Maleman

Failed Medical - sputum exam

29 posts in this topic

Help!!!

I am a bit devastated tonight! My fiancée failed her medical. One of the tests she took discovered a “possible spot” on her left back that could be turberluloisis. They are now saying that she will have to return to the clinic on July 13, 14, and 15 of July, to take a “sputum exam.” I’m not clear on this, but my fiancée said this could take two months to get the results back as to whether the outcome will be negative or positive for TB. On the other hand, I have read that sometimes they can have a negative on the “sputum exam” and allow them to clear the medical. So, what can we do? The question is can we send her to a private clinic and get the results back quicker, and then report such to St. Lukes? What is really astonishing is that my fiancée went through a complete physical a couple of weeks ago, before leaving her employment in which she had taken X-rays. The physician never indicated any such spots. Please advise, because I’m completely lost!

Thanks,

Maleman

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Help!!!

I am a bit devastated tonight! My fiancée failed her medical. One of the tests she took discovered a “possible spot” on her left back that could be turberluloisis. They are now saying that she will have to return to the clinic on July 13, 14, and 15 of July, to take a “sputum exam.” I’m not clear on this, but my fiancée said this could take two months to get the results back as to whether the outcome will be negative or positive for TB. On the other hand, I have read that sometimes they can have a negative on the “sputum exam” and allow them to clear the medical. So, what can we do? The question is can we send her to a private clinic and get the results back quicker, and then report such to St. Lukes? What is really astonishing is that my fiancée went through a complete physical a couple of weeks ago, before leaving her employment in which she had taken X-rays. The physician never indicated any such spots. Please advise, because I’m completely lost!

Thanks,

Maleman

hello maleman, st luke's is the only clinic accredited by USEM, just pray that the sputum test will be negative :) good luck and hope things will get better

Thanks so very much for your reply. Can you tell me how long it will take before they know the results are negative or positive?

Thanks again,

Male man

Help!!!

Thanks,

Maleman

My wife just got done going through the sputum test. It takes three days. She has to go to the clinic every morning to give a sample. It's not painful, they just make you cough so they can get the sample for culture. Tell her to get some cough drops because she will have a minor soar throat the first day. Two days after the sputum test she has to return for the first results (will confirm if she has TB or not)and doctors recommendations. They will culture the sample for the next two months to confirm she does not have TB. If the sample test positive for TB then the treatment takes 7 months. She would have to live in Manila for the 7 months because, St. Luke's has to dispense the drugs daily. Lets not hope for that. Yeah two month delay, it sucks but what can we do but be patient. Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thank you so very much for your reply. This morning I can barely write a reply I am so distraught regarding this circumstance. However, the important part is I must remain strong for my fiancée. If I understand you correctly, there is a first phase of this test that will predetermine if you have TB or not, right? Nonetheless, even if the first phase shows negative, which in our case would be a tremendous blessing, do they still make you wait for the second culture phase in all cases? In other words, if she shows negative on the first test will they allow her to attend the interview? Without doubt I’m looking for a miracle, meaning that she gets a negative on the first phase and then she would be allowed to go on the interview without having to wait another two months. And, God forbid a seven month treatment. Again thank you for being so very kind and informative in your reply. May God bless you and your wife.

The “Maleman”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife just got done going through the sputum test. It takes three days. She has to go to the clinic every morning to give a sample. It's not painful, they just make you cough so they can get the sample for culture. Tell her to get some cough drops because she will have a minor soar throat the first day. Two days after the sputum test she has to return for the first results (will confirm if she has TB or not)and doctors recommendations. They will culture the sample for the next two months to confirm she does not have TB. If the sample test positive for TB then the treatment takes 7 months. She would have to live in Manila for the 7 months because, St. Luke's has to dispense the drugs daily. Lets not hope for that. Yeah two month delay, it sucks but what can we do but be patient. Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Did you have to pay for the sputum test? If yes how much?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is nothing more to do but for her to undergo the sputum test and wait for 2 months for the result. If it's negative, then she will get her vaccine shots and go to her interview. I know someone who got positive and had her medication for 6 months.

