웃

Sharia Law Comes to Dearborn, Michigan?

137 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Christians who convert generally don't have to fear for their lives or leave their countries for fear of being killed over their conversion. Many Muslims do. That's the difference.

There's another difference that goes back to the OP. Little to no mention of what the 1st Amendment means as far as freedom of religion. The Constitution is meant to protect fundamental rights even of minorities, their religion and of unpopular views. This differs from Muslim practice of tolerance to other faiths but you there's not Muslim on this forum that can explain the difference I'm betting.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes of course the Bible teaches very good life lessons.

What are you suggesting when you posted that people back then were a lot more superstitious?

Do you believe that God had a hand in the Bible?

Errrr - I think it's pretty clear what I am suggesting - people living in the iron and bronze ages were generally more superstitious than they are today. They put faith not in rational thought or scientific tradition but in mysticism and sorcery - offering supernatural explanations of why the sun rose, how the weather and the tides worked etc.

In that context, it's not surprising that ideas arose about the physical reality of miracles - like the idea that Jesus reached into some sort of magic hat and pulled out enough bread and fishes to feed 5000 people. To me it seems more plausible that the story was metaphorical and that the same 5 loaves and 2 fish were passed hand to hand through the crowd (and noone ate them). Of course, because back then stories were passed through word of mouth - they picked up embellishments on the way (such as - that Jesus used magic to multiply food).

Short answer - no I don't believe that God wrote the Bible.

Errrr - I think it's pretty clear what I am suggesting - people living in the iron and bronze ages were generally more superstitious than they are today. They put faith not in rational thought or scientific tradition but in mysticism and sorcery - offering supernatural explanations of why the sun rose, how the weather and the tides worked etc.

Your doing it again, I was referring to the whole statement you made and the context in which it was being used... "I do think you have to look at the time in which it came into being - people were a lot more superstitious 2000 years ago than they are now. " So how does that make my comment any more invalid.

Short answer - no I don't believe that God wrote the Bible.

Considering how long we've been going back and forth on this forum why in the world did you think you had to stop with the short answer??? Like my good friend Louis said "We have all the time in the world".

Edited by _Simpson_

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I do have a problem with organized religion but that is a another topic.

Christians/Muslims believe that God/Allah had a hand in the Bible/Quran. My problem is I cant believe that and my only hope is for divine intervention or otherwise I will have to go to my grave with fingers crossed hoping that death isn't the end.

"Isn't this enough?" What are you referring too? That I have a problem?

Here is how you will determine whether or not you are an atheist or agnostic. Before you go to sleep tonight ask God to talk to you. Ask him to audibly speak to you. Tell Him you are kinda busy in life and would like to hear him speak the sooner the better.

You will wait 50 more years and will not hear a single peep!

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Here is how you will determine whether or not you are an atheist or agnostic. Before you go to sleep tonight ask God to talk to you. Ask him to audibly speak to you. Tell Him you are kinda busy in life and would like to hear him speak the sooner the better.

You will wait 50 more years and will not hear a single peep!

Ah so you assume a god doesn't exist, foolish.

Timeline

Your doing it again, I was referring to the whole statement you made and the context in which it was being used... "I do think you have to look at the time in which it came into being - people were a lot more superstitious 2000 years ago than they are now. " So how does that make my comment any more invalid.

:blink: :blink: Doing what again?

The statement I made was perfectly clear: In biblical times people were more superstitious than they are now. I don't understand the relevance of your question - what do you think I was suggesting by the statement that people living during those times were more superstitious than they are today if not to mean that people living during those times were more superstitious than they are today? :blink:

Are you being strange?

Considering how long we've been going back and forth on this forum why in the world did you think you had to stop with the short answer??? Like my good friend Louis said "We have all the time in the world".

:blink: Erm... Because the "short" answer was preceded by a couple of paragraphs illustrating my point of view...

Ah so you assume a god doesn't exist, foolish.

Why is it foolish?

