VanessaTony

Shipping costs Aus to USA

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know I've read this info somewhere before but I can't seem to find a thread about it so I thought I'd start one (if there's another please let me know :D).

I have been thinking more and more about bringing stuff to the US that I didn't think I would "need". Stuff like an Art Chest mum had made for my 21st birthday. With all the paints and canvases and stuff it's got some considerable weight to it.

I know that AusPost does shipping but mum sent me 8.5kg for easter last year and it cost her $140+ so I can only imagine how much this chest would cost (plus there's a 20kg limit and I'm pretty sure it exceeds that).

So, does anyone have any good companies to suggest and your experience with them?

Thanks in advance :)

V* :)

Timeline

These are some companies I've heard about but have no personal reviews:

- http://www.packsend.com.au/

- http://www.jetta.com.au/

Here is one post about it:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183541-land-downunder-aussie-aussie-aussie-oi-oi-oi/page__view__findpost__p__3927978

Weve retained the services of Movement International, as im shipping over about one third of a container of stuff to Tennessee, and the cost for shipping is $5200.00 plus insurance which will cost approx 3.5% of the value of what you are moving. The have offices in all capital cities and move Door to Door as Im moving to the east coast our container will be shipped to NEW YORK and not as most do to the Port of Los Angeles.. Gary their Senior Business Development Manager here was very knowledgeable has been with the company for over 25 years and they have all the accreditation both here and in the USA [message me if you want contact details] you can look them up online there website is http://www.movementsinternational.com, having spoken to many of my clients who have moved to Australia from NZ, South Africa and other overseas ports thought the amount we were quoted was more than reasonable as they paid 3 times that amount some over $25,000 just for one container.. so check them out..

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I think mine was 126kg and less than 1m^3 - quote was $830 from Brisbane to Denver :) Insurance (for loss only) was extra...

The Long Wait...

Unmarried Son of US Citizen OVER 21

[dd/mm/yy]

USCIS

xx/03/05 - I130 Sent

24/03/05 - NOA1 Received

[many moons later]

12/03/09 - NOA2 Received

Your I-130 was approved in 1448 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

05/04/10 - Received I-864 Bill

23/04/10 - IV Fee Bill Received

18/05/10 - DS230 Sent

11/06/10 - July 2010 Bulletin shows PD Current - WOOT!

14/06/10 - Operator and AVR Update to say CASE COMPLETE 10/6/10

16/06/10 - SIF

CONSULATE

29/06/10 - P4

07/07/10 @ 11:00am - Medical - COMPLETE

03/08/10 @ 9:00am 11:00am - Interview!(SYD) - APPROVED!

USA

13/09/2010 - POE @ LAX

24/09/2010 - Welcome Letter from USCIS!

25/09/2010 - Green Card Arrived

07/10/2010 - SSN!

Timeline
I think mine was 126kg and less than 1m^3 - quote was $830 from Brisbane to Denver :) Insurance (for loss only) was extra...

That's not too bad... who with?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

**bumpity bump**

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

That's not too bad... who with?

Missed this...

http://www.freightbiz.com.au/

Carebear actually referred me, and his name was Roy from Tweed Heads, or somewhere nearby... I'm guessing he is a broker on behalf of the actual freight company though...

The Long Wait...

Unmarried Son of US Citizen OVER 21

[dd/mm/yy]

USCIS

xx/03/05 - I130 Sent

24/03/05 - NOA1 Received

[many moons later]

12/03/09 - NOA2 Received

Your I-130 was approved in 1448 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

05/04/10 - Received I-864 Bill

23/04/10 - IV Fee Bill Received

18/05/10 - DS230 Sent

11/06/10 - July 2010 Bulletin shows PD Current - WOOT!

14/06/10 - Operator and AVR Update to say CASE COMPLETE 10/6/10

16/06/10 - SIF

CONSULATE

29/06/10 - P4

07/07/10 @ 11:00am - Medical - COMPLETE

03/08/10 @ 9:00am 11:00am - Interview!(SYD) - APPROVED!

USA

13/09/2010 - POE @ LAX

24/09/2010 - Welcome Letter from USCIS!

25/09/2010 - Green Card Arrived

07/10/2010 - SSN!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

moved from Asia: East and Pacific regional to the new Australia and New Zealand regional.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
moved from Asia: East and Pacific regional to the new Australia and New Zealand regional.

YAY!! :)

• 2 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone can share their recent experience of shipping stuff to US (from Sydney)? If they can recommend a cheap & efficient way of shipping?

