Lisa011

Overstayed Visa Waiver married to U.S Citizen

95 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

MYOPIA- I dont see a signature on my visa waiver my mom is the one that filled out the information such as my full name /DOB. and country of citizenship

Justbob- Thank you so much, that post on yahoo answers was probably mine, I'm very scared right now. hopeless. so i'm trying to get as many opinions and advice before i proceed with sending the USICS my documents.

I have the I-94W

its a green piece of paper it has my full name date of birth and country of citizenship on it.

there is a Departure number and a red stamp that says admitted and the date I gotr admitted on

the other side of this card has no writting

11/09/2010- Sent out I485, I-130, I-765 Applications Chicago Office11/14/2010- USCIS recieved my applications11/18/2010- Received Receipts11/29/2010- Received my biometrics appointment scheduled for 12/17/201012/17/2010- Biometrics Done01/07/2011- Interview Scheduled for Feb 7th.01/21/2011- Received Email saying EAD card production01/26/2011- Received Email again saying EAD card production01/31/2011- Received EAD Card in the Mail02/07/2011- AOS Interview - Green Card Approved!!!!02/08/2011- Received Email Card/Document Production11/30/2012- Mailed out I-75112/07/2012- Received NOA12/11/2012- Received Biometric Appointment letter

12/28/2012- Biometric Appointment

05/28/2013 - Approval Letter Recieved

06/19/13- 10 Year Green Card Recieved !!!! :)

04/25/2014- Mailed out N-400 Application

05/02/2014 - Recieved email from USCIS

05/05/2014-NOA Letter

05/23/2014- Biometrics Appointment

05/28/2014- Text/Email notification In Line for Interview

07/16/2014- Text/Email Scheduled for interview

07/21/2014- Text/Email Placed in line for interview scheduling. very odd scheduled for interview and then placed back in line again

07/22/2014- Text/Email Scheduled for Interview
07/28/2014- Received interview letter
08/26/14- Interview Appointment/ Citizenship test ( APPROVED :D )

08/27/14- Scheduled for Oath Ceremony

09/16/14- Oath Ceremony :goofy::dance:

Filed: Other Timeline

Lisa,

you have two identical posts running. JimVaPhuong, who is among the most knowledgeable people on this board, answered your question in the AOS section. His advice is worth its weight in gold and you should contact your attorney it this regard to find out how the field office that's in charge of your case has been handling AOS cases from VW overstays lately.

Moderator: please combine identical threads.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

This isn't true. Recently there have been a number of denials to VWP entrants who have an overstay. It's reckless to say otherwise. http://www.visalawye..._and_marri.html

The info was written by a lawyer possibly seeking more clients.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

MYOPIA- I dont see a signature on my visa waiver my mom is the one that filled out the information such as my full name /DOB. and country of citizenship

Justbob- Thank you so much, that post on yahoo answers was probably mine, I'm very scared right now. hopeless. so i'm trying to get as many opinions and advice before i proceed with sending the USICS my documents.

I have the I-94W

its a green piece of paper it has my full name date of birth and country of citizenship on it.

there is a Departure number and a red stamp that says admitted and the date I gotr admitted on

the other side of this card has no writting

The reason why I asked who signed the green form is because in most of the cases that have gone before the courts...the lawyers all argued the same kind of thing. In that the immigrant signed the visa waiver form not realizing that they signed their rights to appeal. That being the case I was wondering if they did deny your Adjustment...would you be able to appeal based on the fact that you did not actually sign the waiver yourself.

You didnt sign it. You had no knowledge of what was involved so how would you be culpable for that.

Another thing is that most of the cases that were denied due to the use of the visa waiver system had very complicated backgrounds to say the least. Some entered with false passports, some missed their AOS interviews, and some had committed crimes. In each of these cases it seems that UCIS used the instant deportation to expedite the removal. It is fraudulent to enter a country on a false passport but the end of a trial would have ended up in deportation anyways. The removals all seemed to be quick ways to get those people out.

Im not saying that in your district this is the case but it would be helpful if you let us know where you are in the US so that we would know which district you are in. Some districts are saying without a doubt that all visa waiver program applicants will be denied. If you live in those states..I personally would not file at all.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

This isn't true. Recently there have been a number of denials to VWP entrants who have an overstay. It's reckless to say otherwise. http://www.visalawye..._and_marri.html

The info was written by a lawyer possibly seeking more clients.

