enzocute

Sputum Test in St. lukes Walkthrough

173 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I got negative smear result on the evaluation after collecting sputum last june 6,2012... It made me happy somehow...

congrats. I went through the same situation last March and I know how the delay must have disappointed you.

Most probably if you have not heard from them after two months, your sputum culture is clear. Best of luck!

Filed: Timeline

Thank you so much tahoma for your response.. I haven't any call from them until my 8th weeks.. I will update y'allfor the result, my flight is on tuesday day i might be there by wedenesday instead..

wow congratulation..u give us hope :)when is ur interview? enjoy ur success

Edited by cathsy

• 2 years later...

Hello, I know it is kinda late to post here.

I just wanted to share my medical nightmare.

I did my smear collection last Oct1, 2, and 3.

Tomorrow is my pulmonary evaluation.

Getting anxious of what they are going to tell me.

Praying and hoping it turn out NEGATIVE.

I read a lot of posts here that gave me so much strength and hope.

I will update what will be my pulmonary evaluation result.

God bless us all. :)

ROC Timeline:

Date Filed: September 18, 2017  (California Service Center)

ROC Approved: November 28,2018

10yr GC Received: December 6, 2018

N-400 Naturalization Timeline: (ONLINE)

(Day 00)Date Submitted, Received, Cashed, NOA & NOA Letter posted online: January 30, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 01)Date NOA Letter was mailed: January 31, 2019

(Day 02)Date Case Status Update: February 1, 2019 (BIOMETRICS SCHEDULED NOTICE)

(Day 03)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter was mailed: February 2, 2019

(Day 05)Date NOA received in the mail: February 4, 2019 

(Day 06)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter posted online: February 5, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 10)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter received in the mail: February 9, 2019

(Day 23)Date of Biometrics: February 22, 2019 COMPLETED 

(Day 23)Date Case Status Update:  February 22, 2019 (BIOMETRICS ACTIVELY REVIEWED)

(Day 211)Date INTERVIEW Appointment letter was mailed: August 29, 2019

(Day 211)Date Case Status Update : August 29, 2019 (7 months from filing) (INTERVIEW WAS SCHEDULED)

(Day 212)Date INTERVIEW Appointment Letter posted online: August 30, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 222)Date INTERVIEW Appointment Letter received in the mail: September 7, 2019

(Day 241)Date of INTERVIEW: October 10, 2019 (8 months & 1 week from filing) (PASSED!!! )

(Day 241)Date Case Status Update: October 10, 2019 (NATURALIZATION CEREMONY WAS SCHEDULED)

(Day 241)Date OATH CEREMONY NOTICE was mailed: October 10, 2019 

(Day 243)Date OATH CEREMONY Appointment Letter posted online: October 12, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 249)Date OATH CEREMONY Appointment Letter received in the mail: October 18, 2019 

(Day 256)Date of OATH CEREMONY: October 25,2019 

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

I just like to share my experience in this medical issues, this quite long but very informative so please take time to read, I'm on K1 visa by the way

In 2002 I was treated of TB so I already knew that there will be some issues with my Xray and I also have asthma. In 2011 I went to my pulmo doctor when I had severe asthma attack and have had a chest Xray again coz I got worried that the TB I had long time ago might be active again, my doctor said that it only left some scar in my right upper lung and since I was treated already then there's nothing to worry about, I was just prescribed to take antibiotics for broncho spasm for 2 weeks due to my asthma and continue my inhalers.

My fiance knows about my medical issues so we decided to have myself tested again in other hospital while waiting for K1 visa application being processed. August 2014, I undergone 3 days sputum smear tests and turned out NEGATIVE... we did this because we want to clear our mind from possibilities of getting 6mos delay due to DOT and if ever I need to be treated again then at least I could have it soon before having visa medical (just to lessen the burden). I went back to my pulmo doctor to show him my Aug.2011 & 2014 Xray (my 2002 Xray is already gone) and requested for a medical certificate for travel abroad (k1 visa). He compared my 2011 Xray & 2014 and said that the scar in both Xrays remain stable (not enlarged nor worsened) so he issued me a medical cert. containing duration of my treatment & medicines I took and my maintenance/inhalers for asthma. He said that I will still undergo sputum tests as per St.Luke's policy due to TB scarring even if it's inactive already (please note that the medical cert. should have the doctor's license number also).

So here goes my St.Luke's experience:

Sep.18.2014 my visa medical schedule, I arrived there at 4am, the guard started giving out numbers at 5am but he let us in at 6am.

(I met other 3 ladies there and they're on spouse visa.. thankfully we remained friends on FB and still updating each other till now).

