planetrock0529

EAD waiting period - how long does it take after biometrics?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm new to visajourney.com and just registered today. Great way to communicate with people in similar situation such as myself :)

I sent my AOS package (I-485, I-765 and I-131) on Feb 23rd, NOA receipt received on March 4th and just completed my biometrics on March 31st. My question is...how long did it take for your EAD to be issued after biometrics? I know each case is different so that's why I want to know :)

To be honest, I can't wait to get my EAD so I can apply for a social security number, get a drivers license and work! Some might say to concentrate on the positive such as "consider it a long vacation" or "enjoy being together physically with your loved ones" but "not working" and "not being able to work" is a completely different stress factor. I already feel like I waited enough that I practically ran out of things to do :(

If anyone can share their EAD waiting experience it would be great! Hope to hear from anyone who has time in their hands :D

P.S.

When I went to get my biometrics done, the immigration office was EMPTY. I overheard the officers discussing that it's "slow" this few months. It might be wishful thinking but I hope this will speed up the process ;P

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Port of Entry - Los Angeles, CA

Switching from a tourist visa.

2011-01-21: Date of marriage (Los Angeles, CA)

I485-APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

2011-02-23: Documents filed

2011-03-04: NOA 1 (Notice of receipt)

2011-03-11: ASC Appointment Notice

2011-03-31: Biometric appointment

I765-APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

2011-04-22: 1st EAD Approval (Card/ Document Production) online

2011-04-27: 2nd EAD Approval (Card/ Document Production) online

2011-04-28: USCIS Status moved to "Post Decision Activity" online

2011-04-30: EAD card IN MY HANDS!!!

What visa are you adjusting from? EAD is not an employment visa, it is a temporary work authorization document that will be valid until you get a desicion on your AOS, so you should be posting in either the AOS from family based or AOS from work, student and tourist visa -forum..

There is really no way to sya how long the EAD will take. The best way to get an idea of the processing times is by looking at VJ user's timelines and signatures and see how long it has taken from biometrics to EAD. I think the average is somewhere between 3-5 weeks from biometrics to EAD - but, as said, it can be faster and it can take longer. I think there is some sort of a USCIS guideline that states that EAD should be issued within 90 days from when the AOS application was submitted, but it can take over three months as well.

Most people here have the sigantures in the bottom of their posts, that's a fast way to see how long it has been taking. You can check out the AOS from work, tourist and student visa forum, and look at the case filing & progress reports sub-forum. There are threads for people who have filed in OCtober, November, December and January, and most of them have their EADs, so you can look at their signatures and see how long it took for them to get the EAD.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

2-3 months from when you sent in your package. Early biometrics usually doesn't affect the time, though it can. I'd say you have at least a month before it is approved. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

What visa are you adjusting from? EAD is not an employment visa, it is a temporary work authorization document that will be valid until you get a desicion on your AOS, so you should be posting in either the AOS from family based or AOS from work, student and tourist visa -forum..

There is really no way to sya how long the EAD will take. The best way to get an idea of the processing times is by looking at VJ user's timelines and signatures and see how long it has taken from biometrics to EAD. I think the average is somewhere between 3-5 weeks from biometrics to EAD - but, as said, it can be faster and it can take longer. I think there is some sort of a USCIS guideline that states that EAD should be issued within 90 days from when the AOS application was submitted, but it can take over three months as well.

Most people here have the sigantures in the bottom of their posts, that's a fast way to see how long it has been taking. You can check out the AOS from work, tourist and student visa forum, and look at the case filing & progress reports sub-forum. There are threads for people who have filed in OCtober, November, December and January, and most of them have their EADs, so you can look at their signatures and see how long it took for them to get the EAD.

Ooops, posted on the wrong forum...my bad! I entered the US through the K-1 visa. Thanks for the pointers!

2-3 months from when you sent in your package. Early biometrics usually doesn't affect the time, though it can. I'd say you have at least a month before it is approved. Good luck.

That's reassuring to hear! Thank you :)

Port of Entry - Los Angeles, CA

Switching from a tourist visa.

2011-01-21: Date of marriage (Los Angeles, CA)

I485-APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

I765-APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

2011-04-22: 1st EAD Approval (Card/ Document Production) online

2011-04-27: 2nd EAD Approval (Card/ Document Production) online

2011-04-28: USCIS Status moved to "Post Decision Activity" online

2011-04-30: EAD card IN MY HANDS!!!

• 11 months later...
Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

After the USCIS Biometrics Appointment

Fingerprints will then be analyzed by the FBI within a month’s time. If you get an additional biometrics appointment notice within the next few weeks, don’t panic — it’s common for the prints to be smudged, and fingerprints will need to be retaken for a proper background check. USCIS will not charge an additional fee for any additional fingerprinting work.

If the FBI flags or rejects your biometrics, you will be required to present police clearance reports from every state or country you’ve lived in proving that you do not have an extensive criminal record.

USCIS biometrics are valid for 15 months. If your application is not processed within 15 months, USCIS will most likely send another notice for a biometrics appointment.

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Use nice words, ignore dirty words Share everything except bad ideas

Say your prayers, thank God for this family.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

If they take money from your account for AOS and EAD, does t hat mean that everything is ok with the papers and that they wont ask for additional paperwork?

event.png

If they take money from your account for AOS and EAD, does t hat mean that everything is ok with the papers and that they wont ask for additional paperwork?

Nope. They take the money so they can start looking over what you have.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Nope. They take the money so they can start looking over what you have.

Ok, and now I've got Form I-797C Notice of Action. They will schedule a biometrics appointment.

Do you maybe know how long is waiting period for them to schedule the appointment? We sent papers 10 days ago and they are already sending Notice of Action, is this usual procedure?

Thx.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.