mikellen

Passport name different from Permanent Resident card

6 posts in this topic

Hello, my wife is from the Philippines and she has a Philippino passport in her maiden last name.

We have been married for a few years and went through the process of obtaining her Permanent Resident card which is in her married last name.

Her drivers license is also in her married last name.

We are planning to visit her family in the Philippines in a few months. We already booked the tickets for the trip and were told by the airlines

to book my wife's ticket in the exact same name as it appears on her passport (maiden last name).

Since her passport is in a different last name than her Permanent Resident card and drivers license, will there be a problem with Customs when we travel? Should we bring a copy of our marriage certificate to the airlines? Is there some other form or document we need to bring?

On a side note... I assume we NEED to bring her Permanent Resident card for travel, is that correct? If we have to bring it that's fine, I was just concerned that it might get lost or stolen during the trip.

Thanks for any help.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, my wife is from the Philippines and she has a Philippino passport in her maiden last name.

We have been married for a few years and went through the process of obtaining her Permanent Resident card which is in her married last name.

We are planning to visit her family in the Philippines in a few months. We already booked the tickets for the trip and were told by the airlines

to book my wife's ticket in the exact same name as it appears on her passport (maiden last name).

Since her passport is in a different last name than her Permanent Resident card and drivers license, will there be a problem with Customs when we travel? Should we bring a copy of our marriage certificate to the airlines? Is there some other form or document we need to bring?

On a side note... I assume we NEED to bring her Permanent Resident card for travel, is that correct? If we have to bring it that's fine, I was just concerned that it might get lost or stolen during the trip.

Thanks for any help.

Yes, carry the name change document... book your tickets in the name on the ID you will use for traveling. For international travel that will be the passport name. My wife has the same situation and has traveled back and forth several times and has had no real issues.

As for bringing her green card along, of course you need it... it is her ticket back into the USA. Without it she won't be allowed in.

YMMV

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

correct, the ticket has to match the name on the passport, when you arrive at the poe in the us go to the us citizen line show your permanent card, just in case bring a copy of your marriage certificate to prove name change ,and your ID...i don't think you will need it, because the officer put your card in the computer and up comes all your information, and your picture.have a nice trip.

Thanks for any help.

Book the ticket according to what her name was in the passport. DO NOT forget to bring with u when u travel important documents relating to name change especially the marriage certificate.

Thanks to all for the information. I will definitely make sure we have her Permanent Resident card when we travel.

I will also bring a copy of our marriage certificate but does it need to be a "Certified" copy or can it be a copy of a certified copy?

Will other documents besides our marriage certificate (or copies)be needed? If so what other supporting documents regarding her legal married name change should we bring?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Tickets do NOT need to be in passport name. Tickets need to be in the name of ANY government-issued photo ID. I know because:

1. It says it on the state website

2. I emailed TSA about it who not only confirmed it but also provided a link of where it says it on the state website

3. I did it.

I flew in my GC name back to Australia and had no issues.

---

OP to answer your qn directly. Yes take GC and yes, you will need to take your marriage certificate for when you arrive back in the US and her tickets don't match her GC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.