This lawyer also has copies of denials from USCIS on his website, so he's not making it up. People have been denied for VWP overstay. It's that simple.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

Filed: Country:
Timeline

The reason why I asked who signed the green form is because in most of the cases that have gone before the courts...the lawyers all argued the same kind of thing. In that the immigrant signed the visa waiver form not realizing that they signed their rights to appeal. That being the case I was wondering if they did deny your Adjustment...would you be able to appeal based on the fact that you did not actually sign the waiver yourself.

You didnt sign it. You had no knowledge of what was involved so how would you be culpable for that.

I think where you would have a problem is the USCIS already allows for children brought by their parents in that they don' technically start accruing illegal presence until they turn 18. She has remained in the US 4 years beyond her 18th birthday and is held responsible for that overstay.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Another thing is that most of the cases that were denied due to the use of the visa waiver system had very complicated backgrounds to say the least. Some entered with false passports, some missed their AOS interviews, and some had committed crimes. In each of these cases it seems that UCIS used the instant deportation to expedite the removal. It is fraudulent to enter a country on a false passport but the end of a trial would have ended up in deportation anyways. The removals all seemed to be quick ways to get those people out.

Im not saying that in your district this is the case but it would be helpful if you let us know where you are in the US so that we would know which district you are in. Some districts are saying without a doubt that all visa waiver program applicants will be denied. If you live in those states..I personally would not file at all.

The overwhelming majority of these cases will never reach a court of appeals. In fact, pretty much every court will refuse to hear them because they lack jurisdiction. This is what happened in Momeni v. Chertoff. Momeni was denied a hearing in both immigration courts and district courts on the basis that the courts lacked jurisdiction because of the "no contest" clause. Even the 9th circuit court questioned their own jurisdiction, but agreed to hear the case only because of the constitutional challenge Momeni's attorney made.

By the way, Momeni's case was not complicated in the way you describe. It was pretty straightforward. No fake passports or criminal activity. Just a VWP overstay (from Germany, no less) trying to adjust status based on marriage to a US citizen. The court's specific comments in the Momeni case were:

If a Visa Waiver Program entrant does not leave when the 90 days expires, life in the United States goes on.   It may go on for many years before the alien comes to the government's attention.   There are legal means by which aliens may marry United States citizens, obtain visas, and obtain adjustment of status, but overstaying the 90 days for tourists in the Visa Waiver Program is not among them.

We agree with the Tenth Circuit in Schmitt v. Maurer, that to allow an adjustment of status petition after the 90 days has expired would create an avoidable conflict between the adjustment of status statute and the no contest statute.

But let's assume that the OP's case was actually accepted by a court, and the OP could challenge the validity of the I-94W.

In Bayo v Chertoff, Bayo argued that the I-94W was not enforceable in his case because he did not speak English, and therefore did not understand the document he was signing. This tactic worked for him, sort of. The court remanded his case to DHS for a fact finding hearing to determine whether he knowingly waived his due process rights, as generally required by law. Unfortunately for Bayo, DHS reaffirmed the removal order, and Bayo found himself back in the 7th circuit court of appeals. In Bayo v Napolitano, Bayo reasserted (among other things) that the I-94W waiver was not enforceable because he did not speak English when he signed it. This time, the court determined that Bayo had one additional hurdle to overcome in order for his claim to be successful - he had to establish that his unknowing waiver prejudiced his case, and that the error affected the outcome. The court concluded that had Bayo understood the waiver he signed he would have had two options. If he signed it anyway, knowing full well what it said, he would have been in the same position he was already in. If he had refused to sign it, he would have been summarily removed. The court refused to review his case on that basis.

In Bradley v Attorney General, Bradley contended (among other things) that his I-94W was invalid because he was intoxicated at the time he signed it, and therefore did not knowingly waive his rights to due process. The 3rd circuit court of appeal denied his assertion for the same reason the 7th circuit court denied Bayo - Bradley could not show prejudice as a result of his unknowing waiver.

Based on these two cases, would the fact that the OP did not expressly consent to the waiver have prejudiced their case and possibly changed the outcome? No, for the same reasons it didn't prejudice the cases in either Bayo or Bradley. If the OP had expressly consented to the waiver then the OP would be in the same boat they are in now. If they had not, they would not have been admitted, and would not be applying for adjustment of status.

