daisylynn

Canadian husband becoming a US Citizen...need advice/info

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I posted this in the US Citizen forum, but someone suggested that I have it moved here (didn't know how to request that, so I'm just reposting over here)...

I am a US Citizen, my husband a Canadian citizen. He became a permanent resident (has his PR card) of the US almost 3 years ago (3 years in June.) We thought we would just leave it like that. I had heard that in order to become a US citizen, he would have to give up his Canadian citizenship. But he has been out of work for 6 months now and we are running into issues with that. Because of his line of work, he *can* work at the shipyards, but none of them will hire him because he isn't a US citizen. They pay good and he's had lots of calls. But once they find out, they tell him they can't hire him because of that.

So, that got us to looking more into him becoming a US citizen. But we still have questions and I knew that VJ was the place to come. You all helped us out SOOOO much when we were going through the whole immigration process and I'm hoping I can find the answers we need.

1. I've read different things...If he becomes a US citizen, will he have to give up his Canadian citizenship? I read that he would have to renounce it to the US but not to Canada. If that is true, what exactly does that mean and what would have to to really do/say to the US? Does he have to get a US passport?

2. If he can still keep his Canadian citizenship, does that mean he can still come and go between the 2 countries as he would like, without hassle? Would he have to give up his Canadian passport?

3. What paperwork do we need to fill out? And how long does the process take? Do we have to wait until the 3 years or can we start the process now? Are their interviews and is the process as involved (or more) as the immigration process was? (Just trying to get an idea of what we're looking at.)

4. How much does it cost?

Thanks SO much for any and all help with this!

Edited by daisylynn

IR-1 Visa

8-14-2007 Mailed in husband's I-130 to Consulate in Toronto

8-15-2007 Toronto received I-130

8-27-2007 Toronto called to set up I-130 appointment

8-31-2007 Interview at Consulate Approved

9-25-2007 Received Packet 3 in mail

12-9-2007 Received police record (fingerprint version)

1-18-2008 Sent packet 3 back

2-26-2008 heard back from Montreal via email about our interview date

4-23-2008 Montreal Interview!!! Visa APPROVED!!

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

Currently residing in NC and loving it!

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-18-2011 Paperwork/check sent

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

7-02-2011 Oath Ceremony We're done!!

Timeline

He can become a dual citizen. LOTS of people on VJ are dual Canada/US citizens and they will pipe up and help you.

He will verbally renounce his citizenship to Canada, Canada does not recognize this at all. So even though he says he'll give it up - he won't because it is actually a lengthy process to give up canadian citizenship. I could say it right now and it won't mean anything.

however, the US will only recognize his US citizenship. He will have to leave and enter the US using his US passport.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

He can become a dual citizen. LOTS of people on VJ are dual Canada/US citizens and they will pipe up and help you.

He will verbally renounce his citizenship to Canada, Canada does not recognize this at all. So even though he says he'll give it up - he won't because it is actually a lengthy process to give up canadian citizenship. I could say it right now and it won't mean anything.

however, the US will only recognize his US citizenship. He will have to leave and enter the US using his US passport.

Good luck

It's actually not that hard or lengthy to renounce your Canadian citizenship. Just pay your $100, file a form and it's done.

Timeline

It's actually not that hard or lengthy to renounce your Canadian citizenship. Just pay your $100, file a form and it's done.

:thumbs: Good to know, thanks!

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/114-us-citizenship-general-discussion/ steps on becoming a USA citizen, its very easy to do!

No need to "cancel" his Cdn citizenship if he doesnt want to! Canada will still see him as a Cdn citizen and a USA citizen. USA will only see him as a USA citizen. If he wants to: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce.asp

When I go back to canada, I show my Cdn passport (could show USA 1 if I wanted to) and when he heads back to the USA, he must show His USA passport. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

This is all such great news! I didn't realize it was so straight forward! Thanks for all the info! :)

IR-1 Visa

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Timeline

Told ya we're friendly over here :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Told ya we're friendly over here :)

:thumbs: I remember when we went through the whole immigration process a few years ago, this forum was always so helpful! I actually went through a mourning period over this board and the people here once it was all over :lol: I tried to frequent the boards and stay in touch, but life happened and with 3 small kids and all that we were going through, it was difficult. Part of me is glad to be back, even if it means we have some work ahead of us! :P

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Timeline

OK, so I was filling out the N-400 and have a couple of questions...

