vadelice

If K-1 Visa Fiance does not marry within 90 days can she stay?

30 posts in this topic

The fact that she wants to stay without getting married seems to point that marriage might not have been the main factor in her immigrating anyways, at least that is my impression from the way the situation was worded.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Even though it says she can fill out an I-130 relative petition?

I agree with you. The question and answer are misleading. If the question were rewritten as "What happens if we get married after the 90 day validity of the K1 visa?" then the answer would be correct. The way it's currently written it does give the impression that the alien can submit an I-130 even if they don't marry the petitioner. As others have pointed out, this is not true.

An I-130 is a petition for a relative. An alien can't submit this petition themselves. They must have a qualifying relative who is a US citizen or permanent resident submit this petition on their behalf. A qualifying relative is a spouse, parent, or adult child. A sibling is also a qualifying relative if the sibling is a US citizen.

There are further restrictions on someone who enters the US with a K1 visa. They can only adjust status if the qualifying relative is their spouse, and is the same US citizen who sent the K1 petition.

The only other option is a refugee or asylum application. These are available to any warm body standing on US soil, regardless how or when they arrived. They are also very difficult to get approved.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

That's sad to hear, and I feel bad for her. Unfortunately, there's no ifs and buts here. She has to go back home :(

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The context of what you read was if they marry the petitioner after the 90 days. The person in question doesn't have an immediate relative in the USA unless they marry the petitioner. If they don't marry the US Citizen petitioner at all, the law requires them to leave the USA. Where they go is not specified. While most will choose to return to their home country, where they go when they leave the USA is up to them. There is no legal path for a K1 visa holder to become a legal resident of the USA EXCEPT through marriage to the original petitioner.

She wont comply with USCIS and her A # will expire after the 90 days if she doesnt

marry within 90 days upon arrival. She than will have pasted her stay time, & can

later be banned from entry 3 to 10 years if she files to try to come again later.

USCIS is very very STRICK on over stay of any Visa they issue.

She only can stay to marry to the existiing petetionier by who she file the I-130 with.

AOS CAN'T be obtained unless she can show a marriage took place with the petetionier.

She is asking for very big problems if she stay in the country, she wont be able to

work legally or obtain and SS card for work. If she oleave before the 90 days than

she is complying with USCIS as part of her Visa. Than will be able to again or could

enter the USA at another time with the correct valid Visa.

Good Luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I posted a similar post a while back. Me and my wife are happily married but we have a friend who applied for a K-1 visa for his fiance. She came here 4 weeks ago on a K-1 visa. Her boyfirend has changed on her since she has been living here and believes he will not marry her. She is asking me and my wife if she can stay here after 90 days if they do not marry? I said I am not sure?

I found this on this website (Visajourney)

Some say she has to go back to her home country.

Does anyone know what or how she can stay without being married on a K-1 or is it possible to stay here without being married? Will she get in trouble or have problems and possibly have to go back if she does not get married and stays?

she can not stay there. she must come back. same thing happened to me too. i got visa and arrived usa. after 2 days of my arrival he decided not to marry me so i came back after it happened 2 weeks. now i have met a much better guy and i'm doing visa again. so tell your friend to come back, if she likes usa she could meet a right man again maybe very soon.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

she can not stay there. she must come back. same thing happened to me too. i got visa and arrived usa. after 2 days of my arrival he decided not to marry me so i came back after it happened 2 weeks. now i have met a much better guy and i'm doing visa again. so tell your friend to come back, if she likes usa she could meet a right man again maybe very soon.

"Leave" and "go back" are not the same thing. She must leave the USA. Where she goes is not the USA's business.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

She must go home. The law is very clear. Anyone that comes here on a K-1 visa must get married within 90 days of arrival .

FAQ: 6.13)...What happens if we do not get married within the 90 day validity of the K1 visa?

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

There is no "some say this" or "some say that." The law is very specific here. The K-1 visa allows for a one time entry in order for a US Citizen and a foreign national to get married and then allows the foreign national to apply for an adjustment of status which can lead to long term residency.

The goal of her coming to the US was to marry this person. If this doesn't happen, she needs to go back.

Unless, of course, she was abused. Then she can self-petition, and without paying fees too. We don't know all the facts here....

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

Timeline

As has been indicated, the question doesn't go with the answer. The answer is to this question. "What happens if we marry after the 90 days allowed?"

The OP is asking about somebody who won't marry the petitioner, ever. The correct answer has been given, in that the visa holder must leave the USA. The question in th FAQ needs to be updated so that the question matches the answer, then another question, "What happens if I do not marry the petitioner?" needs its own answer. Whomever writes it needs to take care to indicate the visa holder must "leave the USA", not "go home".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Unless, of course, she was abused. Then she can self-petition, and without paying fees too. We don't know all the facts here....

She has to be married first in order to qualify.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

She has to be married first in order to qualify.

Yep and to the petitioner that filed for the K-1 visa.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I'm sorry for her, but she has to go back..

2005---We met by friend/Church member that was living in Nigeria

2006---We begin to talk about getting married

2007---I was going to met him face to face, but hurt my back couldn't walk..

2009---Was able to see each for the first time.. I got my engagement ring (WOW).. :wow:

2010-01-22 mailed I129f

2010-01-26 got NOA1

2010-05-12 called to see why no NOA2, I was told that our case is not being processed yet!!!!! No notes in the computer

other then the mailing of the NOA1!!!!!!! :angry:

2010-05-18 called SERVICE CENTER again to see what's going on with our case.. NOT BEING PROCESSED YET I WAS TOLD AGAIN!!!

2010-06-16 Got notice that NOA2 was approved 141 days after NOA1. We got our approval on Ossy's Birthday.. Happy birthday honey, I love you!!!!

2010-06-21 got NOA2 in hand

2010-06-22 called NVC to see if papers was there, but was told that my DOB was not right in the system. Just mailed a letter along with a copy of my birth certificate asking to change my DOB.. Way to go VCS..

2010-06-22 NVC received the case

2010-06-23 Case sent to Embassy in Barbados

2010-06-28 Embassy received our case

2010-08-09 Interview Administrative Review

2010-11-15 Approved for Visa (I was on the mission to make sure the INTERVIEWER that we had never interviewed anyone else and I did it).. Know that you have right and don't let the interviewer cross the line..

2010-12-10 Visa and Passport in hand!!! Thank God!!!

2010-12-19 Ossy will enter the States!!

Timeline

I'm sorry for her, but she has to go back..

Again, no, she doesn't have to "go back". The law requires her to "leave the USA". It's not the same thing unless that's where she decides to go when she leaves.

She doesn't "have to" anything. She could choose to remain in the USA illegally and risk the consequences.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.