The I-94W states near the top of side 1 "Children under the age of fourteen must have their form signed by a parent/guardian". The signature is made on the upper portion of side 2 - the portion kept by CBP.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

The overwhelming majority of these cases will never reach a court of appeals. In fact, pretty much every court will refuse to hear them because they lack jurisdiction. This is what happened in Momeni v. Chertoff. Momeni was denied a hearing in both immigration courts and district courts on the basis that the courts lacked jurisdiction because of the "no contest" clause. Even the 9th circuit court questioned their own jurisdiction, but agreed to hear the case only because of the constitutional challenge Momeni's attorney made.

By the way, Momeni's case was not complicated in the way you describe. It was pretty straightforward. No fake passports or criminal activity. Just a VWP overstay (from Germany, no less) trying to adjust status based on marriage to a US citizen. The court's specific comments in the Momeni case were:

If a Visa Waiver Program entrant does not leave when the 90 days expires, life in the United States goes on.   It may go on for many years before the alien comes to the government's attention.   There are legal means by which aliens may marry United States citizens, obtain visas, and obtain adjustment of status, but overstaying the 90 days for tourists in the Visa Waiver Program is not among them.

We agree with the Tenth Circuit in Schmitt v. Maurer, that to allow an adjustment of status petition after the 90 days has expired would create an avoidable conflict between the adjustment of status statute and the no contest statute.

But let's assume that the OP's case was actually accepted by a court, and the OP could challenge the validity of the I-94W.

In Bayo v Chertoff, Bayo argued that the I-94W was not enforceable in his case because he did not speak English, and therefore did not understand the document he was signing. This tactic worked for him, sort of. The court remanded his case to DHS for a fact finding hearing to determine whether he knowingly waived his due process rights, as generally required by law. Unfortunately for Bayo, DHS reaffirmed the removal order, and Bayo found himself back in the 7th circuit court of appeals. In Bayo v Napolitano, Bayo reasserted (among other things) that the I-94W waiver was not enforceable because he did not speak English when he signed it. This time, the court determined that Bayo had one additional hurdle to overcome in order for his claim to be successful - he had to establish that his unknowing waiver prejudiced his case, and that the error affected the outcome. The court concluded that had Bayo understood the waiver he signed he would have had two options. If he signed it anyway, knowing full well what it said, he would have been in the same position he was already in. If he had refused to sign it, he would have been summarily removed. The court refused to review his case on that basis.

In Bradley v Attorney General, Bradley contended (among other things) that his I-94W was invalid because he was intoxicated at the time he signed it, and therefore did not knowingly waive his rights to due process. The 3rd circuit court of appeal denied his assertion for the same reason the 7th circuit court denied Bayo - Bradley could not show prejudice as a result of his unknowing waiver.

Based on these two cases, would the fact that the OP did not expressly consent to the waiver have prejudiced their case and possibly changed the outcome? No, for the same reasons it didn't prejudice the cases in either Bayo or Bradley. If the OP had expressly consented to the waiver then the OP would be in the same boat they are in now. If they had not, they would not have been admitted, and would not be applying for adjustment of status.

The I-94W states near the top of side 1 "Children under the age of fourteen must have their form signed by a parent/guardian". The signature is made on the upper portion of side 2 - the portion kept by CBP.

Yea I agree with you in most of what you said bar a couple of things. Momeni filed for adjustment after he had been arrested for overstaying the visa waiver program. Obviously for some reason he came to the attention of ICE and was taken into custody. Had he been able to file before coming to the attention of ICE the outcome may have been different. All of the cases involved people who either came into contact with ICE and tried to adjust, committed some crime that would have resulted in their deportation had they been prosecuted and/or similar. Even with the Freeman case..she was ultimately denied adjustment.

In any event when a minor is held accountable for someone else s actions it does seem that it would be prejudicial. The minor that is brought into the US under the age of 18 illegally does not accrue any unlawful presence time at all. In fact the clock only starts ticking at the age of 18...so why would similar not apply to something signed on behalf of said minor?

The minor doesn't have a choice. Even if they state that they don't wish to enter the US as a child, what about the child that enters at the age of 2 on a Visa waiver and seeks to adjust status? Im just thinking out loud here but I'm sorry I don't think its as clear cut for every case but you wont know until it is tested in the courts.

Thanks for your input.

