SHIAN

after naturalization interview what happens to the old passport?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Does USCIS take old passport after you pass your naturalization test?

Thanks!

You leave with EVERYTHING you brought in, and that definitely includes your foreign passport. If they want it, they can make a copy of anything you brought in. Also make damn sure you leave with your green card.

You will have to surrender your green card at your oath ceremony. That is when you realize your foreign passport is worthless for either leaving or entering the USA, have to get a US passport. But depending upon your home country, may have to keep that foreign passport current to either enter or leave that country. Department of State calls that dual naturalization, its actually dual citizenship. No foreign country would renew your passport unless you maintain citizenship in that country.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is when you realize your foreign passport is worthless for either leaving or entering the USA, have to get a US passport. But depending upon your home country, may have to keep that foreign passport current to either enter or leave that country. Department of State calls that dual naturalization, its actually dual citizenship. No foreign country would renew your passport unless you maintain citizenship in that country.

Unlike some countries (many in Africa) you do not need a US passport to leave the US. You need to show a valid passport of any nation if you are flying out of the US.

Yes you will need a US passport though to enter the US though.

There maybe some weird exceptions, but I don't know of any country that requires you to always use their passport when entering. The US passport should be sufficient. Now there maybe a few expections, I just can't think of any off hand. If you do want to keep another citizenship and it's allowed (some countries don't allow it and you have to give up your former citizenship and passport), then they say it's recommended you use that passport of that nation to enter, but it's not mandatory. I never use my former nations passport to enter. I just always carry my US passport and that is it...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Timeline

Warlord,

nothing is unimpossible, but just for the record, a US citizen is required by Federal law not only to enter the United States with his or her US passport, but also to leave it. Let me know if you need a State.gov source for this and I look it up.

OP,

all you take to the Oath Ceremony is your N-445 and your Green Card. Your passport stays home, unless you engaged in international travel between the interview and the Oath Ceremony.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Warlord,

nothing is unimpossible, but just for the record, a US citizen is required by Federal law not only to enter the United States with his or her US passport, but also to leave it. Let me know if you need a State.gov source for this and I look it up.

OP,

all you take to the Oath Ceremony is your N-445 and your Green Card. Your passport stays home, unless you engaged in international travel between the interview and the Oath Ceremony.

Shain was referring to the naturalized test that could be translated to the interview, not the oath ceremony.

In regards to leaving the USA with a foreign passport, my wife to be was visiting me with a visa and a I-94, on her return trip, always checked and took her I-94 on her return, she was here as a tourist. Since we were engaged to be married, watched that I-94 date like a hawk, didn't want problems with the USCIS with an overstay. We also had problems in renewing her foreign passport, consulate said, why do you want this passport since you are living in the USA. Kind of puts you between a rock and a hard place. Just quickly replied, we are only staying here to make lots of money, then we are both moving back. I told a white lie, but it worked.

Doubt if you would have an I-94 if you lived here for several years as a LPR. When we were married and traveled, that's when she only had her foreign passport and her green card. Her green card was both the key for leaving and coming back. But they take your green card away at the oath ceremony, that is when you need a US passport as well.

If there is a law to do effect, not really aware of it, but if there is, can say by experience, the guys working at the POE are not aware of it.

Wife called the Colombian consulate, was told she should have been admitted to Colombia, not because she was a US Citizen, but because when she was 18 was naturalized in Venezuela that automatically relinquished her Colombian citizenship. But she has no proof of that. So as far as Colombia is concerned, okay to be a US citizen, they will reinstate her, but not a Venezuelan citizen. My head is spinning, but I think she has to relinquish her Venezuelan citizenship first.

At one time, Venezuela, Colombia and Ecuador were one country all banding together to get rid of the Spanish control, just like we were getting rid of British control, but we became independent states where they became independent countries. Augmented by the fact that Chavez hates Colombia. So because of his problem, we have problems. Ironically, both countries have the same identical language and cultures, it just that he leadership doesn't get along. So we pay the price, again!

Shain was referring to the naturalized test that could be translated to the interview, not the oath ceremony.

In regards to leaving the USA with a foreign passport, my wife to be was visiting me with a visa and a I-94, on her return trip, always checked and took her I-94 on her return, she was here as a tourist. Since we were engaged to be married, watched that I-94 date like a hawk, didn't want problems with the USCIS with an overstay. We also had problems in renewing her foreign passport, consulate said, why do you want this passport since you are living in the USA. Kind of puts you between a rock and a hard place. Just quickly replied, we are only staying here to make lots of money, then we are both moving back. I told a white lie, but it worked.

Doubt if you would have an I-94 if you lived here for several years as a LPR. When we were married and traveled, that's when she only had her foreign passport and her green card. Her green card was both the key for leaving and coming back. But they take your green card away at the oath ceremony, that is when you need a US passport as well.

If there is a law to do effect, not really aware of it, but if there is, can say by experience, the guys working at the POE are not aware of it.

Wife called the Colombian consulate, was told she should have been admitted to Colombia, not because she was a US Citizen, but because when she was 18 was naturalized in Venezuela that automatically relinquished her Colombian citizenship. But she has no proof of that. So as far as Colombia is concerned, okay to be a US citizen, they will reinstate her, but not a Venezuelan citizen. My head is spinning, but I think she has to relinquish her Venezuelan citizenship first.

At one time, Venezuela, Colombia and Ecuador were one country all banding together to get rid of the Spanish control, just like we were getting rid of British control, but we became independent states where they became independent countries. Augmented by the fact that Chavez hates Colombia. So because of his problem, we have problems. Ironically, both countries have the same identical language and cultures, it just that he leadership doesn't get along. So we pay the price, again!

so i guess your wife can't be called American/ Venezuela/Colombian citizen anytime soon then huh :blink:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.