Talat

Documents needed 4 getting married in Morocco

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all,

Finally me and my sweetheart have decided to get married in Morocco and follow K3 route. I am US citizen and she is Moroccan. I have contacted an attorney and she has given me list of documents. If anyone who has gone through the process share with me as to 'sample text' and 'from where i can get these'. I will really appreciate it.

* Criminal record.

* Certificate of Nationality.

* Certificate of Residence.

* Certificate of religion (this one shall be done again before the adoul), so that you shall obtain ' A Deed of Confirmation of Islam'.

* Affidavit of nationality and marriage (issued from the cnsulate of US in Casablanca)

* Police certificate issued to foreigners (Issued in the Ministry of Justice in Rabat).

Also if someone would share his/her experiences for the whole process, i will really apprecaite it? I am excited but very much concerned about what this process is and how long will it take.

Thanks All.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi all,

Finally me and my sweetheart have decided to get married in Morocco and follow K3 route. I am US citizen and she is Moroccan. I have contacted an attorney and she has given me list of documents. If anyone who has gone through the process share with me as to 'sample text' and 'from where i can get these'. I will really appreciate it.

* Criminal record.

* Certificate of religion (this one shall be done again before the adoul), so that you shall obtain ' A Deed of Confirmation of Islam'.

* Affidavit of nationality and marriage (issued from the cnsulate of US in Casablanca)

* Police certificate issued to foreigners (Issued in the Ministry of Justice in Rabat).

Also if someone would share his/her experiences for the whole process, i will really apprecaite it? I am excited but very much concerned about what this process is and how long will it take.

Thanks All.

I recommend you search out VJ member Kiya - her K1 was sent back and eventually denied (I think), so she is now getting married in Maroc in November... I'm sure she would know the details you are seeking. PM her and ask for her help... Good luck to you both! :thumbs:

Noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Welcome to VJ, Talat, from a fellow Michigander :D

I'm assuming you're asking what do you need for the marriage in Morocco, correct?

http://casablanca.usconsulate.gov/marriage_requirements.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I have seen that link. My question is specific to how i get following documents:

* Criminal record (I am glad i don't have any... so where i go and get a letter that i don't have any).

* Police Report (How do i get this)

* Affidavit of nationality and marriage (issued from the cnsulate of US in Casablanca). A sample text this affidavit? Do i take a typewriiten statement 2 Casa Consulate or they will preapare one at their office.

* Certificate of religion... I can get it from local islamic ecnter. But is there any speific text or sample?

By the way, do you know how long the K3 is talking?

My attorney got me answers for '* Certificate of Nationality & * Certificate of Residence'. She just confirmed with the local Adoul that 'Affidavit of nationality and marriage (issued from the cnsulate of US in Casablanca)' will satify the requirement for those two documents.

Wish u best of luck.

Edited by Talat

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Welcome!

I don't know of any other American men marrying Moroccan women from here but I probably am just forgetting something.

I can't help you but I just wanted to say hi and good luck!

Sarah

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi all,

* Criminal record.

Thanks All.

I have been married now for almost 2 years, and I have forgotten the entire procedure...probably best that way. :lol:

I will tell you, it took a long time. I was there for only 2 weeks and 5 days and we almost didn't make it. We ended up getting a lawyer to help us out.

One important thing that I haven't forgotten. You need to get 3 copies of everything, and get everything stamped. I don't exactly know where to go for that, but I would assume that your fiance will know. I didn't understand a word they were saying, but I kept hearing photocopy photocopy photocopy, and I could see the look on my husband face like "again???"

Well thats all I have to say. Good luck!

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Welcome to VJ, Talat, from a fellow Michigander :D

I'm assuming you're asking what do you need for the marriage in Morocco, correct?

http://casablanca.usconsulate.gov/marriage_requirements.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I have seen that link. My question is specific to how i get following documents:

* Criminal record (I am glad i don't have any... so where i go and get a letter that i don't have any).

* Police Report (How do i get this)

* Affidavit of nationality and marriage (issued from the cnsulate of US in Casablanca). A sample text this affidavit? Do i take a typewriiten statement 2 Casa Consulate or they will preapare one at their office.

* Certificate of religion... I can get it from local islamic ecnter. But is there any speific text or sample?

By the way, do you know how long the K3 is talking?

My attorney got me answers for '* Certificate of Nationality & * Certificate of Residence'. She just confirmed with the local Adoul that 'Affidavit of nationality and marriage (issued from the cnsulate of US in Casablanca)' will satify the requirement for those two documents.

