112 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I saw in another thread http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/287541-info-for-montreal-beneficiaries/ that it appears to be mandatory now. I'd call up an operator tomorrow and explain your situation to them and ask what to do.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I got through to NVC tonight. As it turns out, I panicked for nothing as the original documents still need to be mailed to Portsmouth, NH, once the DS-260 is filled out and submitted online. I hope the agent knew what she was talking about. I'm going to go back online, finish filling out the DS-260 form, press submit and see what I'm told to do next. Will keep you posted.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I posted this on that other thread too, but for the benefit of people finding out they should fill out the DS-260 (like everyone in Canada filing for an IR-1/CR-1), when you call the NVC to get your invoice ID number, make sure to also ask for your beneficiary ID number. You'll need the beneficiary ID to be able to fill out the DS-261 (online choice of agent form).

Timeline

Thanks for responding so quickly. I got through to NVC tonight. As it turns out, I panicked for nothing as the original documents still need to be mailed to Portsmouth, NH, once the DS-260 is filled out and submitted online. I hope the agent knew what she was talking about. I'm going to go back online, finish filling out the DS-260 form, press submit and see what I'm told to do next. Will keep you posted.

I just started filling out my DS-260. The first page of instructions after you start the aplication says:

Once you have submitted this form and all the DS-260 forms for the other members of your family who are traveling with you and are listed on your petition, please mail in all of the required civil documents, photographs and embassy specific documents to the
NVC
. The
NVC
will begin the admistrative review of your form once they have received all of the required documentation.

So, I think the agent was on the right track. Hopefully they can somehow track down your DS-230 and match it up with your DS-260!

I posted this on that other thread too, but for the benefit of people finding out they should fill out the DS-260 (like everyone in Canada filing for an IR-1/CR-1), when you call the NVC to get your invoice ID number, make sure to also ask for your beneficiary ID number. You'll need the beneficiary ID to be able to fill out the DS-261 (online choice of agent form).

I haven't reached NVC yet, so I have a few questions on this DS-260 business and hope you can answer. With this DS-261 (CoA form), you fill it out online and submit it, correct? There's now no need to opt in for EP and attach a DS-3032?

If that's correct, would this be the track to get through NVC?:

1-NVC receives case

2-Call up and give email addresses, ask for IIN and beneficiary ID

3-Submit DS-261

4-Pay AoS bill when it appears

5-When shown as PAID, submit the I-864 package as a PDF to NVCelectronic email

6-Pay IV bill when it appears

7-When shown as PAID, submit the DS-260 online form and submit the DS-230 docs as a PDF to NVCelectronic email

8-Wait for case complete

Am I understanding that correctly?

Timeline

yuppity yup. .ds 2230 is for NVC...ds260 is for the montreal consulate, the ds260 is an advanced form of the ds230 where they ask you almost the same questions, but want more details.

Any news on your interview date CRN?

USCIS California Service Center - Expedited

09-SEP-2010 : Mailed I130 Petition to Chicago Lockbox.

16-SEP-2010 : Received NOA1.

24-SEP-2010 : Expedite: service request

05-OCT-2010 : Supporting documents sent to CSC.

16-OCT-2010 : RFE received.

19-OCT-2010 : RFE response received at CSC.

22-OCT-2010 : I130 Petition APPROVED.

30-OCT-2010 : NOA2 Received in Mail

NVC - Expedited

27-OCT-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-NOV-2010 : Expedite request emailed to NVC

10-NOV-2010 : Expedite approved - Case forwarded to Consulate

12-NOV-2010 : Medical

US Embassy - Expedited

18-NOV-2010 : Packet 3 email received.

19-NOV-2010 : Emailed DS230, DS2001

30-NOV-2010 : Interview - 9am Denied: 3 year bar (overstay) - i601 Waiver filed with expedite request

01-DEC-2010 : MP requests assistance from US Ambassador

03-DEC-2010 : Waiver transferred from USCIS to DHS

11-DEC-2010 : Waiver Receipt notification dated 07-DEC-2010

20-DEC-2010 : VISA/Waiver Approved

22-DEC-2010 : Approval letter received

24-DEC-2010 : Passport collected by courier

10-JAN-2011 : CR1 Visa Issued by IVU London

11-JAN-2011 : Passport / Visa delivered.

