frank&machie

CFO Seminar - Cebu

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Most of the posts on the CFO I've seen on VJ have been about the CFO locations in Manila. Machie attended the CFO session in Cebu this past Friday.

I thought that based on reading the CFO web site and reading VJ comments I had prepared her with everything that could possibly be required. She knew all the information needed to complete the registration form, had her passport, photo(s), the registration fee and even a letter signed by her mother stating that her family knew me and approved of our plans. Just in case, she also had copies of the front page of my passport as well as copies of NOA2 approval and NVC approval. We've been together over 2 years, so she was also prepared with all of the details about our relationship, me and even my family.

So, the nun refused to give her the guidance counseling session completion certificate. Requiring that she return with the following:

1) A letter telling "the story of our relationship"

2) A copy of my birth certificate

3) A copy of my "statement of employment". (Of course, I can speculate, but don't actually know what this is).

4) A copy of my "ITR". (Later clarified that this means page 1 of my latest filed tax return)

5) Copies of all pages in my passport showing the entry / exit stamps in the Philippines for each of my visits since we met.

First of all, since these so called "requirements" are not documented anywhere, I'm pretty irritated. I just wonder if anyone has encountered this. It seems that the nuns can simply require anything they want. I don't mind at all that they added number 1. But what the heck right do they have to see a copy of my tax return? (Note that upon being questioned, the nun indicated that my SSN can be obscured, the supposed purposed of the tax return is to "verify that I'm really single"). Why should my employment be any concern of theirs? What valid reason would there be for the CFO to request my birth certificate or entry/exit stamps from my passport?

Ugh! While I love the Philippines, I can do without some of the absurd government policies, officials and inconsistencies.

K1 Journey

May 11, 2010: I-129F sent

May 19, 2010: Received at VSC

May 25, 2010: Check cashed

May 25, 2010: NOA1 (date on the notice)

May 31, 2010: touched (on Memorial Day?)

Jun 01, 2010: Received NOA1 paper copy (never received email)

Jun 25, 2010: Received NOA2 email (wow, VSC much faster than we expected!!!)

Jun 28, 2010: NVC received (estimated)

Jun 30, 2010: NVC sent to MNL

Jul 02, 2010: Received MNL number (phone call to NVC)

Jul 02, 2010: Received NOA2 paper copy

Jul 16 - 19 2010, Medical exam - Passed!

Aug 17, 2010: Interview - Passed!

Sep 01, 2010: Travel to US

Sep 01, 2010: POE SFO

Nov 27, 2010: Wedding

Nov 29, 2010: Start AOS

Timeline

Most of the posts on the CFO I've seen on VJ have been about the CFO locations in Manila. Machie attended the CFO session in Cebu this past Friday.

I thought that based on reading the CFO web site and reading VJ comments I had prepared her with everything that could possibly be required. She knew all the information needed to complete the registration form, had her passport, photo(s), the registration fee and even a letter signed by her mother stating that her family knew me and approved of our plans. Just in case, she also had copies of the front page of my passport as well as copies of NOA2 approval and NVC approval. We've been together over 2 years, so she was also prepared with all of the details about our relationship, me and even my family.

So, the nun refused to give her the guidance counseling session completion certificate. Requiring that she return with the following:

3) A copy of my "statement of employment". (Of course, I can speculate, but don't actually know what this is).

4) A copy of my "ITR". (Later clarified that this means page 1 of my latest filed tax return)

5) Copies of all pages in my passport showing the entry / exit stamps in the Philippines for each of my visits since we met.

First of all, since these so called "requirements" are not documented anywhere, I'm pretty irritated. I just wonder if anyone has encountered this. It seems that the nuns can simply require anything they want. I don't mind at all that they added number 1. But what the heck right do they have to see a copy of my tax return? (Note that upon being questioned, the nun indicated that my SSN can be obscured, the supposed purposed of the tax return is to "verify that I'm really single"). Why should my employment be any concern of theirs? What valid reason would there be for the CFO to request my birth certificate or entry/exit stamps from my passport?

Ugh! While I love the Philippines, I can do without some of the absurd government policies, officials and inconsistencies.

Wow.......I know these are nuns and all but your tax info with social??? This is also the Philippines....

My advice is no, heck no. Tell her to smile, thank the nuns and take the seminar in Manila. They will ask for parental advise/consent if she is under 23 or so. My wife says the seminar is no big deal there.

Wow...thats kind of scary...Our plans were to do CFO in Cebu also since Jean lives there.

Anyone know if its possible to do CFO in Manila, while she's waiting between medical and interview, and when she gets her visa in Cebu, go to the Cebu office for the sticker?

She can do the CFO seminar in Manila.

She does not need an appointment.

It can take a few hours to complete.

I do not know if she can receive the CFO stamp in Cebu but as she will be flying out of Manila anyway......

I am sure the nun thinks she is doing what is best but.......wow!!! that is interesting then...

Edited by garysworld

Timeline

I also took my CFO in cebu last week. but they didn't require those documents you stated.

