rcbolt

Getting a friend from Ukraine to the U.S>

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi, I have a friend who is wanting to come to the U.S. to visit. She will be here for less than a week and I will be flying with her from Ukraine to the U.S. and back to Ukraine. Also I will be supporting her financially and also she will be staying with me at my apartment. What I need to know is once she gets her passport, do I need to tell the U.S. embassy in Ukraine that I will be sponsoring her trip. I have been told it makes the visa application go a lot quicker and maybe less hassle. I have also herd that I need to write her country a letter saying that I wish to invite her to the U.S. and the situation of her traveling.

Please help, also if there is a better way of getting her a visa by all means please do share.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I have a friend who is wanting to come to the U.S. to visit. She will be here for less than a week and I will be flying with her from Ukraine to the U.S. and back to Ukraine. Also I will be supporting her financially and also she will be staying with me at my apartment. What I need to know is once she gets her passport, do I need to tell the U.S. embassy in Ukraine that I will be sponsoring her trip. I have been told it makes the visa application go a lot quicker and maybe less hassle. I have also herd that I need to write her country a letter saying that I wish to invite her to the U.S. and the situation of her traveling.

Please help, also if there is a better way of getting her a visa by all means please do share.

You have heard incorrectly. There is nothing a US citizen can do to make an alien's tourist visa process go faster. An alien MUST meet the eligibility requirements for the visa by themselves without the promises or assurances of someone else even a US citizen. A tourist visa is NOT a sponsorable visa.

You can write an invitation letter but it is NOT required an likely will not be given much consideration.

Chances of her success in Kyiv to receive a tourist visa is likely less than 15%

YMMV

Hi

Are you a us Citizen?

In any case she will need to file apetition for non inmigrant visa b2

Is she doesnt have enough evidences of her strong ties to her country or enough financial support you woukd add your infirmation and support with a letter of intention. If this is the case she will propably be allowed with one week visa.

You have to keep in mind that you both have to show all evidence that you have considered neccessary. But also keep in mind that sometime this is a matter of good luck

Can you provide additional information about you and you friend so we can be more accurAte about any suggestin?

Timeline

Hi

Are you a us Citizen?

In any case she will need to file apetition for non inmigrant visa b2

Is she doesnt have enough evidences of her strong ties to her country or enough financial support you woukd add your infirmation and support with a letter of intention. If this is the case she will propably be allowed with one week visa.

You have to keep in mind that you both have to show all evidence that you have considered neccessary. But also keep in mind that sometime this is a matter of good luck

Can you provide additional information about you and you friend so we can be more accurAte about any suggestin?

O.k. she is a natural born Ukrainian citizen and she has never visited another country, but financially she supports her self there but there would be no way she could afford to pay for an airplane ticket to where I live in Texas. That's where I come in to play I work for American Airlines I can get her here first class for around $400 U.S. and it comes out of my paycheck from work. Also I am a natural born U.S. citizen, ha ha no doubt about that. Also I support my self financially and I live an apartment. If I where to write a letter of intention do you have any idea what information I would need to give. Thank you so much

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I disagree that Visitor Visa's are a matter of chance in most cases.

She would need to be fortunate in this case to get a Visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

A single woman without reasons to return, coming here to visit you will never happen. You would do more harm than good by writing such a letter. It will certainly get her denied.

Save your money.

She has to qualify on her own.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The presumption by law is that she is traveling to the US with the intention of staying and never returning to the Ukraine. She is a single woman and the chances of her being approved are very slim. She needs a very good reason and proof that she will return. Unfortunately for her a very high percentage of single women abuse the tourist visa. It is at the sole discretion of the interviewing officer and he need no reason other that he does not believe she will return to deny her. It took two visits by me and a letter from my Senator to get my 57 year old mother in law with two houses, a job, investments and an elderly mother she cared for a single entry visa.

Timeline

Wow yeah the only thing she would have going for her in returning is she is a student at a university. It is unfortunate so many people abuse the laws and it's sad really for those who are honest to god just visiting. Well if there's any other suggestions my ears are all open.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

O.k. she is a natural born Ukrainian citizen and she has never visited another country, but financially she supports her self there but there would be no way she could afford to pay for an airplane ticket to where I live in Texas. That's where I come in to play I work for American Airlines I can get her here first class for around $400 U.S. and it comes out of my paycheck from work. Also I am a natural born U.S. citizen, ha ha no doubt about that. Also I support my self financially and I live an apartment. If I where to write a letter of intention do you have any idea what information I would need to give. Thank you so much

Payixbka is correct, you cannot "sponsor" a tourist visa and for a Ukrainian to get a tourist visa is very difficult. You can give her an invitation letter but that will make little if any difference. If she cannot afford to buy the plane ticket you can pretty well forget about getting the visa. The US consulate will be looking for COMPELLING reasons for her to return.

I do not know what you mean by a letter of intention" but she would need no means of support for a brief visit if she has an income in Ukraine. There is really about nothing YOU can do. SHE can file her application and present as much evidence as she has that she will return.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

If she is a student - why doesn't she try to come on a work&travel student program or something and you can help her pay any costs involved. She will definitely qualify better, and she can also make some money/she will have something to do while she gets here.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

• 3 years later...
Timeline

You are better off traveling to europe, or some country that does not have visa requirements for ukrainians (thailand, turkey, etc) to meet up with your friend. I did this last year and met a friend in Prague.

Or as mentioned, she can try for a student visa, or she can try out the work travel program (lets ukrainians come to usa to work on a temporary basis).

Edited by walfredo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This thread goes back to the last World Cup!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Can I be your friend? I would love that flight deal :)

May 7, 2014 - I-130 sent to Chicago, IL Lockbox

May 12, 2014 - Case recieved at Chicago, IL.

May 13, 2014 - Case accepted. Received LIN#. Case forwarded to USCIS, Nebraska. i-797 hard copy received shortly after.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.