10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin

03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

I think where you would have a problem is the USCIS already allows for children brought by their parents in that they don' technically start accruing illegal presence until they turn 18. She has remained in the US 4 years beyond her 18th birthday and is held responsible for that overstay.

Right, but would she be as culpable for the signing of the waiver being as she didn't sign it, have knowledge of it or arguably understood it.

Are we responsible for someone else signing something on our behalf?

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

Timeline

I don't have a full list, maybe Jim knows... I know a few states... what state are you in?

Im in IL

11/09/2010- Sent out I485, I-130, I-765 Applications Chicago Office11/14/2010- USCIS recieved my applications11/18/2010- Received Receipts11/29/2010- Received my biometrics appointment scheduled for 12/17/201012/17/2010- Biometrics Done01/07/2011- Interview Scheduled for Feb 7th.01/21/2011- Received Email saying EAD card production01/26/2011- Received Email again saying EAD card production01/31/2011- Received EAD Card in the Mail02/07/2011- AOS Interview - Green Card Approved!!!!02/08/2011- Received Email Card/Document Production11/30/2012- Mailed out I-75112/07/2012- Received NOA12/11/2012- Received Biometric Appointment letter

05/05/2014-NOA Letter

07/21/2014- Text/Email Placed in line for interview scheduling. very odd scheduled for interview and then placed back in line again

Timeline

No need to, i have known this since i arrived here over 15 years ago and i have wasted a lot of money on Lawyers to get the same answers. This is the same thing i am going thru right now and i know I am 1000% correct about it. I also know at least 10 to 15 people -friends- who has gone thru the same process.

CORRECTION: when i said "if you get 'caught' by immigration" i meant detained (arrested)

The answer to the second part "how can i come back if i get deported": at this point this will not happen to you unless they determine your marriage is fraudulent (fake) but in case u would like to know: the alien will be removed, given a penalty, etc, once outside the USA the husband/wife has to apply for a "pardon" based on "extreme hardship" - meaning the us citizen has to prove certain things such as emotional or economical hardship, etc- then, once that its approved - it takes about 6 to 10 months- the whole 485, 130 and 765 process starts.... This is a "rough" description of the process but it gives u a general idea, It will be at least a year to a year and a half before getting back to the states...

Thank you so much for your respones!

Have you already send out your papers to the USICS? & already recieved your u.s citizenship?

05/05/2014-NOA Letter

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Right, but would she be as culpable for the signing of the waiver being as she didn't sign it, have knowledge of it or arguably understood it.

Are we responsible for someone else signing something on our behalf?

Again, once she turns 18 she is culpable for her illegal presence, it's as simple as that. By remaining in the US he effectively assumed responsibility for her VWP overstay from that point on. She had the option of returning to Germany within 180 days of her 18th birthday without incurring a ban but she chose to remain.

So no, she's not held accountable for her overstay while a minor.

But Yes, she held accountable for her overstay as an adult.

Ignorance of the Law doesn't excuse breaking it.

Again, once she turns 18 she is culpable for her illegal presence, it's as simple as that. By remaining in the US he effectively assumed responsibility for her VWP overstay from that point on. She had the option of returning to Germany within 180 days of her 18th birthday without incurring a ban but she chose to remain.

So no, she's not held accountable for her overstay while a minor.

But Yes, she held accountable for her overstay as an adult.

Ignorance of the Law doesn't excuse breaking it.

Thanks for reiterating a point that I already knew. You don't seen to be getting my point though.

I apologize for not being clear.

Is she responsible for a waiver that was signed by her parent?

In the event that she (or another) wanted to adjust and UCIS said no you cant. You came on a visa waiver program and you can NOT adjust because you signed your right to appeal away. In that case would it apply? She didn't sign anything. She had no knowledge of the green form and had no idea that she came on the visa waiver program. She did what a dutiful child would do and obey her parents instructions. In this case getting on a plane in one land and getting off in another. If she was to adjust and was denied. Would she "then" have a case based on not actually signing anything. It is not the same as the other cases where they signed and claimed to be intoxicated or in another language.

That is what I am wondering.

And for those women that are smuggled into the US ignorance of the law DOES excuse breaking it.

Have a great day!

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

Ugh why cant I edit my own posts? I was going to say that the unlawful presence is not the matter that Im asking about. Im asking about the signing of the waiver.

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.