Mus24

Child born abroad to mother after immigrant visa stamped

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I have been trying to look up an authentic answer to my query but keep getting different ones.

I am an LPR and my wife is abroad waiting to get her visa.Her priority date will be current next month and her paperwork from NVC has already arrived.I have paid up IV fee bill etc etc.

It looks like the baby will be born abroad a month or two after she gets the immigrant visa.

If that happens,does the baby need a petition,or visa or both?

There is some confusion,I read somewhere the baby don't need a visa and he gets it at POE.

Has anyone been through this situation?

Thanks.

I have been trying to look up an authentic answer to my query but keep getting different ones.

I am an LPR and my wife is abroad waiting to get her visa.Her priority date will be current next month and her paperwork from NVC has already arrived.I have paid up IV fee bill etc etc.

It looks like the baby will be born abroad a month or two after she gets the immigrant visa.

There is some confusion,I read somewhere the baby don't need a visa and he gets it at POE.

Thanks.

I've seen cases where LPR petitioned spouse gave birth and the LPR spouse in the meantime obtained citizenship and had to submit I-130 petition for the child (as the child isn't a US citizen). Not sure about your case though. Did you contact the embassy about this?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks.

AFAIK, baby should get derivative benefit from the parental I-130. Baby needs a visa. Visas are not issued at the POE's

YMMV

AFAIK, baby should get derivative benefit from the parental I-130. Baby needs a visa. Visas are not issued at the POE's

But consider this:

A child is permitted into the U.S. without an immigrant visa as a new immigrant in certain, limited situations. This visa exemption arises if the child is born to an accompanying parent after issuance of an immigrant visa to the parent but before the parent's initial admission to the U.S. (Essentially, the child is born abroad after the parent/s obtain their immigrant visas in their passports, but before they come into the U.S. as immigrants.)

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_cbpgui.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

But consider this:

A child is permitted into the U.S. without an immigrant visa as a new immigrant in certain, limited situations. This visa exemption arises if the child is born to an accompanying parent after issuance of an immigrant visa to the parent but before the parent's initial admission to the U.S. (Essentially, the child is born abroad after the parent/s obtain their immigrant visas in their passports, but before they come into the U.S. as immigrants.)

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_cbpgui.html

OK,in the end same result as the child will be allowed to travel. Make sure to address this with the consulate at the time of interview. The child will still need a passport and no visa will be issued at the POE

YMMV

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

i gave birth abroad and im not a US citizen... im a LPR.

1.) no need to file for a separate petition.

2.) you need to go to the US embassy in your country and they will give you a check list

of requirements. after you submit all of the paperworks, it will take 10 working days for them to

process it, you will be given 2 envelopes. (1 for the airline, 1 for your poe)

3.) YOU WILL BE OKAY AND YOUR NEWBORN WILL BE COMING OVER SAME TIME WITH YOUR WIFE...

i hope that helped you a lil bit.

pm me if you have any questions.....

------USCIS-- married since March 28, 2005 - I130 filed: july 27, 2007

NOA #1: Aug 6, 2007 NOA #2: Oct. 29, 2009 - APPROVED

--NVC--December 12, 2009 - Case# generated from NVC

December 17, 2009 - hubby received his letter from NVC[/font]

April 13, 2010 - received DS-3032 via email

April 19, 2010 - sent back DS-3032 to NVC thru DHL (did not email a copy)

April 23, 2010 - DS3032 was received per operator and reviewed, received IV and AOS bill thru mail.

April 29, 2010 - paid AOS ($70) fee bill

April 30, 2010 - paid IV fee bill ($400.00 each beneficiary)

May 01, 2010 - AOS shows "PAID" in the system, printed cover sheet.

May 05, 2010 - iv bill shows "PAID"

June 24, 2010 - sent AOS via USPS/certified and prioritized

July 14, 2010 - received RFE. nvc is requesting again for Tax Transcript 2009

Sept 14, 2010 - Mailed RFE documents via usps

Sept 22, 2010 - mailed complete DS-230 via DHL

Oct 14, 2010 - received RFE about beneficiary's police clearances

Nov. 30, 2010 - sent corrected DS-230 with correct years of residency via USPS

Dec. 21, 2010 - CASE COMPLETED!!!