18-JAN-2011 : POE: EWR (Newark, New Jersey)

17-FEB-2011 : Welcome Letter Arrived

19-FEB-2011 : Green Card I-551 Arrived

I-130 Mailing to Approval (incl. waiver): 102 Days

OCT 2012 : Applied for Removal of Conditions

DEC 2012 : Received NOA1 (GC extention letter)

18-JAN-2013 : Biometrics walk in approved and completed

Timeline

nothing, christy checked the courier..the BC was delivered and signed for yesterday, and I finished and submitted that DS260 last night at 7 pm..I figure it'll take them a few days to attach the documents requested to our file...probably call tomorrow to see what's going on. All I know is that the supervisor apparently said that Montreal requested the information..not NVC. that DS260 is strictly for montreal processing...so that leads me to believe we're on the verge of something. Other than that...tick tock tick tock tick tock..

so it sounds like your expedite request has gone through then, fingers crossed.

youll be er.....bringin home the bacon in no time mate :rofl: no pun intended. well. thats a lie cos ive made myself laugh at that. see. this is what immigration does to you. and retarded courier services from the embassy! :bonk:

USCIS California Service Center - Expedited

09-SEP-2010 : Mailed I130 Petition to Chicago Lockbox.

16-SEP-2010 : Received NOA1.

24-SEP-2010 : Expedite: service request

05-OCT-2010 : Supporting documents sent to CSC.

16-OCT-2010 : RFE received.

19-OCT-2010 : RFE response received at CSC.

22-OCT-2010 : I130 Petition APPROVED.

30-OCT-2010 : NOA2 Received in Mail

NVC - Expedited

27-OCT-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-NOV-2010 : Expedite request emailed to NVC

10-NOV-2010 : Expedite approved - Case forwarded to Consulate

12-NOV-2010 : Medical

US Embassy - Expedited

18-NOV-2010 : Packet 3 email received.

19-NOV-2010 : Emailed DS230, DS2001

30-NOV-2010 : Interview - 9am Denied: 3 year bar (overstay) - i601 Waiver filed with expedite request

01-DEC-2010 : MP requests assistance from US Ambassador

03-DEC-2010 : Waiver transferred from USCIS to DHS

11-DEC-2010 : Waiver Receipt notification dated 07-DEC-2010

20-DEC-2010 : VISA/Waiver Approved

22-DEC-2010 : Approval letter received

24-DEC-2010 : Passport collected by courier

10-JAN-2011 : CR1 Visa Issued by IVU London

11-JAN-2011 : Passport / Visa delivered.

18-JAN-2011 : POE: EWR (Newark, New Jersey)

17-FEB-2011 : Welcome Letter Arrived

19-FEB-2011 : Green Card I-551 Arrived

I-130 Mailing to Approval (incl. waiver): 102 Days

OCT 2012 : Applied for Removal of Conditions

DEC 2012 : Received NOA1 (GC extention letter)

18-JAN-2013 : Biometrics walk in approved and completed

Timeline

Oh I'm leaving for Christmas and New Years vacation to Ohio tomorrow..regardless of this..if the interview is scheduled, I'll just cut it short..i'll be gone for two weeks. I'll be eating some bacon tomorrow night...she cleans up well when I get home, lol

Timeline

I haven't reached NVC yet, so I have a few questions on this DS-260 business and hope you can answer. With this DS-261 (CoA form), you fill it out online and submit it, correct? There's now no need to opt in for EP and attach a DS-3032?

If that's correct, would this be the track to get through NVC?:

1-NVC receives case

2-Call up and give email addresses, ask for IIN and beneficiary ID

3-Submit DS-261

4-Pay AoS bill when it appears

5-When shown as PAID, submit the I-864 package as a PDF to NVCelectronic email

6-Pay IV bill when it appears

7-When shown as PAID, submit the DS-260 online form and submit the DS-230 docs as a PDF to NVCelectronic email

8-Wait for case complete

Am I understanding that correctly?

I'm basically between steps 6 and 7 right now. I sent the I-864 via express snail mail. My plan was also to snail mail the birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc. Maybe I was assuming too much, but based on the way the instructions are worded, I didn't think they want you sending PDFs like you used to do for the old electronic processing stuff. But, I realized that was a total assumption on my part. I never actually confirmed it with an agent at NVC.

One thing to note is that the DS-260 asks for some info that wasn't required on the DS-230. I'm going to put up a separate reply with that info.

Now I'm wondering... how can I check to see if the I-864 was received and processed.... Hopefully I did the right thing.

Anyone else out there been through the DS-260 process yet? Did you do snail mail or email for the supporting documents?

I'm basically between steps 6 and 7 right now. I sent the I-864 via express snail mail. My plan was also to snail mail the birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc. Maybe I was assuming too much, but based on the way the instructions are worded, I didn't think they want you sending PDFs like you used to do for the old electronic processing stuff. But, I realized that was a total assumption on my part. I never actually confirmed it with an agent at NVC.

One thing to note is that the DS-260 asks for some info that wasn't required on the DS-230. I'm going to put up a separate reply with that info.

Now I'm wondering... how can I check to see if the I-864 was received and processed.... Hopefully I did the right thing.

Anyone else out there been through the DS-260 process yet? Did you do snail mail or email for the supporting documents?

