antda

Where/How to get a document notarized/witnessed in Canada..

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how I would get a handwritten document/agreement witnessed and notarized in Canada.

This is a document between my family and my ex-family in Canada...

I know that here in the USA, that I could just go into any bank and/or town clerk office and they could just do that here with no problems. But I can't get this done here in the USA, as my ex-family is in Canada...

Therefore, I would have to get it done in Canada....And am wondering...Can it be done the same way there too?

But how do I do this in Canada? Where would I find such to get it done? How much is it (lol..I can't spend a fortune, so it would have to be a reasonable cost..within $30 or so...)..

Specifically, I would need to get this done in Toronto, Canada...

Any positive thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know in Nova Scotia, you have to go to the courthouse to get something notarized; at least, that's what I was told. A guy I worked with in the summer would have to leave work early to get a statement notarized that his daughter could leave Canada on vacation with his ex. I asked why he didn't get it done somewhere more convenient, that didn't close at 4 pm or whenever, and apparently, in NS, notaries are really only at courthouses... I think it was the municipal court house.

I don't know how much that helped, but you could try a courthouse nearby. I don't remember him mentioning a cost, so I'm not sure.

you could also google "Toronto, Canada notary" or something along those lines

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am pretty sure i got one last year at a lawyers office....downtown toronto

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

If your ex-family is in Ontario, you can either use a Lawyer or check out the yellow pages for the city you need to have it done in for Notaries, as they will advertize. It will be easy to find someone to notarize a document, just call around for price comparison.

Cheers :thumbs:

Timeline

I should have put this with my other comment, I literally walked into a random lawyers office and asked if they did it, the reception looked at the three lawyers talking and the one guy was like I'll take this one, he was funny at the end of it he said that will be 20 bucks made a joke about people how easy it was, I handed him a 20 and off I went.

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

I had a lawyer notarize a letter..just call around I had one office tell me 100$(gasp) and the guy up the street did it for 30! good luck

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Timeline

TOWN/CITY HALL will notarize anything for you for FREE.

Just make sure you call ahead.

Edited by FireKari

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I found out about that after having paid 50$ to get something notarized... But townhalls will do it or a notary, just got to shop around I guess!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your helpful replies...:):thumbs:

You all mentioned above deserve a +1 for all your comments!

I know in Nova Scotia, you have to go to the courthouse to get something notarized; at least, that's what I was told. A guy I worked with in the summer would have to leave work early to get a statement notarized that his daughter could leave Canada on vacation with his ex. I asked why he didn't get it done somewhere more convenient, that didn't close at 4 pm or whenever, and apparently, in NS, notaries are really only at courthouses... I think it was the municipal court house.

I don't know how much that helped, but you could try a courthouse nearby. I don't remember him mentioning a cost, so I'm not sure.

you could also google "Toronto, Canada notary" or something along those lines

CBM-That's what I figured was the same case in Toronto too...That it was not very convenient to do such...

Glad though, that your friend got his document notarized, regardless...

I wonder if they do the same for local courthouses in Toronto...hmmm...All I know are the 'big' courthouses there, but I'm wondering if the courthouses there will do the same thing too...

Good idea too about the googling, and using those specific search terms...I'll give that a try....

I am pretty sure i got one last year at a lawyers office....downtown toronto

Canadiandggal-Lol..There's only one problem: The exes know all the lawyers as they have worked for them, or at least have heard of them to some capacity, so there might be some sort of conflict of interest there...But then again, Toronto is a big city..So you never know..There might be a lawyer in Toronto that is 'unknown' and can be 'unbiased'....

Agreed - I had 2 get my FOIA request notarized and I had 2 get it done with a lawyer

Sweetcheeksss-Glad that you got your FIOA (what is that btw?) notarized and that you had the lawyer to help you with that.

If your ex-family is in Ontario, you can either use a Lawyer or check out the yellow pages for the city you need to have it done in for Notaries, as they will advertize. It will be easy to find someone to notarize a document, just call around for price comparison.

