His Colombianita

How long does this process usually take?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello Everyone

My fiance just send my I-212 to Atlanta on Tuesday. Does anyone know how long this process usually takes? I read the its suppost to take about 4 months but from reading at some forums it looks like it takes a while. Is there any way to get the process moving any faster?

I also heard about the Info pass you can get and go get some information. My fiance would like to get one so he can go and get information on our application but we are not sure how to start this pass. Has anybody done this before?

Any help will be appriciated

Thank you

USCIS I-129F **K-1 Visa**

05/07/10- I-129F was send to VSC

05/10/10- We got our NOA1

07/26/10- We got our NOA2. APPROVED!! :dance:

National Visa Center

07/27/10- NVC Received our I-129F Petition

07/30/10- NVC Send our Petiton to Colombia :)

Embassy Interview #1

08/06/10- Consulate Received the Petition

08/17/10- Packet 3 Received Finally!

08/25/10- Packet 3 Sent To the Embassy

09/16/10- Medical Lab Exams

10/07/10- Interview Date **Need to get an approved I-212 from USCIS**

USCIS I-212 Waiver (Atlanta)

11/01/10- File I-212

11/08/10- We got our NOA1

03/01/11- We got our APPROVED noticed from our Senator!! :dance:

National Visa Center

03/03/11- NVC Received our I-212 Waiver

03/08/11- NVC Send our Waiver to Colombia

Embassy Interview #2

03/14/11- Received Original Approval Noticed from NVC :)

04/05/11- Interview Date. APPROVEDD!!! :D

04/13/11- Visa in Hand :dance:

Enter The States In Miami, Florida

04/14/11- Enter the states Miami, Florida

06/11/11- Married!!

06/25/11- Received my SSN by mail

Adjustment of Status

10/03/11- Sent I-485 to Chicago

10/ /11- Received NOA 1

As far as I know, and I can only speak from my experience, an InfoPass appointment is the way to speak to a USCIS employee. They do not have walk-in appointments, so you would have to schedule an InfoPass appointment. I went to discuss replacing a Naturalization Certificate. I made the appointment on-line and they had a slot available in an hour and a half and I took it.

I do not know if this will be helpful to you, but look online on www.uscis.gov and read up on InfoPass appointments.

Good Luck!!!!

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hello Everyone

My fiance just send my I-212 to Atlanta on Tuesday. Does anyone know how long this process usually takes? I read the its suppost to take about 4 months but from reading at some forums it looks like it takes a while. Is there any way to get the process moving any faster?

I also heard about the Info pass you can get and go get some information. My fiance would like to get one so he can go and get information on our application but we are not sure how to start this pass. Has anybody done this before?

Any help will be appriciated

Thank you

I have seen mixed results on I212 when it is not filed with a Waiver Application. Some say 6 months to 12 months. Did you choose the Atlanta office because you were deported from Atlanta or you case was heard there? Do you not also need a waiver or just the I212?

If you just filed last Tuesday it is unlikely the Infopass appointment will give you any information other than a pending status.

Timeline

When i went to my visa interview the councel told me that i only needed to file form I-212 to Atlanta since thats where the deportation order took place. I was 17 when I got deported so they said i only need form I-212.

Thank you for you Info pass information. I will let my fiance know about it

National Visa Center

Embassy Interview #1

11/01/10- File I-212

National Visa Center

Embassy Interview #2

06/11/11- Married!!

Adjustment of Status

10/ /11- Received NOA 1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

The processing time on an I-212 depends on many things. One being the case load at the local USCIS where you filed the I-212. If the local office has a large caseload, your case might sit for the entire estimated processing time of twelve months.

But, there are many people (myself included) who were able to get the I-212 approved in less than 30 working days. That being said, our case was not that typical as my wife and I have an American Child that was living in Bogota with his mother during the immigration process and was suffering from health issues.

It also needs to be said that it depends allot on who you speak with at USCIS when you make your info pass. The Two supervisors and One officer that I spoke with, where very understanding of our situation and were kind enough to help us out. This was probably the main reason why our I-212 was approved so quickly.

Be a bit patient and wait at least 30 days prior to making an Info pass.

Good Luck

Timeline

Thank you Bocajr27. I will continue to wait and pray that my application wont take that long

National Visa Center

Embassy Interview #1

11/01/10- File I-212

National Visa Center

Embassy Interview #2

06/11/11- Married!!

Adjustment of Status

10/ /11- Received NOA 1

hey,

your reply gave me a lot of hope. thanks

i have to apply for a waiver too. my daughter is US citizen and her father too. she is with me from last 8 months in Canada. first i was waiting for my green card interview because we reschedule it becoz of my pregnacy due date. finally we got it on oct 19, 2010. interview went very well but she said that i need a waiver becoz i overstayed in US. we found a lawyer and we are working on our documents. please let me know if there is anything we should talk to expedite the process. thanks

o mo Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

The processing time on an I-212 depends on many things. One being the case load at the local USCIS where you filed the I-212. If the local office has a large caseload, your case might sit for the entire estimated processing time of twelve months.

But, there are many people (myself included) who were able to get the I-212 approved in less than 30 working days. That being said, our case was nowe t that typical as my wife and I have an American Child that was living in Bogota with his mother during the immigration process and was suffering from health issues.

