TeddyHoney

My Filipina Fiancee might have TB

30 posts in this topic

I had a positive TB test when I went for my physical for I-485. I was on H1B at the time.

I had had the BGC vaccine when I was at high school in the UK. They considered that the BCG could cause a false positive but my chest X-ray confirmed that I had a latent infection. Also the skin test only supposedly reacts mildly to the vaccine. My reaction was not mild!

The county health dept gave me isonaizid (my spelling may be off here) for 6 months and then a letter saying that I'd completed the course. This did not affect my ability to adjust status and the health dept said that they were more concerned that the latent infection could become active when I was in old age, at which time it would be much more difficult to treat. I don't know what affect this will have on an immigrant visa.

What would be the effect if you were to start treatment now and produce a letter at your interview stating as such?

Alex.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/298184-my-filipina-fiancee-might-have-tb/page__view__findpost__p__4514207

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Mycobacterium tuberculosis. X-RAY will not show LTBI LATENT TB

There are ways to test people whom had BCG Vaccinations.Since the QuantiFERON®-TB Gold test does not cross-react with BCG, this test will be

particularly useful for testing individuals with history of BCG vaccination. Blood-based testing has become available as an alternative to the TB skin test since 2001. Another blood-based test, the Elispot® is approved for clinical use in Europe and is

undergoing testing in the United States. Testing programs using the QuantiFERON® tests

(or other blood based tests such as the Elispot® that are under evaluation) should only be

implemented if quality laboratory services are ensured and if plans are in place for followup

medical evaluation and treatment of persons who are diagnosed with LTBI.

Not all "Asians" have had BCG vaccinations. The tuberculin skin test performed by the Mantoux method is the most commonly used method for identifying TB infection.

Test all people who are high risk, regardless of BCG history.

Tests for TB infection are not contraindicated for persons who have been vaccinated with

BCG. A history of BCG vaccination should not be considered when deciding whether to

test and determining whether the test result is positive in high-risk individuals

Although BCG vaccination can cause a false positive cross-reaction to the TST (especially

within the first 12 months after vaccination), sensitivity to tuberculin is highly variable

and tends to decrease over time. (Wear off) There is no way to distinguish between a positive

reaction due to BCG-induced sensitivity and a positive reaction due to true LTBI.

Therefore, a positive reaction to the TST in BCG-vaccinated persons should be interpreted as indicating infection with M. tuberculosis when the person tested is at increased risk of

recent infection or has a medical condition that increases the risk of progression to activeTB disease.

Ten Points for Testing and Treatment of Latent Tuberculosis Infection

1. Target all tuberculin skin testing to persons at high risk for TB

2. Test all people who are at high risk, regardless of BCG history

3. Decide which test to use for diagnosing latent TB infection

4. Determine if the test for TB infection is positive

5. Rule out active TB disease in persons with positive skin tests

6. Provide treatment for high-risk individuals diagnosed with latent TB infection,

regardless of age.

7. Take special care when testing and treating HIV-positive individuals

8. Carefully consider treatment for pregnant women, children, contacts of persons

with multidrug-resistant TB, and individuals with evidence of old, healed TB

9. Monitor all patients carefully during the treatment of LTBI

10. Ensure adherence during LTBI treatment

TST results should always be recorded as millimeters (mm) of induration; if there is no

induration, the result should be recorded as "0 mm". Based on the size of the induration,

there are three cutoff points for defining a positive TST result: =5, =10, and =15 mm of

induration . For individuals who are at highest risk of developing TB disease

if infected with M. tuberculosis, a =5 mm induration is considered positive. An induration

of =10 mm should be considered positive for groups with an increased probability of

developing TB disease. Routine tuberculin testing is not recommended for populations at

low risk of LTBI; however, if these persons are tested, a cutoff of =15 mm is considered positive

Recent immigrants (those who have been in the United States <5 years) from

countries with high rates of TB should receive a test for TB infection the first time

they enter the medical care system in the U.S.

Rule out active TB disease in persons with positive test for TB infection.

Any individual with a newly identified positive test for TB infection should be evaluated

for TB disease with a medical examination and a chest x-ray. If the initial chest x-ray is

negative for active TB disease and the person has no symptoms consistent with active TB,

the individual should be evaluated for treatment of LTBI (see Point 6). If a CXR was

done within 3 months of start of LTBI treatment and was normal, a repeat CXR may not be necessary. If a decision is made to not treat the individual, further follow-up with

periodic chest x-rays is generally not indicated.

An individual with TB symptoms or an abnormal chest x-ray should be propriately

evaluated with sputa and other tests as indicated. Active TB (pulmonary or extrapulmonary) should be ruled out before treatment for LTBI

This was helpful, Thanks!

