Beau & Digna

Carta de Invitacion

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Cuba
Timeline

The Cuban “Carta de Invitacion” is confusing to me, and I have searched other posts on the topic in the VJ Cuba Portal and elsewhere on the internet. I just returned from Cuba this week, and at the immigration office in Havana, they told us that the invitation needs to be submitted to the Cuban Embassy/Consulate here in Washington DC. I’m not sure we even need one for a K-1 Fiance visa…Do we need this? And where have other K-1 petitioners applied? How do we apply if necessary? Is there a form, or just a letter from the K-1 petitioner? I’m not sure what is required, or of what to submit. I’d also like to know the timing for when to submit the “Carta de Invitacion”. I understand it’s valid for 1 year, but is it required to have a US K-1 visa first?...We don’t want to wait months for the “Carta Blanca” after receiving the US visa if possible. Any recent experience with the Cuban exit process is much appreciated. Best wishes to all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Carta de invitacion is all on the cuba side of things. Everything depends in how he plans to leave from Cuba. What is he asking for?

PRE? Salida INdefinitivo? Salida definitiva? This will impact the exact documents he needs. Given that he is leaving under k-1 he could qualify for PRE if he waits. Is that what you guys are going for? The Carta Blanca takes a long time because he needs to have proof that he has no bank accounts, property and/or outstanding debts/penalities in Cuba.

who suggested you needed a carta de invitacion. Usually you need the carta blanca.

In any event here is the official info on the letter of invitation:

http://www.cubadiplomatica.cu/sicw/EN/ConsularServices.aspx#LetterofInvitation

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Switzerland

Marriage (if applicable): 2009-07-28

I-130 Sent : 2010-08-07

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-08-10

I think you confused the carta blanca with a carta de invitacion but for k1 visa you dont need a carta de invitacion because he is not staying supposedly he just has a visa for 3 months to get marry..off course then you can do AOS but that's something different...you dont need a carta de invitacion for k1..good luck..everyone in regards on cuba is always a little miss informed..

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Cuba
Timeline

I respect your advice Rumba and Claudia, but I’m not convinced that the “carta de invitacion” isn’t necessary for those applying for a K-1 visa. We made it clear that we were doing a fiancé visa at the Havana immigration office, and they still told us it was necessary to submit “carta de invitacion” to Washington DC. I believe the purpose of the “carta de invitacion” is to assure that the Cuban will be fully financially supported in the US for a short term visit (30 day vacation/visit), or even for the duration of the 90 day fiancé visa. I think they want evidence of this support for whatever the reason the exit is. I have the impression that the “carta de invitacion” is the application (so to speak) for the “carta blanca”, but is the “carta blanca” different from any other exit permit (PVE, PRE, PSI) put in the cuban’s passport? Is a PVE, PRE, PSI considered a “carta blanca”?

While on the subject, I understand that for a K-1 visa, the Cuban must apply for a PVE, and after marriage in the US they can adjust to a PSI ONLY here in the US. I don’t believe PRE is an option for here in the US (ONLY OTHER COUNTRIES).

Best wishes to all.

Timeline

1. Cuban receives his K-1 Visa from the US Interests Section.

2. He applies for and receives the PVE (Permiso Viajar al Exterior) which is also known as the Tarjeta Blanca from one of the MINREX offices. It is a temporary exit permit that is valid for 30 days. As part of the process the Cuban and his US sponser--who may be any US citizen/resident, not necessarily his fiancee--buys the Carta de Invitacion.

3. With K-1 Visa and PVE in the passport the Cuban now has his documents in order and leaves Cuba for the US.

4. The Cuban and his fiancee marry within the 90 day period allowed by the K-1. The Cuban will need to extend the PVE in order to be in compliance with Cuban immigration law. This is done through the Interests Section in DC and the cost was $150 a month. I suspect it is more now.

