5,848 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

how they will eliminate the backlogs under family based category....can some one clarify this...is they going to use merit based system to eliminate the backlogs under family based ?????????????????

Merit based system :-

Under one component of this merit based system the Secretary will allocate merit-based immigrant visas beginning on October 1, 2014 for employment-based visas that have been pending for three years, family-based petitions that were filed prior to enactment and have been pending for five years, long-term alien workers and other merit based immigrant workers

Same question from me also. Moreover, what will be happened with those beneficiaries who will not reach the qualifications of merit based so called system?

This reform is totally confused and not clear.

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Same question from me also. Moreover, what will be happened with those beneficiaries who will not reach the qualifications of merit based so called system?

This reform is totally confused and not clear.

thanks for reply..what abt other members......why they are not taking part in this discussion..........

Q: How does the merit-based visa work? I heard something about a point system?

A: The new system of merit-based visas has two tracks, a Senate aide explains. Both are based on merit -- but the first considers people who have been in the country for a long time. If you've been waiting in the employment backlog, family backlog or if you’ve been in the country working under a temporary status for 10 years, you'll be eligible for a green card. There’s no point system attached.

The second track is for people outside the country, and it assigns points for different factors. This includes options for high-skilled workers with college and advanced degrees as well as for low-skilled workers in the agricultural and "W" section visa programs. After the law is implemented, anyone who wants to come to the United States would go through this merit-based system, which is designed to reward the most deserving candidates.

Timeline

i think senators are committed to reduce backlogs for family based..but they didn't mentioned in the bill....how they will eliminate the current backlogs......so that is most interesting point that ......how they will clear backlogs......senator marco rubio also committed in his interview that legislation will not contain that backlog parts.........so now ????????????

Timeline

Family Reunification

• The bill prioritizes family unity and allows the immediate reunification of green card holders with their spouses and minor children. Going forward, people waiting for green cards in the family system can come to the U.S. to work and be with their families while they wait.

• The bill also quickly clears out the family backlog. This is a huge win for our communities. Right now, the wait times in some family categories are up to 23 years – not a reasonable time to wait in line. No one wants to be separated from their spouse and child for extended periods of time.

• Additionally, to help keep families together, the bill grants immigration judges expanded discretion to terminate deportation orders and other immigration proceedings to prevent hardship to the immigrant’s parent, spouse,or child.

• It also expands inadmissibility waivers, allowing people who are currently excluded from the legal immigration process to still qualify for legalization.

###

This is by Robert menendez

http://www.menendez.senate.gov/newsroom/press/menendez-bipartisan-gang-of-8-introduce-commonommon-sense-immigration-reform

Filed: Timeline

@ Jolly786, Check page two in the link below

I guess after appearing marit based category, in first 5 years of bill enactment they will use this visa numbers of merit based category to reduce backlogs of EB and FB categories that are appearing since decades. It looks like they will use the quantity of visas is allotment for merit based category to reducing the backlogs. They will not give gc to those individuals according the rule of point based system. Well this is for approved and filed petitions only till the enactment of the latest bill not after 18 months. They already mentioned for those 18 months petitions , they have to wait till FY 2022. And then within two years those individuals will be able to get GCs. This is what I understand after reading this and I got similar answer from one of immigration lawyer.

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/Politics/immigration-reform-explainer-employment-based-visas/t/story?id=18978680

Edited by ashk

Timeline

@ Jolly786, Check page two in the link below

I guess after appearing marit based category, in first 5 years of bill enactment they will use this visa numbers of merit based category to reduce backlogs of EB and FB categories that are appearing since decades. It looks like they will use the quantity of visas is allotment for merit based category to reducing the backlogs. They will not give gc to those individuals according the rule of point based system. Well this is for approved and filed petitions only till the enactment of the latest bill not after 18 months. They already mentioned for those 18 months petitions , they have to wait till FY 2022. And then within two years those individuals will be able to get GCs. This is what I understand after reading this and I got similar answer from one of immigration lawyer.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=18978680

i totally agree with you....great work......thanks very much..i also looks very logical and acceptable...:thumbs:

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

While I am still reading and reviewing the new bill, you should remember that a bill is nothing more than a proposal. The bill may not get passed, or may be amended before getting passed. You should also note that the House is going to be presenting its own version of an immigration reform bill, which may very well be different from the one presented in the Senate.