Cheers :thumbs:

Tbaygrrl-Good idea about the yellow pages directory...Lol..I didn't bring my Toronto phone book with me when I moved..That thing litreally weighs a ton! But maybe I can find the Toronto yellow pages version online...Or try going to a local Toronto library when I'm up in the area....I'll search under 'notaries' and see what I can find....

Lol..Here in NYS...The lawyer commercials and in the phone books are everywhere! Too bad they don't work in Canada though..

I should have put this with my other comment, I literally walked into a random lawyers office and asked if they did it, the reception looked at the three lawyers talking and the one guy was like I'll take this one, he was funny at the end of it he said that will be 20 bucks made a joke about people how easy it was, I handed him a 20 and off I went.

Canadiandggal-Interesting idea about the 'cold calling' too. Lol..It works for job/job interviews in some cases, so why can't it work for a notary? And hopefully I will find an 'unknown' lawyer this way...Btw..If you don't mind me asking, which part of T.O. were you looking for? Nearby where you used to live? That's a funny story of how you got your document notarized that way...Glad it worked out well in the end....You never know what you get in Toronto! And for $20..What a bargain!

I had a lawyer notarize a letter..just call around I had one office tell me 100$(gasp) and the guy up the street did it for 30! good luck

Shawna7-Oh my...$100...That's a lot of money! Glad though that the 'guy up your street' (btw..what type of qualifications did he have...was he a notarary or a lawyer?) did it for you for a lot less...Compared to $100...$30 is a good deal...

TOWN/CITY HALL will notarize anything for you for FREE.

Just make sure you call ahead.

FireKari-Yes, that is true here in the USA...I've gotten documents notarized for free (or for a small $1-2 fee for multiple copies) here....I don't know if it works the same way in Canada...But if it did...I'll be in luck.....

Yeah, I found out about that after having paid 50$ to get something notarized... But townhalls will do it or a notary, just got to shop around I guess!

VeroandChris-Wow, $50 is a lot too!

I agree, definitely have to shop around I guess....

I wish there was a standard rate in Canada about this though..Sigh...

Ok..So based on the above..Here is what I have to do..

-Google 'Toronto, Canada, notary'

-Look in the Toronto yellow pages under 'notary'

-'Cold call' notaries in Toronto, Canada

-Shop around for the best price....

-Use the town/hall...But call ahead first.....

Thanks again for all your help...I'll let you know how that turns out and update further...

Meanwhile, I have to finish typing the document..And hopefully I'll get to Toronto by November to get this notarized and signed...

FWIW...My son's future depends on this......So hopefully this can be signed soon....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Btw....I just did a quick search online.....:)

Found the going rate was $49....

Not that bad....Lol..Still...I wish they can do better...I guess I just have to shop around some more...

Nevertheless...It's a good start....At least I know what price range to expect..lol..

Btw...I found out too, that they do "In lieu of guarrantor" forms too...

Good to know if ever I renew my Canadian passport later on.....

(as I currently don't have one...since she passed away recently...:(...)

Ant

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your helpful replies...:):thumbs:

You all mentioned above deserve a +1 for all your comments!

CBM-That's what I figured was the same case in Toronto too...That it was not very convenient to do such...

Glad though, that your friend got his document notarized, regardless...

I wonder if they do the same for local courthouses in Toronto...hmmm...All I know are the 'big' courthouses there, but I'm wondering if the courthouses there will do the same thing too...

Good idea too about the googling, and using those specific search terms...I'll give that a try....

Canadiandggal-Lol..There's only one problem: The exes know all the lawyers as they have worked for them, or at least have heard of them to some capacity, so there might be some sort of conflict of interest there...But then again, Toronto is a big city..So you never know..There might be a lawyer in Toronto that is 'unknown' and can be 'unbiased'....

Sweetcheeksss-Glad that you got your FIOA (what is that btw?) notarized and that you had the lawyer to help you with that.

