csoul

Delay on Interview Letter due Name Change request on N-400?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello guys,

I am wondering if you guys think there is a possible delay between the Biometrics and Interview Letter because of any name change request on the N-400 (remember that for those cases a Judge need to be present in the Oath Ceremony so is not the "regular/normal" oath ceremony).

What do you think?

I am not worry yet but most of the guys in vj received their interview letters in Denver less than 30 days (the average is 25 days) after the biometrics and I did an early biometrics and still nothing of my interview letter. :unsure:

I really need to receive the interview letter ASAP because I am waiting to schedule my knee surgery and avoid to put that date on the same day of my interview or oath. Doctor is pretty busy and will be very difficult to change the date once on the system without any further delay.

Thanks.

05/25/10 - N-400 package delivered in Phoenix, AZ

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

06/16/10 - Case available online

06/17/10 - Case online showing RFE (Biometrics notice) sent on 06/16/10

06/21/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

07/08/10 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/10 - Walk in Biometrics

08/06/10 - Email / Text for for new case status: "Test and Interview"

08/09/10 - Interview Appointment letter received for 09/13/10

09/13/10 - Interview Approved!

09/13/10 - Same Day Ceremony! I am a US Citizen!

Hi,

Although this suggestion is going to be a little tough to accept, but I would go ahead and schedule your knee surgery, and if you happen to receive the interview/oath dates on the same day, then I would reschedule that. One member rescheduled the interview for a thesis defense at his university and USCIS is much better at rescheduling for naturalization than during the ROC process.

I think that in your case, yes, the name change request might pose a small delay, and the early biometrics will not really affect when you receive your interview letter.

good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

Thank for your answer v333k

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

I suggest giving the mis-information line a call. It's been a month since your bio and by now you should have received something from them. Give them a call as interview is not different from any other N400 interview - only the oath will be different as it has to be administered by a judge in the court, not USCIS office.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Milimelo, your sugestion was perfect.

For those with the same delay (more than a month after the biometrics) when you call the mis-information line ;) they will prove again that they don't know anything about the process as we know.

Yesterday I call them in the morning, the girl told me "wow! but you have a request of evidence!" and I said "as you know in N-400 the request for evidence normally is the Biometrics appointment letter, the one that I already received" but she said "no, no request for evidence is not the biometrics" and I said in my mind "ok, whatever" but she told me something that I thought was good "let me open a service request to see why you didn't get the RFE letter" and I was sure that this was going to be good because that will force to touch my case and see whats going on.

Soooo! almost at 11pm (yesterday) I get the email and text saying that my case was transfered for interview to my local office!

My best friend was in the exactly same position here in Denver (we sent our applications the same day and biometrics was also the same day (walk in)) and she called after me asking for the same thing and they told her the same words about the RFE and created the service request. She called this morning telling me about her email/text!

So if you have a delay of more than a month between Biometrics and Interview letter, just call and ask about a service request then by the end of the day your case will be updated and case transfer to your local office!

Good luck!

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

• 4 years later...

I believe the topic is not active anymore since the last post was over few years ago. I am in the same situation where my status never got updated since the application received. It has been over 2 months since biometrics. I have changed the spelling of my name which is probably considered name change and I am assuming this is why it is taking that long versus other applicants for the same field office. I tried calling the customer service but they could not create an inquiry as the case is still in the processing time for that field office. Any suggestions?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I believe the topic is not active anymore since the last post was over few years ago. I am in the same situation where my status never got updated since the application received. It has been over 2 months since biometrics. I have changed the spelling of my name which is probably considered name change and I am assuming this is why it is taking that long versus other applicants for the same field office. I tried calling the customer service but they could not create an inquiry as the case is still in the processing time for that field office. Any suggestions?

Name changes are not processed before the interview. If your interview is successful, they will arrange for a judge to sign your name change form. Therefore a name change can delay your oath ceremony but not your interview.

You've been waiting two months which is not too unusual. You can call USCIS but until it's been 4 months they will probably just tell you to wait.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Name changes are not processed before the interview. If your interview is successful, they will arrange for a judge to sign your name change form. Therefore a name change can delay your oath ceremony but not your interview.

You've been waiting two months which is not too unusual. You can call USCIS but until it's been 4 months they will probably just tell you to wait.

Thank you JimmyHou for the reply. I am hoping not to have any delay after interview because of the name change as my case will be in LA office which has judicial ceremonies twice a month.

Regarding the inquiry, they told me not to contact them until the case is within the processing time which is 7 months for LA. I m not feeling too comfortable to wait until then as all the LA filers either got their interview done or schedule for one.

Is there anyway to find out whether my case got stuck in background check or at the field office?

Edited by FSI

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I drop mi second last name, I did not feel any delay for that. I hope your case will be the same, regards.

Citizenship at last.... last step in this journey?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.