Good luck.

AOS Process

2010-12-30------------Sent I-485, I-765, & I-131

2011-01-10------------Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, & AP

2011-01-18------------Biometrics letter received

2011-02-07------------Case transferred to CSC

2011-02-10------------Biometrics in Detroit

2011-02-28------------Permanent Resident Card Production Ordered

2011-03-07------------Green Card and Welcome Letter received

7zglumjya7rwu.png

Help!!!

I am a bit devastated tonight! My fiancée failed her medical.

Easy does it maleman...Your fiancée has not "failed" her medical exam. She simply hasn't passed it yet.

One of the tests she took discovered a “possible spot” on her left back that could be turberluloisis.

That "test" would be the chest x-ray. Not to worry...St. Lukes is always finding "spots", "cloudy areas", and "suspicious things" on those x-rays. It could be a bad x-ray. It could be asthma or allergies. There is less than a one-one hundredth of one percent chance that she actually has TB.

They are now saying that she will have to return to the clinic on July 13, 14, and 15 of July, to take a “sputum exam.” I’m not clear on this, but my fiancée said this could take two months to get the results back as to whether the outcome will be negative or positive for TB.

Yup...It's standard operating procedure. St. Lukes will take a sample of her sputum each day for three days. They will perform a smear test on it. The results of the smear test are fairly quick, but the smear test is not a reliable indicator for TB. That unreliability is why they also perform a two-month culture. So, you will know in two months whether she has to undergo TB treatment or not.

On the other hand, I have read that sometimes they can have a negative on the “sputum exam” and allow them to clear the medical.

Nearly all smear tests and cultures result in no TB. When her two-month culture comes back negative for TB, St. Lukes will reschedule her Embassy interview.

So, what can we do? The question is can we send her to a private clinic and get the results back quicker, and then report such to St. Lukes?

Nope...thre is no quick way. Let St. Lukes handle it. On the off chance that she actually has TB, she will be required to take a minimum six-month treatment at St. Lukes...and nowhere else.

What is really astonishing is that my fiancée went through a complete physical a couple of weeks ago, before leaving her employment in which she had taken X-rays. The physician never indicated any such spots. Please advise, because I’m completely lost!

Hey...it happens all the time. My wife's friend had her medical at the same time as my wife. St. Lukes found nothing on my wife's x-ray, but saw something blurry on her friend's x-ray. The friend had to wait two months for the results of the culture. Both my wife and her friend are Registered Nurses, and they both had clean exams and clean x-rays before they went to St. Lukes. Go figure.

Thanks,

Walang anuman. :thumbs:

Maleman

Thanks so very much for your reply. Can you tell me how long it will take before they know the results are negative or positive?

Thanks again,

You will know the results of the TB culture in about two months. If they call you much before that, it's usually bad news.

Male man

When your wife returns to St. Lukes two days after the smear test, they will tell her the results of the smear test. It is my understanding that a positive smear test does not necessarily mean that she has TB. That is why they perform the two-month culture. If the culture is positive, only then will she undergo the six-plus months of medication for TB. That is the way I understand it. I hope someone will chime in if this is wrong.

Thank you so very much for your reply. This morning I can barely write a reply I am so distraught regarding this circumstance. However, the important part is I must remain strong for my fiancée. If I understand you correctly, there is a first phase of this test that will predetermine if you have TB or not, right? Nonetheless, even if the first phase shows negative, which in our case would be a tremendous blessing, do they still make you wait for the second culture phase in all cases? In other words, if she shows negative on the first test will they allow her to attend the interview? Without doubt I’m looking for a miracle, meaning that she gets a negative on the first phase and then she would be allowed to go on the interview without having to wait another two months. And, God forbid a seven month treatment. Again thank you for being so very kind and informative in your reply. May God bless you and your wife.