April 28, 2011 - interview date was set to JUNE 28, 2011 @6:30AM

June 15, 2011 - MEDICAL EXAM and will be back fri (6/17/11) for results

June 28, 2011 - Interview

July 12, 2011 - arrived at LAX - and we'll live happily ever after!

2.) you need to go to the US embassy in your country and they will give you a check list

of requirements. after you submit all of the paperworks, it will take 10 working days for them to

3.) YOU WILL BE OKAY AND YOUR NEWBORN WILL BE COMING OVER SAME TIME WITH YOUR WIFE...

Mitch,as always your reply has solved most of the confusion.Thank you.

Did you give birth BEFORE you got the visa or after.Does it matter,when?

• 4 weeks later...

Does it matter if the baby is born BEFORE the mother gets the immigrant visa,or is it the same in both situations,that is,before or after the mother gets the visa.Technically speaking,it should not matter since the main requirement is that the mother is travelling to US with the immigrant visa and a baby in her lap for the first time :)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does it matter if the baby is born BEFORE the mother gets the immigrant visa,or is it the same in both situations,that is,before or after the mother gets the visa.Technically speaking,it should not matter since the main requirement is that the mother is travelling to US with the immigrant visa and a baby in her lap for the first time :)

i dont think it matters. but to be sure, just consult it from the US embassy where your wife will have her interview..... the only big worry here if you have to file separate petition for your baby since the mom is leaving and already has the visa ---- WHICH YOU WILL BE FINE... just tell your wife to keep all the pregnancy records.... i mean all..prenatal records, cert from the OBGYNECOLOGIST, ultrasound... etc.. and that will be a must to have that waiver for the newborn.

i would ask the consul right after he/she will approve my visa..... normally, they will tell you what to do.

------USCIS-- married since March 28, 2005 - I130 filed: july 27, 2007

NOA #1: Aug 6, 2007 NOA #2: Oct. 29, 2009 - APPROVED

--NVC--December 12, 2009 - Case# generated from NVC

December 17, 2009 - hubby received his letter from NVC[/font]

April 13, 2010 - received DS-3032 via email

April 19, 2010 - sent back DS-3032 to NVC thru DHL (did not email a copy)

April 23, 2010 - DS3032 was received per operator and reviewed, received IV and AOS bill thru mail.

April 29, 2010 - paid AOS ($70) fee bill

April 30, 2010 - paid IV fee bill ($400.00 each beneficiary)

May 01, 2010 - AOS shows "PAID" in the system, printed cover sheet.

May 05, 2010 - iv bill shows "PAID"

June 24, 2010 - sent AOS via USPS/certified and prioritized

July 14, 2010 - received RFE. nvc is requesting again for Tax Transcript 2009

Sept 14, 2010 - Mailed RFE documents via usps

Sept 22, 2010 - mailed complete DS-230 via DHL

Oct 14, 2010 - received RFE about beneficiary's police clearances

Nov. 30, 2010 - sent corrected DS-230 with correct years of residency via USPS

Dec. 21, 2010 - CASE COMPLETED!!!

April 28, 2011 - interview date was set to JUNE 28, 2011 @6:30AM

June 15, 2011 - MEDICAL EXAM and will be back fri (6/17/11) for results

June 28, 2011 - Interview

July 12, 2011 - arrived at LAX - and we'll live happily ever after!

• 1 month later...

i dont think it matters. but to be sure, just consult it from the US embassy where your wife will have her interview..... the only big worry here if you have to file separate petition for your baby since the mom is leaving and already has the visa ---- WHICH YOU WILL BE FINE... just tell your wife to keep all the pregnancy records.... i mean all..prenatal records, cert from the OBGYNECOLOGIST, ultrasound... etc.. and that will be a must to have that waiver for the newborn.

i would ask the consul right after he/she will approve my visa..... normally, they will tell you what to do.

Mitch,

There is an obscure law where a baby can draw citizenship if the grandparents were or are US citizens.In my case they are,I mean my parents(baby's grandparents)are US citizens,are alive and live here in the US.

Can our child benefit from this?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.