5. After the marriage the Cuban applies for the PSI (Permiso Salida Indefinida), again through the Interests Section in DC. It took approximately 8 months for my wife to receive this document. NOTE: A Cuban cannot apply for the PSI if the PVE has expired---although I know of people who were able to retroactively pay the $150 p/mo fee to bring it up to date. Once the PSI is issued it is no longer necessary to maintain the PVE.

6. The PSI allows the Cuban to retain certain basic rights of citizenship--the most important being the right maintain ownership of property in which they have an interest. They need an entry visa issued by the Interest Section in order to return. This is usually a 90 day permiso although it can be extended for up to 11 months for a monthly fee.

7. A Cuban who does not apply for PSI status and allows his PVE to laspse defaults into the classification of Permanent Salida. In order to enter Cuba they must go through the process known as habilitacion of the passport, but they cannot do this until they have some formal residency status in the US (ie. Conditional Permanent Resident status) They can enter for a period of 30 days with a habilitated passport and that is extendable for an additional 30 days. NOTE: These entry requirements in no way change the limitations on family visits that the US government places pursuant to the OFAC's Cuban Assets Control Regulations.

Keep in mind that the PSI is a Cuban process and is totally unrelated to the Adjustment of Status on the US side of the equation.

Event Date

Timeline

I respect your advice Rumba and Claudia, but I’m not convinced that the “carta de invitacion” isn’t necessary for those applying for a K-1 visa. We made it clear that we were doing a fiancé visa at the Havana immigration office, and they still told us it was necessary to submit “carta de invitacion” to Washington DC. I believe the purpose of the “carta de invitacion” is to assure that the Cuban will be fully financially supported in the US for a short term visit (30 day vacation/visit), or even for the duration of the 90 day fiancé visa. I think they want evidence of this support for whatever the reason the exit is. I have the impression that the “carta de invitacion” is the application (so to speak) for the “carta blanca”, but is the “carta blanca” different from any other exit permit (PVE, PRE, PSI) put in the cuban’s passport? Is a PVE, PRE, PSI considered a “carta blanca”?

While on the subject, I understand that for a K-1 visa, the Cuban must apply for a PVE, and after marriage in the US they can adjust to a PSI ONLY here in the US. I don’t believe PRE is an option for here in the US (ONLY OTHER COUNTRIES).

Best wishes to all.

No the PVE PRE and PSI are not considered carta blancas. The Carta blanca is something you buy from the bank after you have your visa. It is one of the final things submit to migracion when the Cuban is about to leave. Because this is not a salida definitiva you don't have to go through the checks like you would a reclammacion familiar. Yes PRE is not an option, PSI is our only option. It is basically PRE, although I know of a few cubans who have PRE. It is by a case by case basis. Truth be told, its very weird.

Hope this helps

Event Date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

This is all really confusing. So, maybe I am missing something. From the 5th post it seems like you are saying that you *DO* need a letter of invitation if your fiance is leaving on a PVE ?

Separate question, for how many months can you extend the PVE ?

My Timeline

Dec 2008: Met my baby

Dec-July: Spend a million dollars on phone calls :)

July 2009: Visit to Havana

February-March 2010: Live together for the first time

April-December: Emails and texts and chats oh my !

January-March 2011: Together again ! Sooooo happy

November 2011: Went to Havana for the interview and we were approved ! Now on the the carta blanca

________

K-1 Visa:

03-24-2011: File I-129F

03-28-2011: NOA1

03-30-2011: Touch

04-22-2011: NOA2

04-29-2011: Case Forwarded to Havana

04-19-2011: My fiance received packet 3

11-01-2011: Interview Appointment. Approved!!!

11-02-2011: Received Visa

04-25-2012: Arrival in LA Airport!!!

06-08-2012: Married!!!

Adjustment of Status:

07-24-2012: Mailed AOS papers along with AP and EAD

Timeline

Yup you need the carta. i don't know about the extension.. i think it's up to 11 months.

Event Date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.