TeddyHoney and SqueezyBear

(Derrick and Ritchie)

10/17/2008 - First Contact via message in CB

03/15/2009 - Engaged

05/15/2009 - First meeting in person (I traveled to Philippines)

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

12/08/2011 - Interview - Approved!

12/20/2011 - VISA in hand! (Never showed up in 2go online tracking!)

01/04/2012 - POE San Francisco(SFO)I met her there.

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

02/14/2012 - Married Valentine's Day 2012!

05/04/2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP packages via FedEx ground

07/26/2012 - EAD/AP Combo card received

"TeddyHoney and SqueezyBear"

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Timeline

Sorry to hear about your fiancee Derrick, we'll pray for her speedy recovery.

THOM AND KIM's JOURNEY

Aug 31, 2010 - I-129F package sent to VSC

Sept 2, 2010 - NOA-1 hard copy received

Sept 5, 2010 - Check cashed

Nov 29, 2010 - Case Touched

Feb 25, 2011 - Contacted Senator

Feb 28, 2011 - NOA2 APPROVED **179 Days since NOA1 Received**

Mar 7, 2011 - NOA2 Hard Copy arrived

NVC

NVC receieved petition - Mar 7 2011

NVC case number received - Mar 8 2011 MNL2011XXXXXX

NVC case shipped to Embassy - Mar 9 2011

US Embassy Manila

Package delivered DHL - Mar 14 2011 signed by Leonilo

USEM - Medical- Passed Medical Mar 18 2011

USEM- Interview - APPROVED 4-14

USEM- VISA IN HAND - 4-30-2011

CFO - 5-2-2011

Kim on the plane 5-18-2011 Welcome to USA!

Timeline

Sorry to hear about your fiancee Derrick, we'll pray for her speedy recovery.

Salamat!

03/15/2009 - Engaged

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

(Derrick and Ritchie)

first of all, its more than likely her skin test will be positive since Philippines is endemic for tb. I had history of treated tb when I had my medical I knew going in that the chance of being delayed is a given since St Luke's will not accept ANY documentation for treatment without going through their sputum test. Long story short, if your fiancee has tb, they will treat her which means she has to go to St Luke's everyday except weekends just to have them watch her take the tb meds. this is a 6 month treatment, after that they will make her go through the sputum test which takes another 2 months so you are looking at a delay of 8 months worse case.

June 2006 Met on Myspace
Sep 21 2007 Proposed and she accepted
Dec 9 2007 Arrived in Manila
Dec 15 2007 Returned home, very sad day
Dec 21 2007 Sent Form I-129F to CSC
Dec 24 2007 Packet received at CSC
Dec 31 2007 NOA 1 received
Jan 02 2008 Check cashed
May 05 2008 NOA2
May 12 2008 Received letter from NVC MNL2008xxxxxx
May 19 2008 Paid Delbros fee at Metrobank
May 20 2008 First day of medical
May 21 2008 Told to return for sputum test
May 21 2008 Delbros confirmed receiving payment
May 27 2008 Delbros sent proof of payment to USEM
May 27,28,29 2008 Sputum test done
June 6 2008 Delbros sent doc ver request to the NSO
June 27 2008 NSO doc ver completed, to be picked up by USEM
July 1, 2008 Called USEM, doc ver is at the embassy
July 30, 2008 Passed the sputum test and finished the physical
Aug 5, 2008 Interview, PASSED received PINK SLIP
Aug 12 2008 VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you God
Aug 16,2008 Flight to US. Manila to Narita, to Chicago
Sept 8, 2008 Civil wedding
Feb 14, 2009 Big fancy wedding
groupresized.jpg

TB is easy to heal now..my father had that we go to private clinic in just 1 week its already heal the TB. mostly its normal here to have that because of the climate and pollution.. tell to your gf find a good hospital or clinic and take a good medicine not a generic one..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Why is TB so rampant there? Because some people think they can be cured with one week of treatment. That is just not the case.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Why is TB so rampant there? Because some people think they can be cured with one week of treatment. That is just not the case.

It is rampant in the PI like most underdeveloped counters with out proper control and education,

Edited by sjr09

TB is easy to heal now..my father had that we go to private clinic in just 1 week its already heal the TB. mostly its normal here to have that because of the climate and pollution.. tell to your gf find a good hospital or clinic and take a good medicine not a generic one..

NOT!

Timeline

Well Look at the bright side. If you catch it now you still have about two months before you clear the service center and by the time it clears NVC is another few weeks and by the time they schedule her (usually 60 days out) for her VISA interview you will be just about done with the 6 Month treatment. The way I see it is it may only hold you up 2 months if you start treatment now. Please be religious on the treatment. From what I've read on TB is if you start treatment and don't follow it religiously, you could create a situation to where the TB becomes resistant to the treatment and then may be way more difficult to treat afterwards once it becomes resistant to the drugs. God Bless

Timeline:

Meetings (dating)in Person Aug 2009/Nov 2009/Jan 2010/Jun 2010 (Engaged!)

