112 posts in this topic

Thanks Saylin for posting the steps for getting through the Montreal process. I just wanted to make sure that this list is still complete and accurate.

If you're "oppting in" for EP at which step is that email sent?

Does the DS-230 still need to be submitted via email? The only way that makes sense to me is that Montreal wants the 260 and the NVC wants the 230, am I making the right assumption?

The optin email is sent as soon as you have your case number.

If you're going through Montreal, you don't do the DS-230, you have to do the online version which is called the DS-260. The DS-230 and DS-260 are the exact same forms, just one is done online while the other isn't. Once your IV appears as PAID, you're then able to complete the DS-260 online and once finished, submit it. You then email (if you optin for EP) the supporting documents (passports pics, certificates, copy of passport, etc).

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The optin email is sent as soon as you have your case number.

If you're going through Montreal, you don't do the DS-230, you have to do the online version which is called the DS-260. The DS-230 and DS-260 are the exact same forms, just one is done online while the other isn't. Once your IV appears as PAID, you're then able to complete the DS-260 online and once finished, submit it. You then email (if you optin for EP) the supporting documents (passports pics, certificates, copy of passport, etc).

Thanks! So we can just skip the 230 entirely.

Thanks! So we can just skip the 230 entirely.

The DS-230 form yes. You're still filling out the Application for Immigrant Visa though; it's just online.

Edited by Saylin

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The DS-230 form yes. You're still filling out the Application for Immigrant Visa though; it's just online.

Recent reviews of the interviews in Montreal state that they are forcing applicants to manually fill out the DS-230 at the consulate. "we are switching but still dont have access to them".

Im going to have my wife have a pre-filled copy of the DS-230 just in case this happens. I would HATE to have to try and fill that out manually at the office.

Recent reviews of the interviews in Montreal state that they are forcing applicants to manually fill out the DS-230 at the consulate. "we are switching but still dont have access to them".

Im going to have my wife have a pre-filled copy of the DS-230 just in case this happens. I would HATE to have to try and fill that out manually at the office.

Yes, Montreal hasn't gotten used to the new DS-260 system yet. Even before reading any of the reviews I was planning on bringing a DS-230 with me, so I don't need to fill it out there and waste time.

• 1 year later...

IF we submitted all these original civil documents with the I-130 do they need to be submitted a second time after submitting the DS-260 to the NVC?

submit photocopy of original civil document with I130 petition at USICS.

original documents are sending to the NVC

I-130 NOA1:2011/10/17(217 days)

After 187 days REF:2012/4/24(email)

REF:2012/5/7(mail)-stupid photo

REF Sent:2012/5/8

REF reviewing:2012/5/15

Approved NOA2 :2012/5/21(email)2012/5/24(mail)

NVC (66 days)

NVC Received case:2012/6/11 (22days/15 business days)

case no.assigned:2012/6/19 (8 days/6 business days since NVC received case)

DS-3032 sent: 2012/6/19 wrong case no. resent:2012/6/20

AOS I-864 Bill : 2012/6/21

Pay I-864 Bill:2012/6/22(Fri),6/25(Mon) showed as PAID

DS-3032 accepted : 2012/6/28

Receive IV Bill DS-230 : 2012/6/29

Pay IV Bill DS-230 : 2012/6/30(Fri),7/3(Mon) showed as PAID

Return Completed I-864 :2012/7/10,arrived:2012/7/13,accepted:2012/7/20

Medical:2012/7/13 received result:2012/7/24

Return Completed DS-230 :2012/7/14,arrived:2012/7/23,accepted:2012/7/26

Case Completed at NVC :2012/7/26

Interview date assigned+P4 interview letter :2012/8/3(8 days since case completed)

Interview date :2012/9/25 OMG flying to Sydney

Interview Result : Approved!

Visa issued:2012/09/26 (received an email notice)

Visa Received :2012/09/28(Yeah...got it!!)

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.