Sign in to follow this  
roseTX

Korean insults Filipino Accents

22 posts in this topic

i found it to be rather offensive. i dont know many foreigners from any country that speak perfect english. hell my company employees people from all around the world and i hear accents all day.

And if you are killing yourself to "mimic" americans, that makes you pretty fake to me, which is what the woman in the video was.

I saw a much longer cut of this video over on pinoyexchange.com.

That woman forgot to mention that the average Korean can't speak English worth a damn, :bonk:...and all the Koreans go to 'Pinas to take English lessons from Pinoys! :lol:

Mabuhay ang 'Pinas! :thumbs:

I am watching My Girl before and I am really a fun of her but now my rating for her is -1. Why don't she listen her fellow koreans speak english, maybe she can clearly distuinguish how Koreans and Filipino speask english. It is ok to make fun of somebody's accent becuase everybody does that but broadcast it in national TV is totally different thing.

I saw a much longer cut of this video over on pinoyexchange.com.

That woman forgot to mention that the average Korean can't speak English worth a damn, :bonk:...and all the Koreans go to 'Pinas to take English lessons from Pinoys! :lol:

Mabuhay ang 'Pinas! :thumbs:

You guys are too sensitive, she was doing a lot of accents. I thought it was funny, and you can tell she isn't doing it to purposely be offensive. Filipinos are too sensitive, The lady did American and English accents and you don't see us complaining.

I tend to agree with you. I am an American, of mixed Filipino heritage. I was neither offended by the American accent, nor the "Filipino" accent. I know that is not how Filipinos speak, so why should that be offensive? It shows that the person trying to imitate Filipinos is failing miserably. Now, if she said something racial to Filipinos (ie Filipinos are monkeys because...), then that would be a different story.

Several years ago in the Philippines, there was an commercial advertising Advil. One of the women pronounced "Advil" with an American accent (she was a Fil-Am or OFW). Her friends then imitated her, but grossly pronounced it nasally. Was this an example of Filipinos insulting the way Americans pronounce English?

I don't know and, frankly, I don't care. It is too silly to be upset over. :wacko:

Filipinos are too sensitive, The lady did American and English accents and you don't see us complaining.

The thing about this video is that she DELIVER the sentence well in American accent, so as the English accent. We Filipinos can imitate what ever accent there is properly, (at least the ones who are gifted with knowledge in English language) , You didn't complain mainly because the accent was right.. And when it comes to the Filipino accent, it wasn't pleasantly enunciated well, so of course we will not tolerate that kind of insult.

For the record, we are not too sensitive about this kind of thing, but no race deserves to be bullied like this esp if the backbone of the country is the one being attacked.

The thing about this video is that she DELIVER the sentence well in American accent, so as the English accent. We Filipinos can imitate what ever accent there is properly, (at least the ones who are gifted with knowledge in English language) , You didn't complain mainly because the accent was right.. And when it comes to the Filipino accent, it wasn't pleasantly enunciated well, so of course we will not tolerate that kind of insult.

For the record, we are not too sensitive about this kind of thing, but no race deserves to be bullied like this esp if the backbone of the country is the one being attacked.

Bullied? attacked? Come on, she was just joking around , and No the American and English accents were not perfect, and neither was the filipino accent. But you can't just assume she was doing it to be against filipinos. I'm sure if you were asked to do 4 or 5 accents you wouldn't get them 100% right either, but its not offensive .

The philippines needs to relax and stop the attitude of thinking that everyone is out to down them, or against them. Its clearly not the case. Her american accent was exaggerated but its still in good fun

Bullied? attacked? Come on, she was just joking around , and No the American and English accents were not perfect, and neither was the filipino accent. But you can't just assume she was doing it to be against filipinos. I'm sure if you were asked to do 4 or 5 accents you wouldn't get them 100% right either, but its not offensive .

The philippines needs to relax and stop the attitude of thinking that everyone is out to down them, or against them. Wouldn't you feel the same if you were in our shoes???

Its clearly not the case. Her american accent was exaggerated but its still in good fun

Well, I guess you are just being lenient about your language. But we tend to love ours at the same time stand for what is fair especially if someone is trying to show to the world that we are a horrible speaker.

I'm finished.

When i was in the army i was stationed in fort carson CO great place. Had a first sgt by the name of Sgt Pena respected the hell outa this guy, he was mexican. One weekend i drove up to Denver colorado and got shot in the back in a night club and wound up in the hospital because it was gun related the cops came and took one look at me while they were stitchin me up and asked me what gang i was part of, i told them the baddest mother fers in the world, the US Army and didnt say anohter word to them. When my first sgt got there they told him i was being uncooperative and asked him to get the story outa me.

Eventually i told him i was just trying to stop a guy from arguing with a female friend as he was getting physical and one of his friends shot me i guess cause i didndt even realize what happend. Cops told him what they thought happend.

on the drive home he looked me dead in the eye and told me he hated hood n's like me and i give the army a bad name. He was the only sgt i ever had who didnt have anything but high praise for me. He made that year of my military life living hell.

One night he had me working a 24 hour shift and he was in with our captain and they were kicked back in the office, and mind you this captain was a white guy but coool as hell. I overheard one of the funniest jokes i have ever heard in my life, got a good laugh out of it, at the same time i felt like ####### cause it was a black joke.

After reading this im just curious if i was being to sensitve for feeling bad or to lenient for laughing?

just cause it was a joke doesnt mean it wasnt degrading. And thats why that video is offensive, you might get a laugh, but that dont make it right

I just think its a really childish thing to be upset about, with so many other real issues going on in the philippines to care about instead. If only the same energy were focused on those things , imagine how much better the country could be.

You don't see The usa being bent out of shape every time someone does an accent or joke , we have more important things to care about it. And we have tolerance, something thats missing from a lot of the philippines

If you want to feel upset about something, start with the pollution , crime, terrorism, corruption and poor infrastructure to start

I understand that some fellow filipinos felt offended/ insulted by this one. I admit, I did too a little bit...for a moment. But then I thought to myself....why would I let this small insignificant ####### bother me when I know that MOST of them don't even know how to speak even basic english? I have encountered some that have been already here in the US for decades and yet they are having trouble speaking and understanding the basic words. :bonk:

Isn't that funny that this "BAKYA" actress try to insult filipino when MOST of them would come to the Philippines to study and learn the dialect? Geeeeez! What an I**OT!

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.