1-On Part 2B...I checked that one even though he won't have been in the US for 3 years until June. I figured since they let you file 90 days before your 3 years it was ok...or do I need to change that?

2-On Part 7A, it asks how many days have you been outside of the US in the past 5 years. Since we've only been here for just under 3 years, do I just put the total that we were in Canada before we moved?

3-On 7B, it asks how many trips you've made outside of the US that have lasted longer than 24 hours in the last 5 years. He hasn't traveled outside of the US but during those 5 years, he lived in Canada for part of it. Does this apply to us at all?

4-On 9B...I am typing it in online and then will print it. I can't fit the entire names or addresses in. Do I just fit what I can or do I need to do something differently here?

5-Also on 9B, it asks where our children were born. They were born in Canada but we got their Consular Report of Birth Abroad as well. There is no place to indicate that they are US citizens too. Is that OK or am I missing something?

6-It asks about being charged with a crime. We went through this when we applied for his immigration and it had me so worried. Almost 20 years ago, he threatened someone and was arrested for it. He ended up only getting probation but we had to list it on the paperwork and were concerned about rather they would find it a CMT or not. They didn't and it was no big deal. But now that I see the same questions again, I'm wondering if it is more strict with becoming a citizen and if we'll have issues with it. Does anyone know?

Thanks! :)

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

OK, so I was filling out the N-400 and have a couple of questions...

1-On Part 2B...I checked that one even though he won't have been in the US for 3 years until June. I figured since they let you file 90 days before your 3 years it was ok...or do I need to change that?

2-On Part 7A, it asks how many days have you been outside of the US in the past 5 years. Since we've only been here for just under 3 years, do I just put the total that we were in Canada before we moved?

3-On 7B, it asks how many trips you've made outside of the US that have lasted longer than 24 hours in the last 5 years. He hasn't traveled outside of the US but during those 5 years, he lived in Canada for part of it. Does this apply to us at all?

4-On 9B...I am typing it in online and then will print it. I can't fit the entire names or addresses in. Do I just fit what I can or do I need to do something differently here?

5-Also on 9B, it asks where our children were born. They were born in Canada but we got their Consular Report of Birth Abroad as well. There is no place to indicate that they are US citizens too. Is that OK or am I missing something?

6-It asks about being charged with a crime. We went through this when we applied for his immigration and it had me so worried. Almost 20 years ago, he threatened someone and was arrested for it. He ended up only getting probation but we had to list it on the paperwork and were concerned about rather they would find it a CMT or not. They didn't and it was no big deal. But now that I see the same questions again, I'm wondering if it is more strict with becoming a citizen and if we'll have issues with it. Does anyone know?

Thanks! :)

1) it's fine.

2) yes, you would put it as of the last 3 years. you only have to document the tine since he got is PR status.

3) see above

4) I would leave it blank and insert by hand if it cuts things off

5) it's fine.. it asks where they were born.

6) No difference.. if it wasn't a problem when he got his PR status, it wouldn't be a problem now. The standards for CIMT are the same.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Thanks Zyggy!

Just to clarify, I need to put a 0 for the number of days he's been outside of the US (he hasn't left here since we moved almost 3 years ago) instead of counting up the days (during the 5 years) that we were in Canada before we moved?

Not everyone :P

Some take their citizenship seriously :devil:

Guess I'll have to watch out for you then! :lol:

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya a few of the trolls wonder over to the Cdn forum, but not many

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Zyggy!

Just to clarify, I need to put a 0 for the number of days he's been outside of the US (he hasn't left here since we moved almost 3 years ago) instead of counting up the days (during the 5 years) that we were in Canada before we moved?

Guess I'll have to watch out for you then! :lol:

No worries, I seem to be the lone American in this forum. I wouldn't suggest regularly reading this forum if you're American and take offense to whingeing.

Timeline

One more question...when I'm filling out the spousal information and it asks for spouse's family name....is that my current, married last name or my given last name? Sorry if that is a stupid question but I don't know what it's asking.

Thanks!

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.