It's my understanding that no matter what happens with the smear test, your fiancée will have to wait for the two-month culture before she can go to her interview. If the two-month culture is positive for TB, then she will have to wait until after treatment before she can interview.

The “Maleman”

Did you have to pay for the sputum test? If yes how much?

I don't think St Likes charges for the sputum test.

There is nothing more to do but for her to undergo the sputum test and wait for 2 months for the result. If it's negative, then she will get her vaccine shots and go to her interview.

Agreed.

Good luck.

Keep in mind: according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, less than one-one hundredth of one percent of St. Lukes chest x-rays ends up a TB case.

Help!!!

Thanks,

Maleman

St. Lukes does not charge for the Sputum Test the price is included in the initial exam. My wife (then fiancee) had to undergo the sputum smear test for 3 days back in Jan 10 which was negative, Then she had to wait 2 months for the Sputum culture. At the end of the 2 months she called for her results,They told her it was negative and to come in for the results. They quickly re-scheduled her embassy interview. Now when it is negative results this means that she does not have active TB but could still be inactive TB which does not stop them from being granted visa.

Once she was stateside in May 10 we went to the Civil Surgeon and he gave her the TB skin test which was positive reading. She had more chest x-rays which this time showed no scarring or blemishes,We then had to go to the Health unit and see TB Doctor, He reviewed her x-rays we just took and looked at her x-rays from St.Luke's and another set of x-rays she had taken the year prior. She was placed on TB meds for 6 months for possibly having inactive TB. No problem though as it is not contagious and is just for making sure it does not become active.

Hope this information helps you!!

St. Lukes does not charge for the Sputum Test the price is included in the initial exam. My wife (then fiancee) had to undergo the sputum smear test for 3 days back in Jan 10 which was negative, Then she had to wait 2 months for the Sputum culture. At the end of the 2 months she called for her results,They told her it was negative and to come in for the results. They quickly re-scheduled her embassy interview. Now when it is negative results this means that she does not have active TB but could still be inactive TB which does not stop them from being granted visa.

Once she was stateside in May 10 we went to the Civil Surgeon and he gave her the TB skin test which was positive reading. She had more chest x-rays which this time showed no scarring or blemishes,We then had to go to the Health unit and see TB Doctor, He reviewed her x-rays we just took and looked at her x-rays from St.Luke's and another set of x-rays she had taken the year prior. She was placed on TB meds for 6 months for possibly having inactive TB. No problem though as it is not contagious and is just for making sure it does not become active.

Hope this information helps you!!

Did St. Lukes inform your then-fiancée of the results of her smear test? If so, how long after the three-day sputum collection did they tell her? Were her smear test results negative?

About the skin test...it is my understanding that many Filipinos will have a positive TB skin test because of the BCG vaccine they received. That is why the skin test is so unreliable for them.

Did St. Lukes inform your then-fiancée of the results of her smear test? If so, how long after the three-day sputum collection did they tell her? Were her smear test results negative?

About the skin test...it is my understanding that many Filipinos will have a positive TB skin test because of the BCG vaccine they received. That is why the skin test is so unreliable for them.

She found out the results on the 3rd day for the sputum smear test. You are correct about the TB skin test being positive because of the BGC vacine, the civil surgeon and health unit each stated that it was like a 99.5% chance the TB skin test would be positive result. Because of this being positive reading another chest x-ray was required. I had forgot to add that while at the health unit they also did TB blood work because if the positive result on the TB skin test. Evidently they feel she has inactive TB as she was placed on meds for 6 months. She was given a letter from the health unit for Immigrations stating that she has no active TB and is cleared. Does not state any where on it concerning inactive TB or the meds she is taking.

She found out the results on the 3rd day for the sputum smear test. You are correct about the TB skin test being positive because of the BGC vacine, the civil surgeon and health unit each stated that it was like a 99.5% chance the TB skin test would be positive result. Because of this being positive reading another chest x-ray was required. I had forgot to add that while at the health unit they also did TB blood work because if the positive result on the TB skin test. Evidently they feel she has inactive TB as she was placed on meds for 6 months. She was given a letter from the health unit for Immigrations stating that she has no active TB and is cleared. Does not state any where on it concerning inactive TB or the meds she is taking.