It also needs to be said that it depends allot on who you speak with at USCIS when you make your info pass. The Two supervisors and One officer that I spoke with, where very understanding of our situation and were kind enough to help us out. This was probably the main reason why our I-212 was approved so quickly.

Good Luck

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

But, there are many people (myself included) who were able to get the I-212 approved in less than 30 working days. That being said, our case was not that typical as my wife and I have an American Child that was living in Bogota with his mother during the immigration process and was suffering from health issues.

Good Luck Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

Good Luck e

The processing tim on an I-212 depends on many things. One being the case load at the local USCIS where you filed the I-212. If the local office has a large caseload, your case might sit for the entire estimated processing time of twelve months.

Good Luck

Timeline

i have to apply for a waiver too. my daughter is US citizen and her father too. she is with me from last 8 months in Canada. first i was waiting for my green card interview because we reschedule it becoz of my pregnacy due date. finally we got it on oct 19, 2010. interview went very well but she said that i need a waiver becoz i overstayed in US. we found a lawyer and we are working on our documents. please let me know if there is anything we should talk to expedite the process. thanks

The response you got might not apply to your case. If you only overstayed but left on your own without going into proceedings, you might not need an I212 simply the I601 packet.

There does not seem to be clear criteria/process for an expedite of the I601.

USCIS Response: USCIS will expedite an I-601 in certain circumstances. A denial of a request for expedited processing does not necessarily mean the waiver will be denied. At the time a waiver request is adjudicated, even if the request for expedited processing was denied, all hardship factors that were brought forth in the application will be considered. Would USCIS consider expediting the adjudication of I-601 waivers of inadmissibility for individuals who are overseas over individuals who are in the U.S.? USCIS Response: Our aim is to adjudicate timely all waivers regardless of location. We are striving to improve processing time, but resources overseas are limited and cannot be expanded easily. We are addressing this issue by bringing some of the overseas adjudicative workload into the U.S. The recent creation of the IASB is an example of our efforts in this direction. We will, however, consider requests to expedite a case if there are compelling reasons.

I think the "problem" with getting expedite is that the I601 waiver itself is for "extreme hardship to US Citizen, so unless life or death circumstances exist for the applicant its tough to get ahead of the other cases because they are all claiming hardship. This is not to say it cannot be done , but the situation has to be very well documented and very serious.

Timeline

The response you got might not apply to your case. If you only overstayed but left on your own without going into proceedings, you might not need an I212 simply the I601 packet.

There does not seem to be clear criteria/process for an expedite of the I601.

USCIS Response: USCIS will expedite an I-601 in certain circumstances. A denial of a request for expedited processing does not necessarily mean the waiver will be denied. At the time a waiver request is adjudicated, even if the request for expedited processing was denied, all hardship factors that were brought forth in the application will be considered. Would USCIS consider expediting the adjudication of I-601 waivers of inadmissibility for individuals who are overseas over individuals who are in the U.S.? USCIS Response: Our aim is to adjudicate timely all waivers regardless of location. We are striving to improve processing time, but resources overseas are limited and cannot be expanded easily. We are addressing this issue by bringing some of the overseas adjudicative workload into the U.S. The recent creation of the IASB is an example of our efforts in this direction. We will, however, consider requests to expedite a case if there are compelling reasons.

I think the "problem" with getting expedite is that the I601 waiver itself is for "extreme hardship to US Citizen, so unless life or death circumstances exist for the applicant its tough to get ahead of the other cases because they are all claiming hardship. This is not to say it cannot be done , but the situation has to be very well documented and very serious.

Rosey;

I may be mistaken, but I believe what you need is both the I601 and the I212 waivers which (again) if I'm not mistaken should be filed together at US Embasy where you had your interview. Brokenfamily is absolutely correct when she states that the I601 is difficult to get approved. That being said, you are taking the right step by getting an attorney involved. You have to prove the the US Goverment that your Daughter would suffer EXTREME HARDSHIPS if you were not granted entry back into the U.S. It's not impossible, but it will take a good lawyer.

Good Luck

hi,

I212 is for deported people right. i didnt get deport. the immigration officer told me to file for I601 :)

Thanks

Rosey;

I may be mistaken, but I believe what you need is both the I601 and the I212 waivers which (again) if I'm not mistaken should be filed together at US Embasy where you had your interview. Brokenfamily is absolutely correct when she states that the I601 is difficult to get approved. That being said, you are taking the right step by getting an attorney involved. You have to prove the the US Goverment that your Daughter would suffer EXTREME HARDSHIPS if you were not granted entry back into the U.S. It's not impossible, but it will take a good lawyer.

Good Luck

Timeline

hi,

I212 is for deported people right. i didnt get deport. the immigration officer told me to file for I601 :)

Thanks

Rosey;

The I-212 is a permision to reenter the U.S. after being deported. Even if you were not deported (let's say you left on your own), you overstayed your time in the U.S. (hence the reason why you need to file the I-601). And let me be clear on this. The I-212 is a heck of alot easier to get approved than the I-601. And again, if the U.S. Consulate told you that you you need to file for the I-601, chances are you will have to file the I-212 at the same time. I would do extensive research if I were you and make sure you have a good attourney to file the forms.

Take a look at these links for the form and the instructions on the I-212.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-212.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-212instr.pdf

Good Luck

Timeline

Why would both I-212 and I-601 have to be filed if not deported?

There are two different posts and questions running together here. I212 is for deported or "excluded"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.