Edited by Its a MADHOUSE

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I don't base it on what I think. I base it on what I read in the news and from the testimonies of those who have feared for their lives and received death threats for becoming Christians. But you can live in your rose-colored world and deny what happens on a daily basis to those who decide to no longer practice Islam or you can wake up and see what happens. And I understand that in more secular countries, one can leave Islam and not worry. But many who do leave have reason to worry. If you want, I can start posting links. It won't be pretty.

post away. The links will be as agenda driven as this thread. I am Arab Muslim, and have been for 57 years. I don't have to get my "information" from idiot websites and anti-Muslim publications. I actually lived and worked in the "Muslim world" as a human rights worker for over 20 years and saw what it's like first hand. No rose-colored glasses on me, but there are very bitter clouds over people like you who profess to "know" what it's like among Muslims from your very selective reading.

I'll put my experience as a Muslim woman married to a Christian man up against your lousy reading any day, and I'd beat you bad.

Timeline

There's another difference that goes back to the OP. Little to no mention of what the 1st Amendment means as far as freedom of religion. The Constitution is meant to protect fundamental rights even of minorities, their religion and of unpopular views. This differs from Muslim practice of tolerance to other faiths but you there's not Muslim on this forum that can explain the difference I'm betting.

Could you rephrase the question, please?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I think it's asking a lot to expect modern people to buy into the supernatural aspects of religious texts. Philosophically I agree with Christianity, but I don't believe that Jesus was immortal or that he came back to life after the crucifixion. I do think you have to look at the time in which it came into being - people were a lot more superstitious 2000 years ago than they are now.

People 200 years ago, like today, knew that dead people tend to stay dead.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

:blink: :blink: Doing what again?

The statement I made was perfectly clear: In biblical times people were more superstitious than they are now. I don't understand the relevance of your question - what do you think I was suggesting by the statement that people living during those times were more superstitious than they are today if not to mean that people living during those times were more superstitious than they are today? :blink:

Are you being strange?

:blink: Erm... Because the "short" answer was preceded by a couple of paragraphs illustrating my point of view...

Why is it foolish?

The statement you made was clear but the context in which you made it was not. I wish you could just come out and say what you mean instead of this constant pogo game you play.

I've gotta go

Edited by _Simpson_

Timeline

The statement you made was clear but the context in which you made it was not. I wish you could just come out and say what you mean instead of this constant pogo game you play.

I have gotta go

I said I agree with Christian philosophy, but I don't think that a modern audience can be expected to swallow the idea that a man rose from the dead, chemically transformed water into wine or that he pulled bread and fish out of a hat to feed 5000 people etc. etc.

I think the supernatural elements are necessary to fundamental purpose of religion and of religious faith, but I also believe that it is important to understand that this was something that was conceived during primitive times by primitive, superstitious people.

If that were not the case then why do all of the miracles described in the Bible take place in ancient, rather than modern times

What context is missing from the preceding posts that is not clear from the above?

Edited by Its a MADHOUSE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

n522311143_945738_6683.jpg

I said I agree with Christian philosophy, but I don't think that a modern audience can be expected to swallow the idea that a man rose from the dead, chemically transformed water into wine or that he pulled bread and fish out of a hat to feed 5000 people etc. etc.

I think the supernatural elements are necessary to fundamental purpose of religion and of religious faith, but I also believe that it is important to understand that this was something that was conceived during primitive times by primitive, superstitious people.

If that were not the case then why do all of the miracles described in the Bible take place in ancient, rather than modern times

What context is missing from the preceding posts that is not clear from the above?

Why don't you just flat out say whether you believe in God or not? I think that is what Simpson is trying to figure out...

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

Thats history, were in the 21st century. A lot of Islam is behind the times.

Why is history not a barameter of what people of any faith are capable of when they commit atrocities in God's name? Are we to give Christianity a pass because people today deny the destruction its adherents are even currently capable of and have done in our lifetimes? Just because nothing notable has happened to you or near you doesn't mean that there are places where Christiantity is behind the times. It's just covered less because people in this part of the world excuse it as not really Christianity while criticising other faiths as backward and evil and refusing to allow them to define their faith as part of the dialogue.

Look at all the non-Muslims here who have no real experience with Muslims or Muslim socieities who believe that stereotyping other people and places is fine as long as it's done to "those others", but not to them. They want to be able to tell Muslims what their lives are like, what their faith teaches or dismiss their opinions and experiences because they read something negative about Islam or met a Muslim who waan't nice to them. Get real. You know that it's not right because you wouldn't accept such a flimsy basis for judgement from me or anyone who isn't like yourself. When bias and prejudice comes at you, about you, it sounds ignorant, and so it does when it comes from you.