Wish u best of luck.

Hi, I recently got married in Morocco. Keep in mind that the list will change depending on where you do the marriage. I recommend doing it in Rabat -- they are more familiar with the "mixed marriage" certificate (this is what they call it). Also wear good shoes and practice the art of patience! Even when you think you have it all done someone somewhere will request something new just for the hell of it. Moroccans love stamps so be sure eveything is properly legalized and stamped. Make multiple copies of everything just in case.

First step - get the affadavit of eligibility of marriage. You do not need to type something up ahead of time, just go to the consulate with your passport and request the paper. You will swear and sign something and then it will be notarized -- you will pay about 300 dirhams for that. Yake this paper to the Ministry of Exterior for stamps.

DO NOT pay attention to what it says in the consulate website -- this is inaccurate. Only pay attention to what it says about GETTING the affadavit.

Criminal record and police record -- one and the same. This needs to come from your hometown justice center/police dept. saying you are crime-free (on official paper), then signed and notarized (remember: Moroccans LOVE stamps!)

Statement of religion -- write something out in Fench and Arabic saying you are a Muslim and have it legalized and stamped. They may ask you for more from an authority -- but this is a start.

Are you doing DCF or K-3? I recommend DCF if possible. We got the visa in exactly one month. It does mean you need to stick around Morocco for a while but it is quite fast.

Oh, you will also need a note from a doctor saying you have no contagious diseases and are fit for marriage.

You will be interrogated by police about virginity and honor and your religion. The court judge will also ask intimidating questions. Be prepared to offer bribes if you are not doing this in Casa or Rabat. If you do it in those places, your experience will be easier than ours! (we did it in Beni Mellal)

Good luck! And send me a private PM if you need any more info

Amanda

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I got married in Morocco last year. These are the documents you'd need:

1) your Birth Certificate but it must be a sealed copy from the town hall then you have to go to the county to get a certificate confirming the authenticity of the document (if you weren't born here - go to notary public and get it translated and then certified - that's what i had to do, don't know about what's before the () - copied that from a site last year.

(2) A clean police record (never been arrested) - you can even get it online for like $10 but it takes a few days. Search online for your state's site and search there about criminal records

(3) A certificate of good health - no contagious diseases, no STDs (sexually transmitted) - i did all of that just in case - test for STDs is required as far as i know

(5) Dissolution of marriages, or if never married a certified letter stating so.

(6) Paper from your job saying that you do work there and your recent pay stubbs - they looked at my paystubbs so many times, i was getting dizzy!

Do whatever you can to ensure you have all the documents.

The certificate of nationality and that you can get married you'd get in Casa for $30 - that's the first thing you'd have to get once you're in Morocco. We went to the consulate straight from the airport.

Second paper - you'd have to go to Rabat for your criminal record redone for Morocco.

And that's only the beginning.

If you're a muslim - i'm not sure how that works then. But for legal marriage that's what you need. And tonns of patience and lots of money for bribes - everybody's expecting it - it's normal there. The time frame would be 3 weeks and no day less - i tried really hard, lost my ticket back that way - everything goes very slow in Morocco! You have to remember that. I hope you know that all the offices there have a lunch break from 12 to 3 pm. Or whatever it is in the city you're going to - that slows everything down even more! But you'll get there eventually, I promise!

Good luck

PM me if you have more questions.

Met online - May 2004

Met in person - August 2004

Got married - May 2005

Filed I-130 - July 2005

Filed I-129 - August 2005

Interview - February 2006 - 221(g) - still under investigation.

Another useless interview - July 2006 - got nowhere!

August 23, 2007 - he's finally here!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

One more note. Try to find out when Ramadan is. Absolutely don't do it then unless you have a lot of extra time. All of the administrative offices closed at around 2 or 3.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Also note that non-Muslim men cannot marry in Morocco unless they state that they have converted/are Muslim.

The health certificate can be done in Morocco with your spouse. Any documents in English, need to be translated into Morocco(i.e. Eligibility to Marry, Birth certificate, police report, etc.)

Good luck,

Christine

I got married in Morocco last year. These are the documents you'd need:

1) your Birth Certificate but it must be a sealed copy from the town hall then you have to go to the county to get a certificate confirming the authenticity of the document (if you weren't born here - go to notary public and get it translated and then certified - that's what i had to do, don't know about what's before the () - copied that from a site last year.

