D. Ahmad

I-130 initial review wait

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

i filled out an I-130 for my husband in pakistan and got the NOA1 on February 18, 2011. when i checked the uscis website it says the case is in its initial review. how long does the initial review usually take? and what is the process after the initial review is complete? thanks in advance

Initial review last until it is either approved or disapproved or you receive a RFE (Request for Evidence). The period is usually 5 to 6 months. Consider yourself lucky if it happens sooner.

Good luck

Edited by bestofboston

K3 visas are no longer being approved. IR1/CR1 is the only process being done for married couples. The USCIS process takes typically 5 months.

The NVC to Interview typically takes 5 months for IR1/CR1. Go to timelines and see how long it takes for your country after receiving NOA2 approval from the USCIS.

Plan on 10 months to 12 months from NOA1 to interview. That way you won't be disappointed if it takes a year.

Visa Journey trend data shows 174 days from NOA2 to interview

Timeline

K3 visas are no longer being approved. IR1/CR1 is the only process being done for married couples. The USCIS process takes typically 5 months.

The NVC to Interview typically takes 5 months for IR1/CR1. Go to timelines and see how long it takes for your country after receiving NOA2 approval from the USCIS.

Plan on 10 months to 12 months from NOA1 to interview. That way you won't be disappointed if it takes a year.

Visa Journey trend data shows 174 days from NOA2 to interview

i applied using a lawyer and he said he was applying using the k3 visa. does this mean if i applied for a k3 visa it automatically transfers to a ir1/cr1 process? thanks!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

automatically? no.

The two casefile types run in parallel, regardless of lawyer involvement.

Your lawyer not read often, or much - see http://www.visajourney.com/news/2010/02/07/department-of-state-to-close-k-3-visas-if-i-129f-and-i-130-petitions-approved-and-received-together/

Since it's 'more work for him' perhaps he wanted the fees for filing the additional petition?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Thank you Darnell, Great Information.

I filed a K-3 Visa to bring my spouse from Turkey in November. We are still in initial review. 5 months is upon us. This is the most painful thing I have ever been through including the loss of my mother and brother. It is hard to stay positive because of the fear of how long this will take, but I believe we just count ourselves lucky if we get approved in 5 months. I know many people are getting approved in 5 months so the government is trying to keep on schedule, but I think 5 months is cruel. They should add more processors and cut this wait time way down because it very very very stressful and painful. Just my two cents.

Terry

NOA 1 November 15, 2010

NOA 2 August 25, 2011

Closed NVC Ocotber 11, 2011

Interview Date: January 12,2012

Thank you my wonderful God in Heaven.

Filed: Timeline

i filled out an I-130 for my husband in pakistan and got the NOA1 on February 18, 2011. when i checked the uscis website it says the case is in its initial review. how long does the initial review usually take? and what is the process after the initial review is complete? thanks in advance

i also filled out an I-130 for my wife in pakistan and got the NOA1 saying they received on jan 24th, 2011. and also when i checked the uscis website it says the case is in its initial review. i dont know how long it will take be we filled almost at the same time so i think we should let us know each other abt case...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

i applied using a lawyer and he said he was applying using the k3 visa. does this mean if i applied for a k3 visa it automatically transfers to a ir1/cr1 process? thanks!!

You didn't apply for anything. You filed a petition. When it is approved, your spouse will apply for a visa, a CR1 or IR1 visa, depending on how long you've been married. Your lawyer may intend to file a second petition designed to provide the option of later applying for the K3 visa, but that position will die a quiet death upon arrival at the National Visa Center. Any extra money paid to the lawyer to assist in filing that second petition was wasted and potentially, unethical. At the very least it indicates the lawyer is way out of date on his continuing education about the spouse immigration process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

You didn't apply for anything. You filed a petition. When it is approved, your spouse will apply for a visa, a CR1 or IR1 visa, depending on how long you've been married. Your lawyer may intend to file a second petition designed to provide the option of later applying for the K3 visa, but that position will die a quiet death upon arrival at the National Visa Center. Any extra money paid to the lawyer to assist in filing that second petition was wasted and potentially, unethical. At the very least it indicates the lawyer is way out of date on his continuing education about the spouse immigration process.

thank you!!

i also filled out an I-130 for my wife in pakistan and got the NOA1 saying they received on jan 24th, 2011. and also when i checked the uscis website it says the case is in its initial review. i dont know how long it will take be we filled almost at the same time so i think we should let us know each other abt case...

no problem! ill keep you updated

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I filed my I-130 and I-129f at same time within same packet on 29th of MARCH 2011 and recieved NOA on 31 MARCH 2011

NVC will then say "goodie goodie" when the have an opportunity to "kill" another I-129F upon arrival there. Hint: USCIS has never once issued a visa of any kind.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I received I-797C saying my I-130 was received on Nov. 30th 2010, so I'm guessing from what I read here, it will be 5 months for around May 1st until the next move is made? My wife is from Thailand and I'm using the Southern Cal. office of Laguna Niguel if it matters?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I'm using the Southern Cal. office of Laguna Niguel if it matters?

That's the CSC (California Service Center). You would have sent your I-130 to the lockbox facility in Chicago and from there it was sent to the CSC.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

my question is we just fill the I-130 and other forms who decided that is it k3 or what visa ?

thanks 4 replying

You would file the I-130 for a CR-1 (IR-1 if you have been married 2 or more years). All you need to file is the I-130 and let it run its course.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.