After paying at the cashier, the 4 of us were told to proceed for Xray. On my turn, I told the lab technician that I had a scar long time ago and I have my 2011 & 2014 xray to show as well as my medical cert., she asked to see my 2011 xray and she refused the Aug.2014 bcoz it's very recent what they need is older than 3mos. BUT when she checked the 2011 and saw that it's only my surname written on it, she then hand it back to me saying that they only accept a film that shows the patient's FULL NAME... (I felt really bad knowing this, I had no choice but to obey and I keep praying that somehow at some point someone would look at it. Btw to those who have long hair please don't forget to bring a ponytail to tie your hair up during xray). After Xray we were asked to proceed for Immunization Interview (I thought straight away that I could show my med.cert finally). During Immunization Interview, the doctor will ask about the diseases you’ve had, including... animal bites, STD, when was your last sexual contact, last day of period (please note to not come during your period coz you will undergo physical tests too), if pregnant, diabetic, if you’ve been hospitalized within 12mos., if you went abroad for the past 6mos and where?, if you attempted suicide, abortion, drugs, hypertension/highblood, allergic to medicines/antibiotics, vaccine scars (any scar), tattoo, smoking, drinking, activeTB, chicken pox, etc., So, I showed my chicken pox scar and told him too that I have a scar on my lungs due to TB long time ago and it was already treated while my asthma is controlled with maintenance. I showed him my med.cert and thank God that he checked it and input all my data on his computer (I feel relieved) he said that I could be vaccinated when my Xray result is out. Then again, the 4 of us were sent for blood tests (I think it’s for HIV), we got separated already for Physical tests and this includes: 1.) the nurse will get your BP and will ask when was your last day of period (it will be asked all the time) 2.) height, weight & eye test & 3.)full body check-up (undressed, make sure you don’t have your period)... again in this part you will be asked the same question in Immunization interview and you will be asked to sign in a notebook where you declare that all you’re saying in your medical history was true. The doctor will check on any lymph nodes, scars on wrist, chicken pox scar, breast lumps or any lumps, myoma or cyst in ovaries. Should they see any lump on your body... you will be advised to get an opinion with a surgeon to see if it’s benign before they could clear you out. I know this because it’s the same thing that happened to one of my friend that day but thank God coz she was told that it could only be a soft mass on her lower back, she got cleared the next day. Also make sure that you bring your immunization record should you have any because they will also ask them from you, another friend of mine was not cleared out that day because she doesn’t have her records with her, what she did was she called her doctor to fax her immunization record to St.Luke’s and as soon as they got the faxed record she was told to return next day for clearance.

So.. among the 3 friends I met that day, only one passed the medical on the same day.. while 2 of them had to return next day (they all passed medical and visa interview already)... and there’s this another story, one female patient was asked to go back to physical test because the doctors’ are doubting that she had an abortion, so that’s why... better be honest all the time.

So, let’s get back to my case... I again showed my med.cert. to the doctor in physical check up and she inputs all the data in her computer. She took a copy of my med.cert and included it in the file I am going to bring to the xray section BUT again... the nurse in Xray reception didn’t take it. She then told me that since I have abnormalities (scar) in my lungs I am subject for 3 days sputum smear with 8 weeks culture (I know this fact and I was ready myself.) I was scheduled for sputum tests in 2-weeks after the first day of my medical (Oct.7,8 & 9) – No breakfast nor any liquid taken apart from water / No lipstick... A big NO NO to even chew candies nor drink milk or anything because if they see any food particles or coloring in your sputum, you will be rescheduled for another set of sputum... AGAIN, I know this because there were 2 grandma’s that was told to return next day because one had eaten candies and the other one drank milk that morning. You can bring bottled water, keep drinking it before the sputum collection starts coz it will help loosen up the throat in coughing up sputum. On the 3rd day of my sputum test I was told to come next day for Pulmonary Evaluation. I got back on Oct.10 ... at the Pulmo Eval. Section there are two rows (A & B) I noticed that those in row B are the ones for DOT (Direct Observed Treatment) for positive TB. I was in row A for evaluation, if the sputum smear is negative it still have to get through the 8 weeks culture to be totally cleared out of active TB... but if the smear is positive, you will be advised straight away for 6mos. DOT, which means that you will be coming back/forth to St.Luke’s everyday rain or shine to take the medicines. So... my name was called in and again the pulmo doctor asks me the same things like the other doctors did and showed me my Xray results, she explained that I have a scar on the upper right lobe so I said that I was treated of TB in 2002 and it’s inactive now and then I gave her my medical certificate, she inputs everything that’s in it on her computer and then told me that my sputum smear is NEGATIVE (I feel so relieved upon hearing this) but then it still have to go through the 8 weeks culture to fully clear out TB. She asked for my 2011 Xray to compare with the current one they have and it shows stable, thank God that I take my chances to bring my xray films despite refusal of the xray technician on the first day, the doctor asked me if I have another one, I said I have Aug.2014 but she didn’t accept it coz it’s not 3mos. old yet that time. I ask her if it’s going to be a problem if I only show 1 film... she said that no worries coz she will just put a note that she has seen my 2011 (praise God!). She forwarded me to the nurse for further assistance and I was asked to give them 5 copies of my medical certificate. I was given a slip of when to call back... my sputum culture will end on Dec.04.2014 and I was told to call on Dec.09.2014 for results, I will be the one to reschedule my interview once the result is out (US Embassy made a memo that St.Luke’s will no longer reschedule interviews, it’s on the applicants’ job from now on).