(2) A clean police record (never been arrested) - you can even get it online for like $10 but it takes a few days. Search online for your state's site and search there about criminal records

(3) A certificate of good health - no contagious diseases, no STDs (sexually transmitted) - i did all of that just in case - test for STDs is required as far as i know

(5) Dissolution of marriages, or if never married a certified letter stating so.

(6) Paper from your job saying that you do work there and your recent pay stubbs - they looked at my paystubbs so many times, i was getting dizzy!

Do whatever you can to ensure you have all the documents.

The certificate of nationality and that you can get married you'd get in Casa for $30 - that's the first thing you'd have to get once you're in Morocco. We went to the consulate straight from the airport.

Second paper - you'd have to go to Rabat for your criminal record redone for Morocco.

And that's only the beginning.

If you're a muslim - i'm not sure how that works then. But for legal marriage that's what you need. And tonns of patience and lots of money for bribes - everybody's expecting it - it's normal there. The time frame would be 3 weeks and no day less - i tried really hard, lost my ticket back that way - everything goes very slow in Morocco! You have to remember that. I hope you know that all the offices there have a lunch break from 12 to 3 pm. Or whatever it is in the city you're going to - that slows everything down even more! But you'll get there eventually, I promise!

Good luck

PM me if you have more questions.

WBhW.jpgbunbuntdg20060306_-8_Amira%20is.png

REMOVING CONDITIONS

6/30/07 - Mailed I-751 via Priority Mail with Delivery notification

7/02/07 - Delivered to USCIS in Laguna Niguel,CA

7/07/07 - CSC returns I-751 packet because we used an older I-751 version. Mailed I-751 with latest(02/07) version via Priority Mail with delivery notification

7/09/07 - Deliverd to USCIS

7/10/07 - NOA date

7/12/07 - USCIS cashes check

7/21/07 - NOA received(GC extended for one year)

7/24/07 - Biometrics notice received

8/10/07 - Biometrics appointment in W. LA

8/28/07 - Card production ordered

8/29/07 - Approval notice received online

8/30/07 - Approval notice recieved in mail

9/04/07 - 10 yr GC received in mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

just a little note , they kept my birth certificate and divorce papers. This whole process took us 9 days but we had a fantastic lawyer and a friend who had just been through it. As far as the criminal record/police report I had a REALLY hard time getting that. I went to the local police, State Police, Justice of the peace and called everywhere I could think of to get it. I was looked at like I had 4 heads or didn't speak English. No one had any idea how to do it for me, apparently in my state it can't be done just cause I want it done. I finally called the sherriffs department an 11pm two days before I left, broke down crying and he agreed to run my driver's license and write something up on letterhead. If not for my lawyer this woud not have been acceptable. check into getting it as soon as possible so you are sure you CAN get it.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

We got married in Sale last year. They gave us a list of what we needed to have at the courthouse. You should ask your intended to pick one up there for you to go by, because, as mentioned, requirements can vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. ALSO, have her check for holidays. Nothing will happen on holidays, so try to avoid them, and nothing happens between 12 noon and 2:30 pm.

What I took:

The original results of a Colorado Bureau of Investigation fingerprint criminal background check done as a fingerprint investigation.

The original results of an FBI fingerprint criminal background check done as a fingerprint investigation.

I didn't give up the originals of those and I still have them.

Three or more original copies of my birth certificate. I ordered the "long version"; that is best for legal situations.

Three copies of entire passport.

Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry from the US Consulate in Casablanca. When you get to Casa, go there first, register that you are in the country and get this afidavit.

If you've ever been married before, obtain three or more copies of your divorce decree and make sure they give you one that is for international legal purposes. Some states have different versions. If widowed, three or more copies of the death certificate.

If you've legally changed your name, take three or more copies of your name change document.

Letter from employer/pay stubs, all with extra copies. They ddn't ask me for any, but it's good to have them.

You will have to translate all English documents into Arabic and/or French. You will need to use a certified translator, we chose from those accredited to the courts because the courts trust them.

Ask for all your originals to be signed in blue ink so they don't look like copies.

Once married, insha'allah, you will need to have your marriage document translated into English. The US government requires a certification that the translator is qualified and many don't provide this form. I made one up that I found on the USCIS site:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate. The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I typed name , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled .

Signature

Date Typed Name

Address

Foreign males seeking to marry Muslim females need a conversion certificate validated by a legitimate mosque.

