daisylynn

Canadian husband becoming a US Citizen...need advice/info

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a US Citizen, my husband a Canadian citizen. He became a permanent resident (has his PR card) of the US almost 3 years ago (3 years in June.) We thought we would just leave it like that. I had heard that in order to become a US citizen, he would have to give up his Canadian citizenship. But he has been out of work for 6 months now and we are running into issues with that. Because of his line of work, he *can* work at the shipyards, but none of them will hire him because he isn't a US citizen. They pay good and he's had lots of calls. But once they find out, they tell him they can't hire him because of that.

So, that got us to looking more into him becoming a US citizen. But we still have questions and I knew that VJ was the place to come. You all helped us out SOOOO much when we were going through the whole immigration process and I'm hoping I can find the answers we need.

1. I've read different things...If he becomes a US citizen, will he have to give up his Canadian citizenship? I read that he would have to renounce it to the US but not to Canada. If that is true, what exactly does that mean and what would have to to really do/say to the US? Does he have to get a US passport?

2. If he can still keep his Canadian citizenship, does that mean he can still come and go between the 2 countries as he would like, without hassle? Would he have to give up his Canadian passport?

3. What paperwork do we need to fill out? And how long does the process take? Do we have to wait until the 3 years or can we start the process now? Are their interviews and is the process as involved (or more) as the immigration process was? (Just trying to get an idea of what we're looking at.)

4. How much does it cost?

Thanks SO much for any and all help with this!

IR-1 Visa

8-14-2007 Mailed in husband's I-130 to Consulate in Toronto

8-15-2007 Toronto received I-130

8-27-2007 Toronto called to set up I-130 appointment

8-31-2007 Interview at Consulate Approved

9-25-2007 Received Packet 3 in mail

12-9-2007 Received police record (fingerprint version)

1-18-2008 Sent packet 3 back

2-26-2008 heard back from Montreal via email about our interview date

4-23-2008 Montreal Interview!!! Visa APPROVED!!

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

Currently residing in NC and loving it!

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-18-2011 Paperwork/check sent

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

7-02-2011 Oath Ceremony We're done!!

Timeline

You may wish to request this be moved tyo the Canadian forum for some of the answers...but here are a few, and I am a Cdn currently going through applying for citizenship

I am a US Citizen, my husband a Canadian citizen. He became a permanent resident (has his PR card) of the US almost 3 years ago (3 years in June.) We thought we would just leave it like that. I had heard that in order to become a US citizen, he would have to give up his Canadian citizenship. But he has been out of work for 6 months now and we are running into issues with that. Because of his line of work, he *can* work at the shipyards, but none of them will hire him because he isn't a US citizen. They pay good and he's had lots of calls. But once they find out, they tell him they can't hire him because of that.

So, that got us to looking more into him becoming a US citizen. But we still have questions and I knew that VJ was the place to come. You all helped us out SOOOO much when we were going through the whole immigration process and I'm hoping I can find the answers we need.

1. I've read different things...If he becomes a US citizen, will he have to give up his Canadian citizenship? I read that he would have to renounce it to the US but not to Canada. If that is true, what exactly does that mean and what would have to to really do/say to the US? Does he have to get a US passport?

He does not have to give up his Cdn citizenship - during his Oath to the US, it states that you are giving up other countries but Canada does not officially recognize this this so we're all in a grey area, but there's no need for concern - he can remain dual for the remainder of his life if he chooses without any concern....there are many of us in the Cdn forum who have already done so, it's rather common. Think of it this way - the US cannot force you to officially renounce anotehr country's citizenship - only that country can have rules about whetehr you're allowed (or not) to mainatain anotehr countries citizenship - Canada does not have a problem with it)

If he would like to renounce his Cdn...then he does that through the Cdn government - the US has nothing to do with it

2. If he can still keep his Canadian citizenship, does that mean he can still come and go between the 2 countries as he would like, without hassle? Would he have to give up his Canadian passport? Yes - and he can maintain both passports...using the Cdn on the way into Canada and then his US one on his way back into the US

3. What paperwork do we need to fill out? And how long does the process take? Do we have to wait until the 3 years or can we start the process now? Are their interviews and is the process as involved (or more) as the immigration process was? (Just trying to get an idea of what we're looking at.)

He can apply 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of his Perm Resident date. Look at the guides at the top for N-400

4. How much does it cost? Current fee as of Match 13 is $680.00 - including the biometrics fee

Thanks SO much for any and all help with this!

