JVKn'CVO

Dual Citizenship Question

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello,

I'll be applying for naturalization in February. Having read the guide to naturalization, I have a question regarding dual citizenship:

I know that in practice, dual citizenships are fairly common, however:

If the oath of allegiance states that you absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, (etc ect)

How is that compatible with keeping your previous citizenship?

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it might be up to the country. I know Canada does not recognize verbal renunciation of citizenship so it doesn't matter to them if I say I will renounce it.

What does Argentina have to say about it?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

Dual citizenship always involves two countries and these countries' policies. The USA "tolerates" dual citizenship in a "don't ask -- don't tell kind of way, and you'll need to find out Argentina's position to this so that you can make an informed decision.

http://expat-argentina.blogspot.com/2005/08/dual-citizenship.html

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello,

I'll be applying for naturalization in February. Having read the guide to naturalization, I have a question regarding dual citizenship:

I know that in practice, dual citizenships are fairly common, however:

If the oath of allegiance states that you absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, (etc ect)

How is that compatible with keeping your previous citizenship?

This link here: http://www.800citizen.com/dualCitizenship.htm states that Argentina allows you to retain your citizenship.

Like others have said, some countries don't take a verbal statement as you renouncing it. You actually have to put it in writing.

Timeline

Thank you all for your answers, and I appreciate the input but I think I wasn't clear enough on my question:

I know Argentina allows dual citizenship (In fact, having a dual Argentine-Italian or Argentine-Spanish citizenship is very common)

My question is more along the lines of: How can the process of naturalization include a swear under oath that you are giving up all previous allegiances, but still recognize dual citizenships?

@Justbob: You said that "The USA "tolerates" dual citizenship in a "don't ask -- don't tell kind of way" - But if the issue would come up in the future where it is evident that I have dual citizenship, will I be in trouble?

Saludos,

Caro

Edited by JVKn'CVO

***Justin And Caro***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Thank you all for your answers, and I appreciate the input but I think I wasn't clear enough on my question:

I know Argentina allows dual citizenship (In fact, having a dual Argentine-Italian or Argentine-Spanish citizenship is very common)

My question is more along the lines of: How can the process of naturalization include a swear under oath that you are giving up all previous allegiances, but still recognize dual citizenships?

@Justbob: You said that "The USA "tolerates" dual citizenship in a "don't ask -- don't tell kind of way" - But if the issue would come up in the future where it is evident that I have dual citizenship, will I be in trouble?

No. You won't get into trouble. You're not the first nor will you be the last.

I personally agree with you. I don't think that particular part should be in there because I don't give up UK or Aussie, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the US as well.

I don't know how to answer your question in a manner that will appease you. I just know that dual and multi citizenships aren't an issue. When you're in the US you're a US citizen. When you're in your home country you're your home countries citizen and when you're elsewhere you pretty much get to choose.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You won't get into trouble because the US won't recognize dual citizenship. That doesn't mean you can't have it, it just means that once you are an American, the US will only recognize your American citizenship.

You can be a dual citizen, but don't expect the US to recognize it

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Because the DOS puts your place of birth on your US passport, you have no choice but to maintain duel citizenship although the DOS prefers dual naturalization if you want to visit your mom.

In that History Channel bit on Naturalization, this guys IO asked him which country he would stand up for in the event of the USA going to war with that country. My wife was never asked that question and haven't met anyone so far that was. But the correct answer is you would stand up for the USA.

Colombia wouldn't even let my wife enter with her US passport, we got into quite a discussion on this, but they let her in on the basis she would renew her Colombian citizenship that she needs first before getting a Colombian passport. Apparently she was flagged on this because when we left, they ask to see her application papers. We could have gotten both her passport and Colombian ID instantly if I handed 500 US bucks under the table, but we refused to do that. Took ten months to get her ID now we have to drive down to no parking anywhere Chicago to get her Colombian passport.

I don't go along with that don't ask don't tell philosophy, and my wife takes her oath to the USA very seriously. I went around in circles on this issue with the DOS, my senator, and congressman. So in cases like this, started a file of proof that we have no choice in this matter. My wife just wants to visit her mom. And they lied to her when they said she is a US citizen just like she was born here.

We also have hypocritical basterds in this country, this really pisses me off. I already had to sacrifice six years of my life and was expected to give it for the freedom of this country. A strong exemption to this is if you had an old man that could send you to Harvard and those are the basterds running this country today. Consider those to be more of my enemy than even a foreign country. One thing Harvard Law School teaches is how to lie and get away with it. Screw them, this is my country, these basterds are traitors to it. But blame my fellow Americans for being stupid enough to vote them in.

Filed: Other Timeline

Have time?

Read this:

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html

So, yes, in theory a President of the United States can at some point hold all of us to our oath and require proof within a certain time frame that we surrendered our former citizenship. It's not very likely though, as some countries do not even allow their citizens to do that and the US has no way to enforce other countries' policies. That's why they take our sworn word for it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

I think I got it now :) Thanks for your help!

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks for asking, we had this question too and this thread cleared it up. Do you happen to know about the USC becoming a resident (or whatever) of Argentina as well?

Adorable little boy! :)

12-04-09 mailed I-129F

12-07-09 I-129F arrived in Vermont

12-08-09 NOA1

12-10-09 check cashed

04-05-10 NOA2 (no touches until approval!)

04-19-10 received at NVC

04-21-10 NVC sent to embassy

04-24-10 arrived at embassy

05-17-10 received packet 3

05-18-10 delivered packet to embassy

embassy asks us for ridiculous things before giving interview date, such as a photocopy of the sealed envelope from the medical exam...

07-27-10 interview

08-05-10 received visa!!!!!

08-06-10 left Argentina

08-07-10 POE (Dallas)

08-12-10 civil marriage ceremony

08-23-10 mailed AOS packet with EAD and AP applications together

08-25-10 packet arrived in Chicago

09-01-10 NOAs

09-02-10 check cashed

09-21-10 received SS number :) had to go into office twice but it worked!

09-23-10 requested EAD expedite

09-24-10 received biometrics letter

09-27-10 successful walk-in biometrics taken

10-01-10 receive EAD expedite request RFE letter

10-04-10 US Representative's office forwards our EAD expedite evidence

10-06-10 expedite for EAD granted, EAD and AP both issued :D

10-09-10 wedding (party!)

01-04-11 AOS interview (rescheduled because we moved, was 12-16-10) Approved!

on another note, I believe someone who possesses other citizenships besides the US one is not eligible to work for the US government.

Naturalization adventure (5-year rule)

Local District office - Indianapolis, IN

08/25/2010-01/06/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.