Do not get married during a judges' convention. You may end up with a mean substitute judge with a bad attitude who just refuses to certify you, like we did. In that case, you may need to get an attorney. We hired one at a very reasonable cost when things got rough, and he made the way smooth, thru the police check (done in Sale) to convincing the judge that I was really eligible to remarry. We got it all done in slightly less than two weeks.

If you want to have a proven lawyer's contact in Rabat/Sale, just in case, just PM me and I'll get it for you.

Edited by szsz

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi all,

* Criminal record.

Thanks All.

* Criminal record.--> In NC I know you go to the local courthouse and request a certified copy [i think it's the clerk of court here--can't remember clearly at the moment]

* Certificate of Nationality.--> i beleive this is your birth certificate

* Certificate of Residence.--> this was my driver's licence

Hope this helps.

Mary K.

OH !!!! BTW.........make plenty of copies of your originals and translations---they have to be copied there i believe...because they have to have the offical stamps. Atif made about 8 copies of both of our records so we would have a packet ready for each step---heaven forbid they get on a computerized system and just look things up!!! :bonk:

just a little note , they kept my birth certificate and divorce papers. This whole process took us 9 days but we had a fantastic lawyer and a friend who had just been through it. As far as the criminal record/police report I had a REALLY hard time getting that. I went to the local police, State Police, Justice of the peace and called everywhere I could think of to get it. I was looked at like I had 4 heads or didn't speak English. No one had any idea how to do it for me, apparently in my state it can't be done just cause I want it done. I finally called the sherriffs department an 11pm two days before I left, broke down crying and he agreed to run my driver's license and write something up on letterhead. If not for my lawyer this woud not have been acceptable. check into getting it as soon as possible so you are sure you CAN get it.

9 days! It took us 3 weeks----they kept telling Atif "come back in the afternoon" then it was "come back tomorrow"...*hint hint* they were hoping he'd come back with money----no such luck

Mary K.

Mary (NC) Atif (Youssoufia)

NOA2 for 129F on 16 Nov 2005......NOA2 for I-130 on 28 Nov 2005

INTERVIEW DATE SCHEDULED FOR 9AM[GMT] 27 FEBRUARY 2006-Issued 221g for Validity of relationship....told being sent back to USCIS/Atif Received Visa On 10 March 2006

AOS/EAD

10 July 2006--signed I-485 and I-765

25 July 2006 recieved NOA-1 for both

18 Aug 2006 Biometrics Appt.

21 Oct 2006 EAD arrives in mail

26 Dec 2006 received aapt.->01 Feb 2007 AOS interview->CANCELLED! rescheduled 01 Aug 2007-waiting

09 Feb '07-received denial of AOS--#######??!! MTR filed--Interview-01 Aug 07

27 Sept '07-I-765 [#2] filed--14 Nov '07 Biomerics for I-765 [#2]

Take it from me....GO TO THE AOS INTERVIEW DATE ANYWAY!!!!! EVEN IF YOU GET THE SNAIL MAIL NOTICE!!!

August 2009--Permanent Resident Card arrives!!!!

We are Finished with Immigration for 10 years!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes it is different for muslim women marrying non-muslim men. It was pretty simple for me tho, being an american muslim woman marrying my husband (from morocco). The part "yall" mentioned about coming back with money...... what is it with that? Same thing here! Fortunately my husband ran into someone he knew :whistle::devil: at the police station after we had sat there from open to close for 3 days str8. So, it took us 3 days for what I think he said would have normally taken three weeks. His friend gave it to us the same day :secret: I didn't have that kind time. :clock: I had to get back to the states and back to the gig, or i wouldnt have had one to come back to. It costed us $400 just to extend the visit for the actual (F) wedding party (F) , which was sooooooooo special ^_^ !!!! There was a lot of running back and forth from one judge to the next, taxis from here to there :wacko: , and you know what??..... I'd do it aaaaaaalllll over again! :wub::wub:

(F)(L) I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!! (L)(F)

I hope you find all the answers you are looking for. Moroccans are such special people, and they have this warmness about them I have never experienced b4. I am soooooooo grateful that my husband and I were made for each other, even if we are worlds apart. God does not make mistakes, and we are learning patience here, if I have never seen it b4..............

Good luck to everybody here, and hopefully we will be posting our own approvals and poe stories soon!!!!!!

Pray with me Forrest! Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here..... Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.