Lisa011

Overstayed Visa Waiver married to U.S Citizen

95 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I came to the U.S when i was 12 years old with my parents, I've stayed in the U.S ever since

I recently got married to a u.s citizen we have been together for 5 years, We just filed my papers for me to become permanent resident and will soon recieve our interview appointment

I'm very scared that I will be denied? and get deported

I have a clean record never been arrested

If i were to be deported and voluntarly leave what are my options as far as my husband petitioning for me to come back to U.S

11/09/2010- Sent out I485, I-130, I-765 Applications Chicago Office11/14/2010- USCIS recieved my applications11/18/2010- Received Receipts11/29/2010- Received my biometrics appointment scheduled for 12/17/201012/17/2010- Biometrics Done01/07/2011- Interview Scheduled for Feb 7th.01/21/2011- Received Email saying EAD card production01/26/2011- Received Email again saying EAD card production01/31/2011- Received EAD Card in the Mail02/07/2011- AOS Interview - Green Card Approved!!!!02/08/2011- Received Email Card/Document Production11/30/2012- Mailed out I-75112/07/2012- Received NOA12/11/2012- Received Biometric Appointment letter

12/28/2012- Biometric Appointment

05/28/2013 - Approval Letter Recieved

06/19/13- 10 Year Green Card Recieved !!!! :)

04/25/2014- Mailed out N-400 Application

05/02/2014 - Recieved email from USCIS

05/05/2014-NOA Letter

05/23/2014- Biometrics Appointment

05/28/2014- Text/Email notification In Line for Interview

07/16/2014- Text/Email Scheduled for interview

07/21/2014- Text/Email Placed in line for interview scheduling. very odd scheduled for interview and then placed back in line again

07/22/2014- Text/Email Scheduled for Interview
07/28/2014- Received interview letter
08/26/14- Interview Appointment/ Citizenship test ( APPROVED :D )

08/27/14- Scheduled for Oath Ceremony

09/16/14- Oath Ceremony :goofy::dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I think i can relieve you,

my neighbors have a simular situation.. He´came from argentina when he was 5 years old, overstayed the visa ever since.

Since you are a child, you cant make your own decisions, they might let you get away with it.thats what happened to him, he married a us girl and is immigrated now,..

09-13-10 got engaged <3

09-28-10 Sent I129-F Express

09-29-10 Delivered to Lewisville,TX but forwarded to Dallas

09-30-10 Delivered and Signed in Person in DALLAS

10-05-10 NOA 1

10-08-10 touched

10-11-10 touched

04-13-10 NOA 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-14-10 MEDICAL

Hi! Welcome to VJ!

Come on over to this forum (for people adjusting FROM non-K visas) and you'll find lots of discussion on the issue of VWP (Visa Waiver Program)and overstay.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-tourist-visas/

The short story is that we're not sure what USCIS is doing with VWP overstays. Things are changing as we speak and what used to be the norm is not the norm any more. Normally, any overstay is forgiven when married to a US citizen, but VWP people waive their right to a hearing on entering and are considered immediately deportable once they overstay (this may be different for you because you were 12 years old). USCIS always "could" just deport VWP overstays and not adjudicate any petitions, but they didn't actually start to act on that ability until the last few years.

I must say that I am sorry for your situation. It is not your fault your parents brought you here at 12. But I am just going to stick with facts here. There is still a chance that you will be approved at your interview; it depends right now on which state you live in. Some recent cases of VWP overstay have been approved, and others have been put on indefinite hold pending some further clarification from the higher-ups at USCIS.

If you do get denied (I sincerely hope you don't) then you husband would file a CR-1/IR-1 visa and have to file 2 waivers, one for the deportation you would get, and another for the overstay. (Your time here from 12 years to 18 years does not count, but I am assuming you are older than 18).

Every case is unique, and I don't know what the decision will be, especially considering your age upon entry. A lawyer could argue that you did not knowingly waive your right to a hearing when you were 12 years old.

Hope the AOS goes well! Good luck!

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Timeline

Lisa,

"When you were 12 years old," doesn't tell us much. Maybe you are now 52 years old now, like me, in which case the VWP didn't exist when you were 12, back in 1970.

The key here is to know a) your current age and b) whether you arrived with a B2 or as part of the Visa Waiver Program.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Thank you everyone for the positive posts

its a big relief to hear about others peoples cases similar to my situation that have been approved.

@Harpa Timsah- Do you know what USCIS offices in the u.s have been denying people with this situation?

I came to the us when i was 12 in 2000

now i'm 21 years old,

I honestly did not know i was here illegally until about 17 years of age.

I came here as a child Graduated school here, the U.S is the only home i know of being that i came here at such early age.

