Wishing

Getting Canadian Passport Picture in US

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just had my wife's Canadian passport picture taken at the local US Postal Service office for $15. They used a fancy camera that actually has templates on its screen for the face size/position requirements of most countries. They used a white background screen and a flash, which left a very small shadow an inch or so below my wife's ears. I hope that isn't going to be a problem. The clerk also stamped both pics with the office name/address, dated both and signed one of them before I could stop her. The instructions I had said nothing about the pictures being signed by the photographer and said only one picture should be stamped/dated, not both. She said most countries want the signature of the photographer. I also just realized she wrote the date but did not prefix it with "Photo taken" like the instructions show in the example. Anyway I hope the pics will be accepted despite all that. They all seem like minor things but sometimes bureaucrats are ridiculous about following instructions exactly.

Also, she only had a cutting device for 2x2 pictures but the instructions call for 2.75x2 so she said we could cut them at home. Since the camera was set to Canadian template it printed 2.75x2 (actually very slightly smaller so, again, I hope a slight white border isn't a problem). Since the pics weren't cut when she signed one, I noticed the bottom of one letter is going to be cut off when I cut the pic. Blarg. So the Canadian bureaucrats have plenty of little reasons to reject the pics but hopefully it will be ok. The lady at the post office mentioned that some countries charge exorbitant rates like $300 per application and if they reject your pictures they make you pay $300 again to submit new ones! So at least that's not a problem with Canada.

Hope it works out---Canada is extremely picky when it comes to pictures--

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.