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Oops, wasn't sure which forum to put it in!

Thanks so much for the answers! That helped a lot!! And now I'm excited that he can apply!

The N-400...is that what we need to file? That has everything we need on it?

IR-1 Visa

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Timeline

Oops, wasn't sure which forum to put it in!

Thanks so much for the answers! That helped a lot!! And now I'm excited that he can apply!

The N-400...is that what we need to file? That has everything we need on it?

Here is the Visa Journey guide link,,, http://www.visajourney.com/content/naturalization_guide

Yes the N-400 is a pretty straight forward form....I would go read the uscis.gov site as well, they have good instructions for the form.

You need to gather together a few documents, but nothing you probably don't already have since you've been through immigration before. I am finding it the easiest of all the processes. I have a GC, so I'm in no particular rush. You could look at a couple threads here for those who filed in a particular month...it will give you some average timelines. Mine looks like it will be 4-5 months from start to finish. I just applied at end of Feb and mine will go through the Dallas office and then locally here in Virginia.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Thanks! I will get started on reading the info and the paperwork right away!

Hey, we're in NC...looks like we're neighbors!:)

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

That no job as an LPR has got to be some kind of a union thing, but in NC? But again this is a shipyard, they always have unions.

Didn't he try as an illegal? They can pocket his FICA taxes, charge extra union dues, and if he gets injured or hurt, just dump him. That's when he can pull out his LPR card.

N-400 form site now as all kinds of downloads to simplify the process, didn't have that before, but still that crazy N-400 form. Most of us can help you with that.

No, he will not need to give up Canuck citizenship--unless he wants to apply for high-level (Secret-plus) clearance. And, to give it up, he will have to explicitly fill out form CIT-030, send it to the Embassy and pay C$100 electronically.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Timeline

Of all the 195 countries on this planet, Canada and the U.K. have the most relaxed attitude toward multiple citizenships.

Becoming a US citizen is nothing but a formality, not in the slightest to be compared with the stress an immigrant has to go through when dealing with USCIS in regard to immigration. It's basically writing a check, making a few photocopies, ordering tax transcripts (free), and attending biometrics, interview, and Oath Ceremony. Piece of cake.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Thanks everyone! I am so glad to hear that this will be simple. I have already started filling out the paperwork and hope to have it mailed off this week.

By the way, what exactly is the biometrics? And where is the interview and the oath ceremony held?

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks everyone! I am so glad to hear that this will be simple. I have already started filling out the paperwork and hope to have it mailed off this week.

By the way, what exactly is the biometrics? And where is the interview and the oath ceremony held?

Just go to

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO

and type in your zip code.

For some undisclosed reason, we were always sent to Milwaukee for biometrics, for citizenship, was the third set of fingerprints taken over a three year period, but now for citizenship, also taking your photo like they did for those green cards. Surely you been through this before. Last time, took them ten minutes not counting an eight hour drive. Then we are bounced to St. Paul for the interview. Sometimes I think they don't like Wisconsinites, but not our fault the Packers always beat the pants off of the Vikings.

On the day my wife had her oath ceremony, the republicans were in town for their convention. Thought for sure GWB would show up for photos and to congratulate her, but I guess as president he has the power not to have to travel to St. Paul. None of the republicans showed up, not even Sarah, she likes standing in front of a camera. Guess someone told GWB a week later that Katrina struck, so had a good excuse for not coming. But we had to be there to get that piece of paper, and I got all dressed up for nothing.

Timeline

Found it! Thanks!

Sorry, hopefully this will be the last question. I was getting all of the paperwork together to send off and came across something that I'm not sure about.

It says we need and original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition. On the page, it is stamped 'certified to be a true copy of the original.' Can I just make a copy of that or do I have to actually send that one in? And if I have to send that in, will I get it back?

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Timeline

Found it! Thanks!

Sorry, hopefully this will be the last question. I was getting all of the paperwork together to send off and came across something that I'm not sure about.

It says we need and original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition. On the page, it is stamped 'certified to be a true copy of the original.' Can I just make a copy of that or do I have to actually send that one in? And if I have to send that in, will I get it back?

Don't send originals of anything - he'll bring originals to his interview.

I made 2 copies of everything - keeping the originals in my file to take to the interview and another copy for back-up just in case.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Don't send originals of anything - he'll bring originals to his interview.

I made 2 copies of everything - keeping the originals in my file to take to the interview and another copy for back-up just in case.

Perfect! Thanks!!

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.