11/09/2010- Sent out I485, I-130, I-765 Applications Chicago Office11/14/2010- USCIS recieved my applications11/18/2010- Received Receipts11/29/2010- Received my biometrics appointment scheduled for 12/17/201012/17/2010- Biometrics Done01/07/2011- Interview Scheduled for Feb 7th.01/21/2011- Received Email saying EAD card production01/26/2011- Received Email again saying EAD card production01/31/2011- Received EAD Card in the Mail02/07/2011- AOS Interview - Green Card Approved!!!!02/08/2011- Received Email Card/Document Production11/30/2012- Mailed out I-75112/07/2012- Received NOA12/11/2012- Received Biometric Appointment letter

12/28/2012- Biometric Appointment

05/28/2013 - Approval Letter Recieved

06/19/13- 10 Year Green Card Recieved !!!! :)

04/25/2014- Mailed out N-400 Application

05/02/2014 - Recieved email from USCIS

05/05/2014-NOA Letter

05/23/2014- Biometrics Appointment

05/28/2014- Text/Email notification In Line for Interview

07/16/2014- Text/Email Scheduled for interview

07/21/2014- Text/Email Placed in line for interview scheduling. very odd scheduled for interview and then placed back in line again

07/22/2014- Text/Email Scheduled for Interview
07/28/2014- Received interview letter
08/26/14- Interview Appointment/ Citizenship test ( APPROVED :D )

08/27/14- Scheduled for Oath Ceremony

09/16/14- Oath Ceremony :goofy::dance:

@Harpa Timsah- Do you know what USCIS offices in the u.s have been denying people with this situation?

I don't have a full list, maybe Jim knows... I know a few states... what state are you in?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thank you everyone for the positive posts

its a big relief to hear about others peoples cases similar to my situation that have been approved.

I came to the us when i was 12 in 2000

now i'm 21 years old,

I honestly did not know i was here illegally until about 17 years of age.

I came here as a child Graduated school here, the U.S is the only home i know of being that i came here at such early age.

I know exactly how you feel. My family and I moved here in 1991. I'm 30 now. I got married a year and a half ago and recently filed for AOS. We had our interview today and unfortunately for us, the IO didn't make a decision. She had a problem about me working when I'm not supposed to be. Our lawyer explained to her that it's supposed to be forgiven but she didn't budge. She wants to discuss it with her supervisor first. So now we are waiting for the results. I honestly don't know what's going to happen. Our lawyer told us not to worry but how can we not? Just like you, the U.S is the only home I know. I grew up here. But its out of our hands now. It really depends on who you get on the day of your interview. Good luck on everything. Try to stay positive and don't lose hope. That's all I've been doing. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just to recap:

12 to 18 does not matter.

18 you started accumulating illegal presence so you now have a 10 year bar if you leave and seek to re enter.

Until recently adjusting in such circumstances would not have been a major issue. Things have changed, not something to contemplate without a lawyer. You may be lucky, you may be not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I know exactly how you feel. My family and I moved here in 1991. I'm 30 now. I got married a year and a half ago and recently filed for AOS. We had our interview today and unfortunately for us, the IO didn't make a decision. She had a problem about me working when I'm not supposed to be. Our lawyer explained to her that it's supposed to be forgiven but she didn't budge. She wants to discuss it with her supervisor first. So now we are waiting for the results. I honestly don't know what's going to happen. Our lawyer told us not to worry but how can we not? Just like you, the U.S is the only home I know. I grew up here. But its out of our hands now. It really depends on who you get on the day of your interview. Good luck on everything. Try to stay positive and don't lose hope. That's all I've been doing. :)

Yea, Great Advise. Que Sera Sera.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Adverse factors, such as overstay, preconceived intent, unauthorized working, are not "forgiven" automatically, they are taken into account when they determine the persons case. (at their discretion)

In exercising its discretion, USCIS will balance the adverse and favorable factors concerning the alien's application.

To many adverse factors and they can deny the application. In most cases, one adverse factor does not rise to the level of getting a denial - however there are some cases where one adverse factor was enough ( such as "intent to use the marriage for immigration purposes only") - but you really have to work to get that.

Personally - I do not like using the word "forgiven" in this way, I prefer "overlooked" :whistle:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hey Lisa - when you get a mo - check out http://www.immigrate2us.net

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Adverse factors, such as overstay, preconceived intent, unauthorized working, are not "forgiven" automatically, they are taken into account when they determine the persons case. (at their discretion)

In exercising its discretion, USCIS will balance the adverse and favorable factors concerning the alien's application.

To many adverse factors and they can deny the application. In most cases, one adverse factor does not rise to the level of getting a denial - however there are some cases where one adverse factor was enough ( such as "intent to use the marriage for immigration purposes only") - but you really have to work to get that.

Personally - I do not like using the word "forgiven" in this way, I prefer "overlooked" :whistle:

I agree that "forgiven" is not the correct word to use. It implies that the intending immigrant has somehow offended the immigration officer, and now needs the forgiveness of the IO in order to get a green card. I'd go even farther then "overlooked" and say that it's "irrelevant".

Normally, being out of status or working without authorization would prevent someone from adjusting status - dead stop. The INA specifically says these will disqualify an applicant out of hand. The INA also says that these specific disqualifiers don't apply to an immediate relative of a US citizen. It really has nothing to do with whether the IO has the authority to forgive or not forgive. The INA says it's not a relevant factor.

Now, if USCIS is changing their interpretation of the INA such that overstay and/or working without authorization are no longer irrelevant, but simply not an automatic disqualifier, then that would be news indeed. A great many K1's don't file for AOS until after their I-94 has expired because there has always been an assumption that the overstay could not be used to deny their AOS.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.