Fogot to add that yes her 3 sputum smear test were negative but still had to wait the 2 months for the culture results.

Fogot to add that yes her 3 sputum smear test were negative but still had to wait the 2 months for the culture results.

Thanks for your reply...it's good info. I'm glad she did not have active TB.

You mentioned her blood work at St Lukes. Did you ever find out any results from it? I'm wondering what type of TB test was performed with it.

Thanks for your reply...it's good info. I'm glad she did not have active TB.

You mentioned her blood work at St Lukes. Did you ever find out any results from it? I'm wondering what type of TB test was performed with it.

Sorry if I made incorrect statement concerning the blood work. This was done at our local health unit stateside. The civil surgeon told us we would have to report there. Basically said they would probably look at her x-rays and the TB skin reaction and ask few questions and then that would be it. He said it just depends. They looked at her TB skin test results and chest x-ray diagnostic papers stating that lung lobes were clear and normal. They then requested all chest x-rays and took blood work. I questioned about the blood work and I was informed it was a new type of blood work for testing TB. Anyway, They were unable to tell anything from this new type of blood test and told us we would need to come back and see the TB doctor and to bring back all or any previous x-rays we had. We did as directed and now she is on the meds. I honestly do not believe she has inactive TB, Guess you had to be there and have talked to the doctor to understand why I believe this to be so. Appears they are just giving her the medicine in case they missed something. I told them if this new type of blood test that was used to determine if she had TB was so inconclusive why did they not use the one that has been around for the last 100 yrs. Course I never did get the answer I wanted. Did no good for me to argue with the local health unit.

Anyway, I had mailed off the A.O.S before they put her on the meds,So far no RFE'S with her bio-metrics being done on July 27th. If we do get an RFE I will mail them the letter from the health unit stating no TB clean bill of health.

Sorry if I made incorrect statement concerning the blood work. This was done at our local health unit stateside. The civil surgeon told us we would have to report there. Basically said they would probably look at her x-rays and the TB skin reaction and ask few questions and then that would be it. He said it just depends. They looked at her TB skin test results and chest x-ray diagnostic papers stating that lung lobes were clear and normal. They then requested all chest x-rays and took blood work. I questioned about the blood work and I was informed it was a new type of blood work for testing TB. Anyway, They were unable to tell anything from this new type of blood test and told us we would need to come back and see the TB doctor and to bring back all or any previous x-rays we had. We did as directed and now she is on the meds. I honestly do not believe she has inactive TB, Guess you had to be there and have talked to the doctor to understand why I believe this to be so. Appears they are just giving her the medicine in case they missed something. I told them if this new type of blood test that was used to determine if she had TB was so inconclusive why did they not use the one that has been around for the last 100 yrs. Course I never did get the answer I wanted. Did no good for me to argue with the local health unit.

Anyway, I had mailed off the A.O.S before they put her on the meds,So far no RFE'S with her bio-metrics being done on July 27th. If we do get an RFE I will mail them the letter from the health unit stating no TB clean bill of health.

I think they call the blood test the "gold standard." I'm not sure if that name refers to the greater accuracy of the test, or if it's just a name. However, it is supposed to be an good way to diagnose TB. If the doctor could not tell anything from the blood test, then she likely has no TB. Also, since she went through treatment anyway, she is good to go.

As for her AOS, there have been reports by VJ members who did not even send in the Civil Surgeon's transcription (I-693?) with their AOS, and they never received an RFE. However, it's likely that none of these members were in the same medical situation as you guys are in. Good luck with your AOS.

@Future Asawa...Another question: did St. Lukes call your wife with the results of the two-month TB culture, or was she required to go there in person?

Someone asked this in the Philippines forum. It was in oldlipa's thread.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.