VSC

Sep 7th 2010 I-129F Submitted

Sep 9th 2010 NOA1 Received via Text

Sep 10th 2010 I-129F Accepted

Sep 2010 5th meeting in person

Oct 3rd 2010 Touched

Feb 2011 6th meeting arranged (spending Valentine's together)

Mar 17 2011 NOA2 @09:59 am Thank You St Patty! It only took 6 months 1 week 1 day

NVC

Mar 24th NVC Receives I-129F Petition

Mar 28th Case Number Assigned

Mar 29th File shipped to Manila

Manila Embassy

Apr 1 Receives Case File

Apr 6 Medical - Sputum test required

Apr 12 Begin 3 day Sputum test at St Lukes

Jun 13th medical sputum cleared / Jun 14th Medical completed

Jun 27 Interview - Visa Approved!!

Jul 14th VISA Packet Received : ) Finally! 310 days from submittal to VISA in hand

3 months 1 week and 3 days from NOA2 approval to Embassy Approval

Aug 9th Fiancee arrives in USA at POE Honolulu Hi

Aug 11th Tony and Jubi have a Beautiful Wedding in Hawaii

AOS/EAD/AP

Filed - 18 Nov 2011/USPS-confirmed delivery 23 Nov/Check Cashed - 29 Nov

20 Jan 2012 EAD and AP Approved txt msg received

14 Mar 2012 RFE for AoS / 3 Apr 2012 RFE info recv by USCIS /11 Apr 2012 AoS Approved

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Filipina Fiancee has had bad cough and cold since weekend of Feb 19th. This past weekend it seemed much better but Tuesday she had fever and cough was worse and kept her up all Monday night so she went to the clinic Tuesday morning and they gave her a chest x-ray. Today she got the results of the x-ray and she told me they said they cannot determine if she has pneumonia or TB. So they they gave her the shot under the skin to verify if she has TB or not.

More than likely she has pneumonia.

However, TB skin test results is after 48 hours. She must not scratch the shot area.

If the skin does not react where they injected the shot, it is a sign of negative result.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

Timeline

More than likely she has pneumonia.

However, TB skin test results is after 48 hours. She must not scratch the shot area.

If the skin does not react where they injected the shot, it is a sign of negative result.

Thanks a lot. Talked to her today and Friday morning her time will be 48 hours. She's been taking anti-biotics for the pneumonia and feels a lot better just a infrequent almost dry cough. I should mention also that they don;t think she has active Tuberculosis, but what she is describing what they are trying to rule out is PTB. I guess there's a difference. I'm leaving a week from today to visit her.

Thanks for your informationtion. God Bless!

(Derrick and Ritchie)

03/15/2009 - Engaged

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Timeline

Well Look at the bright side. If you catch it now you still have about two months before you clear the service center and by the time it clears NVC is another few weeks and by the time they schedule her (usually 60 days out) for her VISA interview you will be just about done with the 6 Month treatment. The way I see it is it may only hold you up 2 months if you start treatment now. Please be religious on the treatment. From what I've read on TB is if you start treatment and don't follow it religiously, you could create a situation to where the TB becomes resistant to the treatment and then may be way more difficult to treat afterwards once it becomes resistant to the drugs. God Bless

Well since we filed in October 2010 I'm hoping things move at least a little faster then that. Six months from today is September. I'm hoping more for her skin test to be negative, or if positive another chest x-ray after she is free of pneumonia, or worst case if something shows in the x-ray then negative sputum test. That's what I'm hoping/prayingf for in that order. Maybe 2 months delay and maybe she's here by Septemeber including 2 months delay for negative sputum.

Thanks!

(Derrick and Ritchie)

03/15/2009 - Engaged

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

(Derrick and Ritchie)

• 5 years later...
Timeline

Mr. TeddyHoney,

I don't know if you are still on VJ or not but I would like to ask you how things worked out. My wife is also from the Philippines and has just tested positive for the skin TB test and they found abnormalities in her chest xray. She does not have any symptoms so we still don't know if it is a false positive or Latent TB. Either way, we just had our Green card interview with the USCIS and have 76 days left to provide all the paperwork for her Green card. She is here on a K1 Visa. I'm just wondering what happened in your case. Do you know that if my wife has Latent TB if they will let here stay here while she undergoes treatment or will she have to leave and come back after she has completed the treatment?

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP hasn't logged on to VJ in over 3 years.

Click on his timeline to infer updates.

Post your question in a fresh thread in the Philippines regional forum.

Thread from 2011 is now closed to further comment.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.