6 posts in this topic

Salut! Vous allez postuler pour le I-130 à Paris... vous ne savez pas quoi qui vous attend? Dessous vous trouverez ce que j'avais fait.

Okay, so enough of the French. I just filed for my wife's I-130 in Paris (March 18, 2011).

First off, I recommend checking with the Embassy if you can actually file directly with the Embassy. Secondly, I recommend that you try to establish a few contacts within the DHS or Consular Immigration Section, call the switchboard and ask to speak directly to a DHS agent. This way you avoid the emails to the general inbox, which in my case were largely ignored.

Secondly, go here: http://france.usembassy.gov/iv-filingparis.html and make sure that you bring exactly everything listed there. I'd also recommend to bring your supporting evidence.

Thirdly, make copies of everything. It's best to have at least 3 copies of everything from the forms to the affidavits.

Fourth, arrive early. Even though the above cited website says that the initial application is only from 9am - 10am, arrive early because you can still wait in line. I arrived with my wife at 8:33am and we were the 11th in line.

Fifth, if you have a child and you are also applying for the child, bring him/her along.

Sixth, bring something to read. You'll probably be waiting around for a good hour to an hour and a half.

What I brought:

I-130**

G-325a** for myself (the petitioner)

G-325a** for my wife

DS-230**

Acte Intégrale de Mariage** (+N**)

Passport Photos for my wife and I (There is actually a machine where you can do it within the embassy at 4 euros for two pictures)

Passports* (My Passport)

Passports* (If your spouse has dual citizenship, bring both passports he/she possess)

Supporting Evidence:

Letter from my sister-in-law of our relationship** +N

Letter from my father of our relationship** + N

Letter from my father-in-law of our relationship** +N

Letter of the Evolution of our Relationship** +N

66 pictures from the beginning to present day of us

Travel Itineraries and Boarding passes of all the places we've been

Bank Statements (if you have a co-account)

Emails we've sent to each other dating back to the first week we started dating (2008)

Petitioner's Birth Certificate** (They don't ask for this on the website, but if you have it, bring it with you)

Letter of Acceptance from the University we'll both be studying at. ** (Only if it's a copy: +N)

Proof of Residence in the States (if you have a perm. address there) Something like property tax etc

Cards we received when we got married

My wife's birth certificate** plus N

-legend:

* = copy

+N = notarized

While the website for filing in Paris says that if the documents are either in French or English you don't need a translation. You might as well get the marriage certificate and birth certificate translated as you'll probably need a copy or two when you'll be in the states for whatever reason. I also got all documents translated Notarized as well. If you don't have the money to get all of them notarized, at least get the Marriage Certificate and your spouse's birth certificate notarized. If you can't bring in an original of any document, you can bring in a certified copy, which any town hall can do.

The interesting thing about the process:

Our number was called and the first person took only the documents listed on the "Filing in Paris" site, and I had to pay (cash or credit card) at another window. Then we were told to be seated and that another person would call us up. About an hour later we get called by the second person who hands us back our passport and tells us the next steps that will take place. It's the second person that will collect your supporting evidence. But in our case, the nothing was collected with regard to our supporting evidence. He said, "It's the people who prepare too much that don't need to prepare at all." So basically, bring all the supporting evidence that you have. That way, if you don't need it, it's good. But if for some reason you do, you got it right there. The person also asked us when we wanted to be in the States and I said, "Beginning of August." He replied that we had enough time, so not to worry.

Misc. Advice:

1) Read the I-130 Instructions as many times as it takes before you know it front and back.

2) Find out what the next step will be. What documents you'll need to have for the second and third steps

2a) You'll need a police certificate of all places your spouse has lived for more than 6 months (Get these documents as soon as you start filling out the I-130 and other documents).

3) Participate in the Forum as much as you can and read everything you can on the DCF process

4) Get a DHS contact number or email as soon as you can. This will speed up the process in getting answers back to your questions.

5) Be calm, and change your routine so that you can get everything done and on time.

Hope this helps.

Met in France: 10/26/2008

Engaged in the States: 12/11/2009

Married in France: 12/06/2010

Filed I-130 in Paris (DCF): 3-18-2011

Received Packet 3 : 03-23-2011

Received Packet 4: (Can't remember date)

Interview: 06-16-2011 **APPROVED**

Religious Marriage : 6-25-2011

POE Dulles: 7-20-2011

We filed Friday, and today my wife got her packet 3!! Crazy fast considering they said it'd take 3 - 6 weeks.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: France
Timeline

I am just wondering how it is going? I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before our wedding so then we can file immediately after. Going on your advice to set up a contact at the Embassy, I called the switchboard and got a number to call but they will charge the 14.50 euro fee to answer any questions. Is this what you did? And then they gave you their information if you had any further questions? I am going to email them as well, but I have a feeling I won't get very good information back or any at all. I mostly want to make sure we can file in Paris. I have had carte de séjour since Sept. 2010, so qualifying for the 6 month residency requirement, but I am not a permanent resident, as in my carte de séjour expires at the end of July.

02/2008 Met while USC was studying abroad

07/2009 USC moved to France

07/14/2010 engaged

06/24/2011 wedding in France

will apply via DCF after wedding

The people the switchboard sent you to is only for non-immigrant visa people. When you call the Embassy ask to speak to a Dept. of Homeland Security Agent. That's what I did, and the DHSA person was pretty elusive at first when I got their phone number. The person I spoke with did not really want to give me her email address. But I did get her direct number and it was only after a few days and conflicting answers from another Embassy (Rome) that she sent me to for a specific question concerning my file. Rome said they couldn't answer me and said I need to contact Paris.

As far as I know, the only time in which you can't directly file at the Paris Embassy is if you are on a student or tourist visa. If you came here for work then you'll be fine, I'm almost positive. In my case, I arrived in France (Sept. 1st) to work as a language assistant and my visa is done in 11 days. Basically, you just want to get the paperwork in and over with by the time you go and file your i-130. Definitely understand!

I'm about to pop out for the evening, but I'll check the forum when I get back later tonight. Hope this helps.

Edited by frenchphenom5

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. I am about to file an I-130 for husband (via DCS at US Embassy Manila, Philippines). Can someone please show me how a Letter of the Evolution of Relationship is supposed to be done? I mean can it be just like in a form of a timeline?

Another question that I have is about the police clearance. My husband lived in different places here in the Philippines. Is he required to get a police clearance from all of the different municipalities he lived in or would a clearance from the National Bureau of Investigation do? I looked everywhere regarding this, but it is unclear to me.

Questions about filling out application forms:

1. Do I (the USC Petitioner) use my address here in the Philippines or my US address in filling any application forms pertaining to my Petition for my husband?

2. My husband has a child outside of our relationship. Is it mandatory to put the child's name in the forms where it is asked to list all of the beneficiary's children?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Dex & Zee

DCF - US Embassy (Manila, Philippines)

- 03.20.2009 - Got Married

- 06.08.2011 - Filed I-130

- 08.12.2011 - I-130 Approved (NOA-1 Notification via e-mail)

- 08.23.2011 - Received Packet 3 via Air21

- 08.24.2011 - Faxed DS230 and DS2001 back to US Embassy

- 08.31.2011 - Medical Exam @ St. Luke's -- PASSED! :)

- 09.14.2011 - Visa Interview Appointment -- PASSED! Thank GOD! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.