Erroneous

Green card and social security number

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

This might be posted in the wrong forum, if so I apologize. My wife and step-son got their green card last week and I would like to know if are both allowed a social security number free of restrictions based on them posessing a green card.

My wife's current SS card is valid only for work, so can I apply for a new one and have that removed? And is there any additional criteria needed to get her son a social security number? If he cannot I will just apply for an ITIN.

Thank you. I looked on Social Security's website and called them, and surprisingly they say they do not know and to go in to the local office. Hopefully someone here does.

Thanks.

-

Erroneous

Timeline

To clarify, my wifes SS card says valid only for work with DHS approval (or something similar). Will that change or always state that exactly even with a green card?

Edited by Erroneous

-

Erroneous

Your wife already has an SSN, that's her number for life regardless of what restrictions are printed (or not printed) on the card. SSA will not allow your wife to re-apply for a card without the words. I was looking into that myself after we got our green cards. It's on the instructions of the SSN form. I wouldn't worry about it too much, my card also says Valid to Work only with DHS authorization. The green card should dispel any doubt that she can work anywhere.

Your stepson will qualify for an SSN now that he has a green card, no worries.

This might be posted in the wrong forum, if so I apologize. My wife and step-son got their green card last week and I would like to know if are both allowed a social security number free of restrictions based on them posessing a green card.

My wife's current SS card is valid only for work, so can I apply for a new one and have that removed? And is there any additional criteria needed to get her son a social security number? If he cannot I will just apply for an ITIN.

Thank you. I looked on Social Security's website and called them, and surprisingly they say they do not know and to go in to the local office. Hopefully someone here does.

Thanks.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Timeline

Your wife already has an SSN, that's her number for life regardless of what restrictions are printed (or not printed) on the card. SSA will not allow your wife to re-apply for a card without the words. I was looking into that myself after we got our green cards. It's on the instructions of the SSN form. I wouldn't worry about it too much, my card also says Valid to Work only with DHS authorization. The green card should dispel any doubt that she can work anywhere.

Your stepson will qualify for an SSN now that he has a green card, no worries.

Thank you. Very helpful.

-

Erroneous

If you have a greencard, you most certainly can get a SSN card that doesn't stay "only valid with DHS authorization".

The unrestricted card is given to greencard holders and US citizens.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm

I thought so too, except I read this on the SS-5 application form:

LIMITS ON REPLACEMENT SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS

Public Law 108-458 limits the number of replacement Social Security cards you may receive to 3 per calendar year and 10 in a lifetime. Cards issued to reflect changes to your legal name or changes to a work authorization legend do not count toward these limits. We may also grant exceptions to these limits if you provide evidence from an official source to establish that a Social Security card is required.

If you have a greencard, you most certainly can get a SSN card that doesn't stay "only valid with DHS authorization".

The unrestricted card is given to greencard holders and US citizens.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Timeline

I thought so too, except I read this on the SS-5 application form:

LIMITS ON REPLACEMENT SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS

Public Law 108-458 limits the number of replacement Social Security cards you may receive to 3 per calendar year and 10 in a lifetime. Cards issued to reflect changes to your legal name or changes to a work authorization legend do not count toward these limits. We may also grant exceptions to these limits if you provide evidence from an official source to establish that a Social Security card is required.

The way I read that is that we are limited to so many per year/lifetime, but a new card requested for change in work authorization legend does not count toward that limit. So now based on both of your posts it sounds like she can get a new card.

-

Erroneous

Goodness, if that's true then we should go for it :) I swear all this legalese has fried my brain. We just finished our AOS journey.

The way I read that is that we are limited to so many per year/lifetime, but a new card requested for change in work authorization legend does not count toward that limit. So now based on both of your posts it sounds like she can get a new card.

N-400 Timeline

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Goodness, if that's true then we should go for it :) I swear all this legalese has fried my brain. We just finished our AOS journey.

It doesn't matter what the SS card says, but I would update your status with the SSA at the least. You want to let them know you are now a LPR in case something happens to you (Social security benefits payable on death to your family members, etc). Sorry to be morbid, but lifetime limits, eligibility, etc, are effected by this (and probably other things). Once you are USC, you also want to go let the SS office know, as you are eligible for more than a LPR. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It is true. I updated mine recently.. still waiting for it

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

last month i went to Social security office not to change my SSN but to show my green card and my SSN,,Coz the last time i get SSN it was only a work permit i show and in the SSN it appears on the card that valid only for the date of DHS,,which only the date of my work permit,,,,And he give me a new SSN with the same number i get before and the card had no DHS put over there...It takes one week i get on the mailbox my new SSN with same number before.......

what should u do is go back to SSA bring your green card,,,and ur SSN u get before,,show to the officer and they will give u a new SSN with same number.......without DHS put in the card......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This might be posted in the wrong forum, if so I apologize.

No problem :) . Thread moved from AOS forum to Working & Travelling During US Immigration forum.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.