Did your fiancee already passed the interview? If not, then they might require those things for her to submit the following documents because it's also required in submitting at the embassy during the interview.

the best thing to do is submit the following requirements that they want. you may fax it to avoid expensive shipment. then your problems are solved. :thumbs:

My experience with getting my marriage license is that any requirements you see are merely guidelines. Find out from the source what they want ahead of time.

Edited by Atencio

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

with all the CFO threads I have read here,Its the first time i have read something like this. If you don't wanna give some of the documents they require you might just want your Fiancee take her CFO seminar in Manila. Best of Luck to the rest of your journey..Hope everything goes well. :yes:

K1 JOURNEY

September 14, 2009 – NOA 1

December 17, 2009 – NOA 2(APPROVAL NOTICE)

January 6,2010 – NVC ASKING FOR ADDITIONAL REVIEW,RETURNED OUR PETITION TO USCIS

March 3, 2010 – REOPENED AND RECONSIDERED

MARCH 8, 2010 – RFE

APRIL 3, 2010 – REAFFIRMED(APPROVED)

APRIL 12, 2010 – CALLED NVC, CASE NO.ASSIGNED

APRIL 30, 2010 - CALLED NVC AGAIN, THEY SAID OUR PAPERS ARE STILL IN USCIS:(

JUNE 18, 2010 - FINALLY, NVC SENT OUR PAPERS TO MANILA

JUNE 25, 2010 - EMBASSY HAVE THE ELECTRONIC COPY

JULY 6 and 7 2010 - MEDICAL(PASSED^_^)

JULY 12, 2010 - INTERVIEW (PASSED)THANK YOU GOD!!!

JULY 21, 2009 - POE(SAN FRANCISCO,WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY:))

CRBA JOURNEY(out of WEDLOCK)

JANUARY 17, 2009 – called FEDEX, ordered packet!

MARCH 15, 2009 – CALLED FEDEX FOR PICK UP

MARCH 17, 2009 – RECEIVED A CALL FROM EMBASSY FOR OUR DAUGHTER’S APPERANCE.MAR. 30:)

MARCH 30, 2009 – CRBA APPROVED WITHOUT DNA,TO GOD BE THE GLORY:)

APRIL 14, 2009 – CRBA CERTIFICATE AND US PASSPORT RECEIVED(YAY!!!)

AOS

DECEMBER 7, 2010 – sent AOS docs via USPS Express mail to USCIS Chicago Lockbox

DECEMBER 8, 2010 – package was delivered to USCIS, signed by R. Mercado

DECEMBER 15, 2010 – cheque cashed

DECEMBER 17, 2010 - received NOA 1 for I-765, I-485 in the mail dated DEC. 14

DECEMBER 23, 2010 - received biometrics appointment(JAN 14,2010)dated DEC 17.

I FOUND MY DESTINY,MY SOUL MATE,MY BETTER HALF!

Timeline

I also took my CFO in cebu last week. but they didn't require those documents you stated.

Did your fiancee already passed the interview? If not, then they might require those things for her to submit the following documents because it's also required in submitting at the embassy during the interview.

the best thing to do is submit the following requirements that they want. you may fax it to avoid expensive shipment. then your problems are solved. :thumbs:

Nah, she was trying to do the CFO seminar first just to get it out of the way. She'll do the medical in Manila next week and the interview (date to be set) probably in early to mid-August.

Machie did the CFO seminar with 2 friends who are both also engaged to American guys. Each of the 3 was asked for different things. So, partly my post was a warning about the inconsistency in requirements in Cebu.

I know most of those documents (like tax return, verification of employment and birth certificate) are requirements for the visa and for the visa interview. I just don't see what they have to do with the mission and purpose of the CFO seminar. It really irritates me when someone in the Philippines is given a little power and (even if she's a nun) let's it get to her head and starts making up her own rules and "requirements".

K1 Journey

Timeline

My experience with getting my marriage license is that any requirements you see are merely guidelines. Find out from the source what they want ahead of time.

Thanks Atencio, agree with you. That's why we called the CFO office to verify the seminar times as posted on their website (since there is no knowing if the times are accurate or were changed months ago and just never updated) and to confirm the specific documents that Machie should bring. Those I cited in my OP are not listed and were not mentioned when we called. Seems they are not official requirements but the nun just decided to make up some stuff she wanted to see.

K1 Journey

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

HI there. I just attended the CFO seminar here in Cebu yesterday and was granted a certificate and the sticker right away. Yes, the nuns are really strict but its for the own good of your fiancee. I really look up to the nun who interviewed me yesterday because I learned a lot of insights from her. As long as your fiancee is very fluent in English, and can tell a story about your relationship then she will not be asking a lot of things from you. They are looking for a genuine relationship. They are not only nuns but psychologist as well. They will really look from all angles even on the filling out of forms, the way your fiancee talks, the way your fiancee dress up. There are some girls yesterday who were not given a certificate right away and was asked to go back. How will you tell if the relationship is genuine if you cant fill out all those information asked on the form about your fiancee? :-)

:wow: I guess Cebu is not the place to take the CFO seminar! Sheesh...