What this means is simply this: don't get worked up about the provisions of a bill until there is a settled version. Only once the bill has been fully debated and considered, and there is a "final" version, will we truly know the provisions.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/immigration-reform--1204329.html?ref=kb_serp_title_2

Timeline

While I am still reading and reviewing the new bill, you should remember that a bill is nothing more than a proposal. The bill may not get passed, or may be amended before getting passed. You should also note that the House is going to be presenting its own version of an immigration reform bill, which may very well be different from the one presented in the Senate.

What this means is simply this: don't get worked up about the provisions of a bill until there is a settled version. Only once the bill has been fully debated and considered, and there is a "final" version, will we truly know the provisions.

http://www.avvo.com/...kb_serp_title_2

see..they have only 3 weeks for amendments......so it doesn't make any big difference in family based.....

Timeline

S. 744 proposes to create two "merit-based" immigration systems. These systems will exist in parallel with the current employment and family-based systems, as amended by the bill. "Merit-based points track one" will set aside 120,000 immigrant or permanent resident visas annually (with a possible increase up to 250,000) for individuals who can demonstrate that they have sufficient points to qualify. Points will be awarded for factors such as education, achievement, employment, family in the United States, and length of residence. Half of the points-based visas will be for high-skilled workers and half will be for lesser-skilled workers. "Merit-based track two" will be a system for allocation of immigrant visas to clear out the backlog of long-pending employment-based and family-based cases filed prior to enactment.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

S. 744 proposes to create two "merit-based" immigration systems. These systems will exist in parallel with the current employment and family-based systems, as amended by the bill. "Merit-based points track one" will set aside 120,000 immigrant or permanent resident visas annually (with a possible increase up to 250,000) for individuals who can demonstrate that they have sufficient points to qualify. Points will be awarded for factors such as education, achievement, employment, family in the United States, and length of residence. Half of the points-based visas will be for high-skilled workers and half will be for lesser-skilled workers. "Merit-based track two" will be a system for allocation of immigrant visas to clear out the backlog of long-pending employment-based and family-based cases filed prior to enactment.

I send email to lawyer about backlog reduction and he replied me this

". Don't get agitated, please! These are only "trial balloons" that are being floated around to test the public's reaction and use as bargaining chips among various political factions and special interest groups.. Nothing has been passed yet, and if history is a guide the final bill, when actually passed will look very different than the various proposals currently aired in public. Hang in there!""

PD:29MAY2002

DOCUMENTARILY QUALUFIED SNICE JAN2012

WAITIN FOR VISA NUMBER

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Dont get serious Guyes because bill will go through so many amendments we dont have any idea about USA laws, how law get pass in USA and when they pass the bill . I think just see the game and wait for final bill which will vote in senate after amendments and one thing more this bill will go to house and house will merge with house bill then they will vote for final CIR.

GOOD LUCK ALL

Edited by pak2002

PD:29MAY2002

DOCUMENTARILY QUALUFIED SNICE JAN2012

WAITIN FOR VISA NUMBER

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Dont get serious Guyes because bill will go through so many amendments we dont have any idea about USA laws, how law get pass in USA and when they pass the bill . I think just see the game and wait for final bill which will vote in senate after amendments and one thing more this bill will go to house and house will merge with house bill then they will vote for final CIR.

GOOD LUCK ALL

it is not necessary.

if obama , democrats and republicans are serious , bill will pass quickly with few amendments.

Savvy Boy

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

it is not necessary.

if obama , democrats and republicans are serious , bill will pass quickly with few amendments.

You see Gun Violance is another bill which they want to pass but ultimately it was failed in senate!! So wait and see till it pass !!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.