Canadian in GA

personal statement from yourself for an I-601

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

o-k for some reason it did not post!

this is my thirs time trying to post this grrr!

ok, i have a quick question. i am about to hand in my application for a I-601 waiver. and wondering if anyone has added a personal statement of their own ( i am the applicant) YES i know its about the USC and the extreme hardship they would face and its not about me, pls dont remind me! but i was wondering if it was any good to include one of my own? - not so much of my extreme hardship, but explaining what happened ( crime of MT) and how i have changed.

has anyone added something of their own?

if so how did u word it? i know each person is different, but i just need something to start off with, as my mind is so blocked from all this preparation.

Jen

"Canadian in Georgia"

Filed: Other Timeline

Jen,

while many immigration-related things can be done without the help of an attorney, the I-601 is not one of them. If you were a very gifted writer, a proof reader with a degree in Political Science, perhaps, I'd be inclined to think otherwise, but the fact that you're even asking a questions whose answer is self-evident, tells me that that's not the case.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

simple question, Ive gotten attorney advice- just asking this question thanks..anyone else

Edited by Canadian in GA

Jen

"Canadian in Georgia"

Filed: Timeline

simple question, Ive gotten attorney advice- just asking this question thanks..anyone else

Jen,

I submitted two letters from business assoiciates of mine (on company letterheads) that stated my character as it is and NOT was. Also I included a letter from myself explaining my CIMT (exact detail) many years ago, my remorse, and current well being. This was included along with letters from my wife, her family, her doctor, her employer, etc........

Good luck.

Mine went through fine. I'm the USC and we filed like I said on the other thread due to a charge in 1988 of my husband's. I was told to get an attorney, but did submitted it myself instead. Our local field office is extremely nice and that was where it was sent. Our interview officer was extremely helpful when I asked him at the AOS interview how to do this as suggested by him.

My husband did write something himself about his character, remorse, etc. It was approved without any problems.

USC

11/10/2007 married

12/17/2007 I-130 1-485 submitted

9/4/2008 AOS interview

1/29/2009 GC

12/15/2010 I-751 sent

5/7/2011 ROC approved

5/11/2011 email stating card production ordered

5/13/2011 approval letter received in mail

5/13/2011 GC sent to wrong address due to system error

5/16/2011 service request opened

5/16/2011 usps tracking number shows card undeliverable

6/13/2011 GC returned to VSC

6/15/2011 case status update shows card was mailed out to correct address

6/17/2011 GC received in mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

o-k for some reason it did not post!

this is my thirs time trying to post this grrr!

ok, i have a quick question. i am about to hand in my application for a I-601 waiver. and wondering if anyone has added a personal statement of their own ( i am the applicant) YES i know its about the USC and the extreme hardship they would face and its not about me, pls dont remind me! but i was wondering if it was any good to include one of my own? - not so much of my extreme hardship, but explaining what happened ( crime of MT) and how i have changed.

has anyone added something of their own?

if so how did u word it? i know each person is different, but i just need something to start off with, as my mind is so blocked from all this preparation.

It might be fine, be brief to the point, collaborate what your husband has said and don't deny it because its in your record. And don't bring up any other issues that would be red flags.

While I would be inclined to say that more is more with the USCIS, send them everything you have and let them throw out what they dont want, one has to be careful with intent letters. If you go overboard you could shoot yourself in the foot with too much information and perhaps making them look closely at things. I dont think it would harm your 601 if you are brief and to the point.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.