Chinook took the CFO at PRISM in Manila after her medical. She said that some of the women there did not have all of the documents asked of them. However, they were allowed to take the seminar anyway. PRISM did not ask anyone for extensive documentation like they did in Cebu.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

:wow: I guess Cebu is not the place to take the CFO seminar! Sheesh...

Chinook took the CFO at PRISM in Manila after her medical. She said that some of the women there did not have all of the documents asked of them. However, they were allowed to take the seminar anyway. PRISM did not ask anyone for extensive documentation like they did in Cebu.

oh oh!! i'm actually planning to do the seminar in Cebu.. just passed my interview...

should i be worried about this? coz we've already given the affidavit of support to the embassy... but if they do ask for that.. i am going to complain.

IR-5 Petition Parent (this is going to be a long journey)

02.12.2018 - I130 form sent (via USPS) 

02.21.2018 - I130 form delivered (via USPS) mail shipment delayed delivery

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

02.24.2018 - Text Notification received 

03.05.2018 - NOA1 Received

10.05.2018 - NOA2 Received (NOA date 10.02.2018) -- Petition approved.  Petition sent to NVC in Portsmouth, NH  

oh oh!! i'm actually planning to do the seminar in Cebu.. just passed my interview...

should i be worried about this? coz we've already given the affidavit of support to the embassy... but if they do ask for that.. i am going to complain.

I hope you have a copy of your I-134 affidavit of support...and a copy of everything else too. The case workers at the Embassy lose papers. They lost our papers. :bonk: That's why it's a good idea to have backup copies of everything.

Why not complete your CFO seminar in Manila since you will be there for your interview anyway? You will also be in Manila before you fly to the U.S. and you could do it at that time.

The Cebu CFO seems to have some serious document requirements for some people. You can complain to them all you want, but they may still require all of the documents. It doesn't seem worth it to risk taking the Cebu CFO.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I hope you have a copy of your I-134 affidavit of support...and a copy of everything else too. The case workers at the Embassy lose papers. They lost our papers. :bonk: That's why it's a good idea to have backup copies of everything.

Why not complete your CFO seminar in Manila since you will be there for your interview anyway? You will also be in Manila before you fly to the U.S. and you could do it at that time.

The Cebu CFO seems to have some serious document requirements for some people. You can complain to them all you want, but they may still require all of the documents. It doesn't seem worth it to risk taking the Cebu CFO.

oh no.. :) i'm done with my interview already.. i got approved. u see i'm here in davao.. down down south! :)

this is what we were planning to do... when we go to manila we would rather stay in the airport and wait for our flight out of the philippines.. it's better to fly to cebu with a backpack.. come back here (in davao). then go to manila with all of my stuff.

coz if i go to manila.. it would be impractical to come back here... or to stay a night in manila with all our stuff. hate the taxi rides in manila.. so we'd rather go thru with it in cebu.. the plane tickets are cheaper.. i feel safer in cebu than in manila... don't get me wrong i grew up in quezon city.. but all the offices that you have to go thru for the whole visa application was in ermita. not my kind of neighborhood! :blink:

our old apartment is in qc. so it would be too far and too inconvenient for me to go to the PRISM office and the CFO office.. then after all that... have to go to the airport again with all my stuff... might take my chances in cebu.

have stayed in cebu for 2 weeks before.. hated the graffitis in the area.. but so far it was ok... people were helpful.. not like in Manila... you can only count with your 2 hands the nice people who live in Manila (making it clear NOT IN METRO MANILA -- JUST MANILA ITSELF). i'll write something about my experience in cebu.. so that we can have more reviews about the cfo in cebu.. :) thanks tahoma!! :)

IR-5 Petition Parent (this is going to be a long journey)

02.12.2018 - I130 form sent (via USPS) 

02.21.2018 - I130 form delivered (via USPS) mail shipment delayed delivery

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

02.24.2018 - Text Notification received 

03.05.2018 - NOA1 Received

10.05.2018 - NOA2 Received (NOA date 10.02.2018) -- Petition approved.  Petition sent to NVC in Portsmouth, NH  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

PRISM and CFO in Manila require less documents than the Cebu branch. I finally went to CFO this morning and it was hassle free. good.gif

K-1 TIMELINE

2-12-10: I-129F arrived at CSC

2-16-10: NOA1 issued

2-20-10: NOA1 hard copy received

4-5-10: NOA2 issued

4-9-10: NOA2 hard copy received

4-26-10: Embassy sent Toni a letter

6-9 & 11-10: Medical at SLMEC - PASSED!

7-1-10: Interview - BLUE

7-6-10: Submitted additional evidence of current sustained income (paychecks)

7-13-10: Visa Approved! (FINALLY!!!)

7-19-10: Visa Issued!

7-21-10: VISA IN HAND! (Thank God! The wait is finally over.)

8-26-10: POE: LAX

10-29-10 Wedding

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

4-1-11: AOS Package arrived at Chicago Lockbox

5-2-11: NOA issued for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: NOA hard copy received for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: Biometrics appointment letter received

5-20-11: AOS Package was transferred to CSC

5-26-11: Biometrics appointment

5-26-11: EAD approved (that was faaaaaaasst!)

10-3-11: AOS finally approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.