Capsule

Does U.S. Government know I am married if I get married in a foreign country?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

If I do not have my marriage certificate when married outside the country, is there anyway I can prove to the government I am married?

After the marriage took place overseas, would anything be sent over to the U.S. proving I am married?

No. You have to do it. But you need marriage certificate from town hall in country that you got married. It has to be translate in to english and you have to notify town hall in USA. No one is going to do it for you. Nothing is automatic. There is no way you can prove it without having a marriage certificate.

in our country, there's a way that you can register your marriage even if you were married overseas. so i guess there should be a way for you to register your marriage too. try to find a way to secure your marriage cert and register it also in the us records. maybe there's a way...

just my 2 cents worth..

SERVICE CENTER : California

CONSULATE : Manila

MARRIAGE : Feb 15, 2010

I -130 SENT : April 26, 2011

NOA 1 : May 1, 2011

TOUCHED : May 5, 2011

NOA2 : August 1, 2011

Our I-130 was approved in 92 days from our NOA1 date.

CASE NUMBER ASSSIGNED : Sept. 12, 2011

EMAILED DS3032 : October 6, 2011

AOS FEE BILL PAID : October 11, 2011

IV FEE BILL PAID : October 24, 2011

NVC received AOS and IV packs = Nov. 3, 2011

NVC RESPONSE = Nov. 8, 2011 - RFE for missing proof of relationship with co-sponsor

Mailed RFE file = Nov. 9, 2011

NVC received RFE = November 14, 2011, 9:54 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

CASE CLOSED = Nov. 18, 2011 :D

MEDICAL EXAM = Dec 20-21, 2011 = PASSED!!!

INTERVIEW DATE = January 6, 2012 = APPROVED!!! ----Our interview took 250 days from our I-130 NOA1 date.

VISA PRODUCTION = January 6,2012

VISA DELIVERY = January 11, 2012

POE = Feb.18, 2012

SSN Received = Feb 25, 2012

GC received = April 5, 2012 (incorrect data entry :((, sent back April 9, 2012)

CORRECT GC RECEIVED = August 22, 2012, granted IR1 (10 year gc)

that's where our USCIS process ends for now.. will wait for the next 3-4 years what we'll do next...

9choykrk1el55.png

um4z3ia1n.png

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If I do not have my marriage certificate when married outside the country, is there anyway I can prove to the government I am married?

After the marriage took place overseas, would anything be sent over to the U.S. proving I am married?

Nothing would be sent to the US. You must obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the government agency with which it is registered, in order to begin a spouse visa process. If that certificate is not in English, you'll also need a certified translation.

No. You have to do it. But you need marriage certificate from town hall in country that you got married. It has to be translate in to english and you have to notify town hall in USA. No one is going to do it for you. Nothing is automatic. There is no way you can prove it without having a marriage certificate.

No, you do not need to notify any town hall or other US Federal, State or local government agency that you married abroad. The US recognizes foreign marriages between one man and one woman. No "notification" is needed.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

unable to prove marriage without a marriage certificate.

Some 'places' issue some religious thing, which can then be sent off to the official marriage registration office in that country, and a marriage certificate issued from there.

But - if you don't got it - you don't got it.

The 'USA' would not know you are married until you filed the I-130, including a photocopy of the marriage certificate.

*** not a K-3 visa topic, moving to IR-1/CR-1 forum ***

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.