Thanks for replying.

To know if they got your I-864, you can call them up to see if they received it. And while you're talking with them, I'd ask if what you did was right or not.

And you mention instructions that you got, would you be able to copy and paste the instructions here? I'd like to give it a read while I'm waiting for the NVC stage.

I'll await your next reply with the added info on the DS-260.

Thanks a lot for all this information, it's really helping me understand this different process.

Timeline

DS-260 differences from the DS-230:

Here's what I've found based on starting to fill out the form and looking through the screenshots of the form (don't worry the form isn't 72 pages long, they just show you all the different questions that might be asked depending on if you have kids/no kids, former spouse/no former spouse, etc). Anyone notice any other differences?

• Asks for passport info, including passport number
  • Only asks for previous 5 visits to the US
  • Asks for more info on previous jobs (supervisor's name/title/phone number)
  • Asks questions about if you've ever been part of or contributed to a professional, social, or charitable organization, and do you have "specialized skills" like how to make bombs
  • The questions about illegal groups and activities are way more detailed than before

Timeline

And you mention instructions that you got, would you be able to copy and paste the instructions here? I'd like to give it a read while I'm waiting for the NVC stage.

I haven't gotten anything in the mail from the NVC yet about the DS-260. I started filling it out based on stuff I read here about them starting to require it and then calling the NVC and having an agent tell me I should fill it out. I actually got a mail with my invoice ID number like 3 or 4 days after I got my invoice ID number from an NVC agent, but it included a copy of the DS-3032.

So, most of the instructions are in the screenshots I linked to in my last reply. The first page of instructions are slightly different, so here they are:

You selected the Electronic Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration. This application is for individuals who are applying for an immigrant visa and alien registration.

Please have your passport (or travel documentation), previous visa information (if applicable), and any other documents relevant to your intended immigration to the United States ready and available for your reference before you start the application process.

The following instructions contain important information about the application process. Please read all the instructions carefully.

Instructions for completing the Electronic Application for Immigrant Visa Application and Alien Registration:

Provide true and complete answers to all questions you are asked. Failure to provide an answer to a question that is applicable to you may result in your application being rejected.

Please have all of your required documentation with you while completing this form as it will be helpful for some of the questions. If you have not already collected your documentation, then please click here (
) for more information.

Your answers must be in English and must use English characters, unless you are specifically directed to provide an answer in your native alphabet. Applications submitted in any language other than English may be rejected. Letters like ñ, é, ü, ç are not recognized by the system. Please enter words like Muñoz or Sémonin as Munoz or Semonin, unless otherwise asked.

Review all the information you entered for accuracy.

We recommend that you print or email the confirmation page for your records before you exit the application. Do not mail the confirmation page to
NVC
. You should bring your confirmation page with you to your visa interview.

Once you have submitted this form and all the DS-260 forms for the other members of your family who are traveling with you and are listed on your petition, please mail in all of the required civil documents, photographs and embassy specific documents to the
NVC
. The
NVC
will begin the admistrative review of your form once they have received all of the required documentation. The
NVC
’s address is:

National Visa Center

Attn: CMR

31 Rochester Ave. Suite 100

Portsmouth, NH 03801-2914

If your application is rejected or denied for any of the above reasons you may be required to pay the application fee a second time.

Timeline

I haven't gotten anything in the mail from the NVC yet about the DS-260. I started filling it out based on stuff I read here about them starting to require it and then calling the NVC and having an agent tell me I should fill it out. I actually got a mail with my invoice ID number like 3 or 4 days after I got my invoice ID number from an NVC agent, but it included a copy of the DS-3032.

And I'm the petitioner, just so it's clear. My wife planned the wedding and I get to do the immigration paperwork. I think I still got the good side of the deal :lol: . I got a letter from the NVC, but she hasn't received anything in Canada yet.

And I'm the petitioner, just so it's clear. My wife planned the wedding and I get to do the immigration paperwork. I think I still got the good side of the deal :lol: . I got a letter from the NVC, but she hasn't received anything in Canada yet.

Thanks for everything. There definitely do appear to be a few differences between the DS-230 and the DS-260. You mentioned it wasn't really 72 pages long, it's just showing possible questions depending how you answer. When you filled it out, do you remember how many pages it was for you? I'd like to just get a rough estimate. And how long did it take to fill out?

And you're right, the instructions don't say anything about sending in the I-864 and DS-230 civil docs by PDF, but rather say "mail". So it does appear you did the right thing by mailing in your I-864 package.

I'm the beneficiary, and I've taken over all this immigration stuff. I let my husband do his job and earn money, I spend my day on VisaJourney doing my "job" (aka learning all I can). :)

Again, thank you. Any other info you think would be helpful, I'm more than happy to hear!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.