I'm still quite confused and stressed out on how to ship my stuff - mainly clothes, shoes, bags & electronics...

But I was thinking of checking in my monitor & computer...it's sooo hard to let go of my things especially clothes hehe

Australian Post cheapest option is sea cargo - 20 kilos for $197, but tracking is not available and there's no pick-up from home...I have also requested for a quote from Pack & Send, and they quoted $686 for 60 kilos, but I don't have any experience with Pack&Send and they can pick-up the boxes from home which is good....I have also read somewhere that excess baggage is also recommended?

Edited by Snickerz

K-1 Visa:

CSC - Consulate : Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-19

I-129F NOA1 received : 2010-11-22

NOA1 Notice date: 2010-11-26

Touched: 2010-12-03

Touched: 2011-03-17

Police clearance request 2011-04-07

Police clearance received 2011-04-28

medical examination: 2011-04-08

medical results received: 2011-04-12

NOA2 email receipt: 2011-04-12

Left NVC: 2011-04-26

Consulate Received: 2011-04-29

Packet 3 Received: 2011-05-03

Packet 3 Sent: 2011-05-06

Packet 4 Received: 2011-05-12

Interview date: 2011-05-24

Visa received: 2011-06-02

POE (Hawaii): 2011-06-10

AOS:

I-485 sent: 2011-07-27

Delivered to Chicago LB 2011-07-28

Email confirm receipt 2011-08-01

NOA1 hardcopy 2011-08-08

BIO request hardcopy 2011-08-18

Interview notice 2011-09-26

Interview 2011-10-25

• 9 months later...

Just thought I would add a note in here for future readers.

I was surpised to find that Grace Removals will ship 2 cubic metres of stuff for $1450 plus 3.5% of value for insurance. this includes them coming out here and packing all the gear, creating an inventory, shipping and then delivering to my NY home and unpacking and removing packing debris. WOW! I was so happy with that price and it's amazing what you can fit into 2 cubic metres. It will take 3-4 months to arrive but at that price I can wait.

AOS Timeline
Filed 15th June, 2012
NOA date 18th June
Bio appt 20th July
Transferred to CSC 21st July, 2012
EAD/AP approved 27th August.
Received Green Card 6th October. No Interview. Amazing!
Thanks for all the help, see you again in June 2014

ROC Timeline

Mailed Package 30th June 2014

I-797 received 5th July, 2014

Biometrics Appointment 07/30/2014.

Timeline

I used Pack and Send. It was a very simple process. As I'm already in the US, My parents filled a half chest sized box (they have many different sizes on offer) and dropped it off at the store. They filled out the contents of the box on the packing forms and it was emailed to me to be filled out with my details and signed. It took less than 2 weeks from Melbourne to New Jersey door to door. Price was about approx. $250 but I had to pay a little more as we were slightly over on weight. Well worth it becuase it was the only service were I didn't have to deal with customs and go pick up the goods, other than AusPost who's prices are ridiculous!

Timeline

I used Pack and Send. It was a very simple process. As I'm already in the US, My parents filled a half chest sized box (they have many different sizes on offer) and dropped it off at the store. They filled out the contents of the box on the packing forms and it was emailed to me to be filled out with my details and signed. It took less than 2 weeks from Melbourne to New Jersey door to door. Price was about approx. $250 but I had to pay a little more as we were slightly over on weight. Well worth it becuase it was the only service were I didn't have to deal with customs and go pick up the goods, other than AusPost who's prices are ridiculous!

How much weight for the $250? Do they give you the box or do you need to find out? This sounds like a good option for me so thanks in advance :D

Timeline

How much weight for the $250? Do they give you the box or do you need to find out? This sounds like a good option for me so thanks in advance :D

As I didn't deal with the store directly, I'm not exactly sure what the weight allowance was but 13kg rings a bell. You have to buy the boxes from the store but they aren't expensive and you can return any unused boxes for a credit.

Firstly, I would determine what you need to send so you have an idea of approx. volume and weight. Then go to the store and see what size boxes and prices best suit you. I had to cut a few things out but I'll be taking an empty suitcase next time I return home to visit B-)

Pack and Save will sent over 38kg for $490. I asked recently because I need to get my grandma's china over. i am going to leave it with my dad and get him to send it over once I'm settled.

Timeline

Pack and Save will sent over 38kg for $490. I asked recently because I need to get my grandma's china over. i am going to leave it with my dad and get him to send it over once I'm settled.

That's actually not too bad. Thanks :) I have an art chest I really want to bring over one day but it's quite heavy (I'd say around 20kgs)... among other things. :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.