Tbaygrrl-Good idea about the yellow pages directory...Lol..I didn't bring my Toronto phone book with me when I moved..That thing litreally weighs a ton! But maybe I can find the Toronto yellow pages version online...Or try going to a local Toronto library when I'm up in the area....I'll search under 'notaries' and see what I can find....

Lol..Here in NYS...The lawyer commercials and in the phone books are everywhere! Too bad they don't work in Canada though..

Canadiandggal-Interesting idea about the 'cold calling' too. Lol..It works for job/job interviews in some cases, so why can't it work for a notary? And hopefully I will find an 'unknown' lawyer this way...Btw..If you don't mind me asking, which part of T.O. were you looking for? Nearby where you used to live? That's a funny story of how you got your document notarized that way...Glad it worked out well in the end....You never know what you get in Toronto! And for $20..What a bargain!

Shawna7-Oh my...$100...That's a lot of money! Glad though that the 'guy up your street' (btw..what type of qualifications did he have...was he a notarary or a lawyer?) did it for you for a lot less...Compared to $100...$30 is a good deal...

FireKari-Yes, that is true here in the USA...I've gotten documents notarized for free (or for a small $1-2 fee for multiple copies) here....I don't know if it works the same way in Canada...But if it did...I'll be in luck.....

VeroandChris-Wow, $50 is a lot too!

I agree, definitely have to shop around I guess....

I wish there was a standard rate in Canada about this though..Sigh...

Ok..So based on the above..Here is what I have to do..

-Google 'Toronto, Canada, notary'

-Look in the Toronto yellow pages under 'notary'

-'Cold call' notaries in Toronto, Canada

-Shop around for the best price....

-Use the town/hall...But call ahead first.....

Thanks again for all your help...I'll let you know how that turns out and update further...

Meanwhile, I have to finish typing the document..And hopefully I'll get to Toronto by November to get this notarized and signed...

FWIW...My son's future depends on this......So hopefully this can be signed soon....

Ant

hahaha I guess I should have been more specific..*the guy up the street* ... :wacko: I meant a lawyer up the street from the lawyer who quoted me $100.00 so to sum it up..it was a lawyer for $30.00

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Filed: Timeline

Btw....I just did a quick search online.....:)

Found the going rate was $49....

Not that bad....Lol..Still...I wish they can do better...I guess I just have to shop around some more...

Nevertheless...It's a good start....At least I know what price range to expect..lol..

Yes, they can do better. As FireKari says, it costs zero dollars at the town hall. ANY town hall. And that means that you can avoid all those lawyers who know your "ex family".

iagree.gif

Update...

I'm getting the document typed up...Hopefully I'll get that done by the end of the month..

And then it's now up to the exes to decide as to what they want to do here in agreeing to sign such.....

Basically...It's boils down to this with them: They sign it, or they never see us again....

I'm definitely not looking forward to doing this...Sigh....

hahaha I guess I should have been more specific..*the guy up the street* ... :wacko: I meant a lawyer up the street from the lawyer who quoted me $100.00 so to sum it up..it was a lawyer for $30.00

Shawna7-Lol....Sorry for the confusion there...

Funny though that you would have a lawyer up your street....

Nevertheless, it's a good deal that you got for $30 versus $100....:thumbs:

Ant

Yes, they can do better. As FireKari says, it costs zero dollars at the town hall. ANY town hall. And that means that you can avoid all those lawyers who know your "ex family".

Krikit-I hope this is the case..That they can do better....Zero dollars is better than any dollars at any day....

I know this is the case in the USA, as I've gotten documents notarized for free at the town hall...

But I don't know if this is the case in Canada....Hence I posted...

Regardless...I hope to find something for zero or low cost...As it is definitely not worth it to pay that much just to get something signed/witnessed....Grrr....

Ant

Thanks for all your replies...+1 to everyone!

I'll update more later and with more details...Stay tunned..

Ant

Timeline

Yeah I like the word free! :)

age.png

age.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.