PREVIOUSLY MARRIED AND DIVORCED, OR PREVIOUSLY MARRIED AND MARRIAGE WAS SUBSEQUENTLY ANNULLED

One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of the Judicial Decree of Divorce or Annulment

NOTICE

Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines or Executive Order No. 209 (as amended by E.O. No. 227, promulgated on 27 July 1987) provides that:

• All marriages solemnized outside the Philippines, in accordance with the laws in force in the country where they were solemnized, and valid there as such, shall also be valid in this country, except those prohibited under Articles 35, 37 and 38.

• Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law (underlining and highlighting supplied.)

thanks everyone!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, sis... may expiration ba pag report? kinasal kme noog august 24 til now hindi pa ako nag report? wala bang penalty .. Nkalimutan ko kc na mag rereport sa Embassy katapos ng kasal .. Sis Teach me panu mo e s nend ung Report Marriage???

photo-103321.jpg?__rand=0.46320700+1304640739

Our Timeline

12/08/10--I-129F Petition sent

12/10/10--Petition received

12/14/10--NOA1

12/31/10--Touched

05/05/11--NOA2 Approved

05/09/11-Received NOA2 hardcopy

05/16/11--NVC recieved case

05/20/11-Manila Embassy received case

06/09-10/11-Medical

06/16/11--Interview

06/17/11--CFO/Prism

06/25/11--Visa Delivered! Thank you Lord Jesus!

07/01/11--POE!!!

Hello, sis... may expiration ba pag report? kinasal kme noog august 24 til now hindi pa ako nag report? wala bang penalty .. Nkalimutan ko kc na mag rereport sa Embassy katapos ng kasal .. Sis Teach me panu mo e s nend ung Report Marriage???

I know ur asking this to the OP ..but i had recently filed/reported mine which is already 21 months past since the wedding took place, which at this time it requires an explanation of 'late' registry - (not penalty)... but they didn't asked/required the so called 'explanation letter'. 2 weeks later we received in the mail our "report of marriage" copy (2 copies). You can either mail your report of marriage application direct to the consulate or go file personally. We went to the consulate ourselves.

PH Consulate San Francisco requirements:

5 copies of Marriage Certificate

5 copies of MY Birth Certificate

5 pictures each for wife & hubby

5 copies (each) of Identification (eg.passport, DL, State ID) of wife & hubby

$25.00 filing fee

Self-stamped return envelop

check your area as sometimes requirements varies.

Btw, Happy wedding!! :yes:

K1 Visa

01-31-2009 I-129F to USCIS-CSC

02-19-2009 NOA1

03-24-2009 NOA2

06-21-2009 Medical(The Polyclinic, Dubai UAE)

06-28-2009 Interview @ USE AD (approved)

07-01-2009 Visa ready for pick up @ USE AD

07-07-2009 went to pick up my visa (ready 2 fly)

=

09-11-2009 POE-SFO(no questions asked,just a reminder 2 get marry within 90 days)

=

09-28-2009 applied for SSN at Sac., Ca(no hassle)

10-05-2009 received SSN card on mail

11-04-2009 applied for marriage license @ Sacramento County, Ca

11-18-2009 married (marriage certificate on hand-same day)

11-25-2009 I-693 signed by CS(MMR-$70, Vericella-$70, I-693 Form- $15)

=

12-23-2009 mailed AOS to USCIS, Chicago Lockbox (FedEx)

12-28-2009 recvd by USCIS

01-04-2010 check cashed by USCIS

01-08-2010 received NOA1 (I-797C) for I-485, I-765 and I-131

01-11-2010 recvd ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics

01-25-2010 Biometrics Appointment- West Sac, CA

**alls well @ Biometrics-less than 20 mins.

03-04-2010 recvd notice for AOS interview date

03-04-2010 EAD card production ordered (online notice)

03-08-2010 AP (I-512L) approved-recvd in mail (dated 3/2/10)

03-11-2010 EAD recvd on mail

04-06-2010 AOS interview, APPROVED! Bye USCIS til 2012- Sac, CA

04-15-2010 GC Welcome letter received fr mail

04-16-2010 GC recvd on the mail (Yiihaa!!!)

=

03-08-2012 ROC I-751 mailed to CSC via USPS Priority Mail

03-12-2012 ROC recvd by CSC

03-12-2012 NOA1 (revd on mail 03/19/12)

03-15-2012 ROC check cashed

"Thank you to God and to VJ"

• 3 years later...

here's a good question - are there any Benefits to NOT filing the ROM ?? thanks !

I'll answer your necro-post:

Yes, you won't have to spend any more money, and you won't have to do any more paperwork.

here's a good question - are there any Benefits to NOT filing the ROM ?? thanks !

That question will be answered when you try and renew your Filipino passport. You won't be able to.

But if you become a USC then there is no need for a Filipino passport so no need to file your ROM.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.