Here’s the thing.. if St.Luke’s call you within the 8 weeks period it means that the culture turned out positive and you need an urgent treatment. I finished my 3rd week now and still no call. I never forget to thank God everyday for not getting a call from them. Just keep praying and hoping for the best, anyway if you’re really sick then it’s good to be treated sooner than later. Prayer + Medicine does work miracle. I suggest that even if you feel healthy or not or at least you’re in doubt of your health, go visit a doctor month/s prior to your medical tests, in case that you have to be treated whether TB or pneumonia or something else then at least you’re ready on your scheduled date for visa medical... and best to eat & drink healthy, quit smoking & stay healthy J

Please note that on Xray film, make sure that your full name is written on it.

GOD BLESS US ALL!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it okay to call on the 7th week or we need to wait on the exact date they gave us to call?

ROC Timeline:

(Day 00)Date Submitted, Received, Cashed, NOA & NOA Letter posted online: January 30, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 06)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter posted online: February 5, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 10)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter received in the mail: February 9, 2019

(Day 23)Date Case Status Update:  February 22, 2019 (BIOMETRICS ACTIVELY REVIEWED)

(Day 211)Date Case Status Update : August 29, 2019 (7 months from filing) (INTERVIEW WAS SCHEDULED)

(Day 212)Date INTERVIEW Appointment Letter posted online: August 30, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 222)Date INTERVIEW Appointment Letter received in the mail: September 7, 2019

(Day 241)Date of INTERVIEW: October 10, 2019 (8 months & 1 week from filing) (PASSED!!! )

(Day 241)Date Case Status Update: October 10, 2019 (NATURALIZATION CEREMONY WAS SCHEDULED)

(Day 243)Date OATH CEREMONY Appointment Letter posted online: October 12, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 249)Date OATH CEREMONY Appointment Letter received in the mail: October 18, 2019 

Hello :)

Today is my 7th week, No calls so from SLEC.

I'll get in touch with them next week. :)

ROC Timeline:

No call from St. Luke's is a good thing.

It is. :)

ROC Timeline:

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Got my medical clearance on Dec.10.2014, thank God that my culture result was negative and I was able to have my immunization, they don't do urine test anymore (pregnancy test) but they will always ask about your first/last day of period. My visa interview will be on Jan

08.2015... hope all goes well there too! God bless xx

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Filed: EB-4 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My visa is approved! just waiting for it to be delivered at home :)

congrats!!!! my moms result and pulmo eval is on Feb 10, she was treated too way back 2010. so I hope its negative.

MoM

July 29 --- sent i130

July 31 --- USCIS received

August 1 Priority date
Aug 11 Received NOA1

Sept 29 - NOA2

Oct 11 DS 261 Done

Oct 11 Paid AOS fee

Oct 16 PAID status for AOS Nov 1 IV Fee invoice and Pay

Nov 3 AOS and IV Package Sent

Nov 6 Scan Date

DEC 31 CASE COMPLETE

Feb 5 - Interview @ 615 am (cancelled due to sputum test)

Jan 20-21 medical

Feb 3-5 Sputum Test

April 17 interview @ US Embassy - PASSED

June 30 TOUCHDOWN NY WITH ME AND MY KIDS....

Timeline

Btw I arrived here in the US in Feb.07 I was told to report to the nearest local health dept ASAP. My fiancé called them and they told him that they will contact us as soon as they get my docs that the POE officer took from my Visa packet. I was given back the medical records from SLEC (I think) which I have to submit to the local health dept and they will conduct series of tests again.

congrats!!!! my moms result and pulmo eval is on Feb 10, she was treated too way back 2010. so I hope its negative.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.