Bleu

Arranged marriage?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Me and my fiancee are both Hindi and have been arranged to marry. She is in India and I am in America. We have never meet and we are not aloud to meet until marriage. We attend to have a traditional marriage here in America, due to my current health conditions. The problem is, I read that you can not apply for fiancee visa without meeting? Is there anyway at all that I can send for my bride? Or have any recommendation for a good consultant?

What is the specific reason that you cannot meet until marriage? The only way to waive the meeting requirement is either to prove that it is impossible (ie neither of you can physically travel out of your respective countries, not just that it is hard to do so but it is impossible) or to prove that it is against your religion to do so. And that latter is hard to prove, or hard for USCIS to accept. It would have to be documented that within your particular subsect of your religion it really was impossible for the couple to lay eyes on each other before marriage. This is hard to prove as it is rare for a religion to actually dictate that a couple can never see each other in the street, you know?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Me and my fiancee are both Hindi and have been arranged to marry. She is in India and I am in America. We have never meet and we are not aloud to meet until marriage. We attend to have a traditional marriage here in America, due to my current health conditions. The problem is, I read that you can not apply for fiancee visa without meeting? Is there anyway at all that I can send for my bride? Or have any recommendation for a good consultant?

You don't really have a choice. You can do the K1 route which requires having met in person in the last 2 years, or you can get married and go the Cr-1 spousal route.

The Cr-1 requires you to be married so she will require a tourist visa to marry you, or you'll need to get married in India. I don't know how hard it is to get visitor visas from India to the US.

You can TRY and get a waiver of the meeting requirement but I've read it is VERY hard to get and if you are denied the request then you will lose the money for the application.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

due to my current health conditions. The problem is, I read that you can not apply for fiancee visa without meeting? Is there anyway at all that I can send for my bride? Or have any recommendation for a good consultant?

You mentioned your current health conditions, would a doctor say those conditions absolutely preclude you from flying to India? Keep in mind that the "physically impossible" that JoannaV references often means living in a bubble or iron lung. As for the no being allowed to see each other prior to marriage, you can apply for a waiver, but you will have to jump through many, many, many, many, many hoops proving that your religion prohibits meeting before marriage. Again, as JoannaV said, it's very difficult to prove and those that have obtained those waivers would probably be the first to tell you just how hard it is.

so she will require a tourist visa to marry you, or you'll need to get married in India. I don't know how hard it is to get visitor visas from India to the US.

Entering the US on a tourist visa with the intent to stay and adjust status is FRAUD. She can get a tourist visa, marry you, and then return to India and then you file for a CR-1. However, she would have to show strong ties to India before being issued one.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I know many Hindus who met before marriage. They may not be allowed to be alone together, but they can meet with a chaperone or in the female's family's home. There is a waiver available if you truly cannot meet, but it will be costly and take a long time, and chances of getting approved are extremely slim- I have only ever seen one case. You would need to proof that this is absolutely, completely forbidden in your culture, not just "not normally done".

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

While we don't know the details of your medical condition and how serious the extent of it is, the 'cultural' reason is simply not going to fly. I am a Hindu myself and nowhere in the religion is it absolutely forbidden to meet before marriage. I have attended countless Hindu weddings (including arranged marriages) and all of the couples had met each before the wedding ceremony. In fact, I remember being the 'chaperone' when my cousin was looking for a suitable wife and we were visiting the prospective brides at their homes. I was like, ten or twelve then, and it was mad awkward being shuffled into the room with the couple which would allow them half an hour or so to talk in (relative) privacy.

Like Penguin pointed out, while your family may be conservative and traditional, you would need documented proof that meeting prior to marriage is completely forbidden and not simply inappropriate in your family's eyes.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Thank you all for your feedback. We aren't allowed to met due to her past engagement where her finance forced her into sex, before the we to marry and left after he had his way with her. The rule with my health condition is I suffer with agoraphobia and literally have attempted to jump out of a moving car out of fear. Spazing out it a car is one thing. Even if i were allowed permission to see her before marriage, or marry in India before even meeting. I would still have to make it to an airport as well as survive a 24 hour flight without attempting to escape the plane or injuring myself.

Why does our government seem to be treating marrying foreigners as a crime? Seems as if we are guilty until proven innocent... We are their masters, after all.

i dont think that's an excuse good enough for them to approve a k1 without you 2 meeting in person. my fiance has height phobia, a bad one, and he still travelled 20 hours with the plane just to see me this winter, and 20 hours back in america.

148280zkcv79ffi3.gifDeeDee & Sam 426064ng1n3ghbqw.gif

766837489_784932.gif

from filling I129F to POE- exactly 6 months

for k1 steps and dates check my timeline
AOS approved took 7 months you can chack my timeline for details

ROC

October 6th- mailed package

as1cJVfNw2k0710MTMybHN8MDQyMTdqc3xXZVwnd

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you all for your feedback. We aren't allowed to met due to her past engagement where her finance forced her into sex, before the we to marry and left after he had his way with her. The rule with my health condition is I suffer with agoraphobia and literally have attempted to jump out of a moving car out of fear. Spazing out it a car is one thing. Even if i were allowed permission to see her before marriage, or marry in India before even meeting. I would still have to make it to an airport as well as survive a 24 hour flight without attempting to escape the plane or injuring myself.

Why does our government seem to be treating marrying foreigners as a crime? Seems as if we are guilty until proven innocent... We are their masters, after all.

Well, the system works for most people...you understand that you are a very special case. So therefore if you can obtain as many professional doctors and psychiatrists opinions about your condition, then you might be eligible for a waiver.

Don't forget that you don't NEED to in India, you two can meet anywhere you two can get together. For example, Mexico.

What about heavy sedation during the car and plane ride?

Do you make enough income to support her?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Forgive me, but why can't she travel here to meet you? Couldn't she come over on a visitor's visa in order to make contact?

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The scenario you describe does not preclude her from meeting with you though in the presence of family to "keep her safe". They will not accept a previous rape, as sad as this is, for you not to meet. You can meet in a public place and/or with her family present. She will at the very least need to apply for a tourist visa a couple of times (a chaperone can apply too) and be denied for them to accept that she cannot meet you. As mentioned above, also investigate the possibility of you travelling (by car sedated? Train?) to Canada or Mexico, if she cannot get a tourist visa to the USA.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Inappropriate judgmental post and post quoting same have been removed. If you have nothing constructive to add to this discussion, then keep your judgments to yourself and do not participate at all.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Entering the US on a tourist visa with the intent to stay and adjust status is FRAUD. She can get a tourist visa, marry you, and then return to India and then you file for a CR-1. However, she would have to show strong ties to India before being issued one.

I'm aware of that however thank you for clarifying the "she would have to leave" part. I figured that was obvious as the beginning of the statement was: "The Cr-1 requires you to be married so she will require a tourist visa to marry you..." but you're right I should have mentioned that she would then need to leave to file CR-1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.