Obama 2012

Mandatory Alcohol Sensors In All Vehicles In The Near Future?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://cbs11tv.com/local/congressman.supports.sensors.2.1717608.html

DALLAS (CBS 11 / TXA 21) ― North Dallas resident Micah Harleaux has nothing but fond memories of his best friend who was killed in a drunken driving accident.

"Carl was an extremely funny individual, he had a biting sense of humor," Harleaux said. "He was full of life."

Carl Lotspeich was killed nearly a year ago when a drunken driver slammed into the 25-year-old's car on the Dallas Tollway. The driver, who also died, was heading the wrong way.

"There are advancements in automobiles like seat belts and air bags to protect not only the driver but also those around them," Harleaux said. "I think this would be something that would be tremendous for the safety of every individual that gets behind a wheel."

He said he fully supports an amendment to the 2010 Motor Vehicle Safety Act, which calls for $40 million over the next five years to develop alcohol detection sensors. The amendment, which was proposed by Congressman John Sarbanes (D – MD.), could potentially lead to the sensors becoming standard equipment in just five to 10 years.

The sensors would not be replicas of the interlock devices that require convicted drunken drivers to blow into a tube to start their engines.

Several devices are being tested, including skin sensors. Just by touching the steering wheel or gear shift, the vehicle could conceivably determine the driver's blood-alcohol level. Other ideas include installing sensors above the driver's head or head rest that could test perspiration and breath samples.

"What we're talking about here is Big Brother in your back seat," said Sarah Longwell, a spokeswoman with the American Beverage Institute.

The American Beverage Institute claims to represent 8,000 American restaurants. It calls the amendment unnecessary regulation from the federal government.

"There is a tremendous movement led my Mothers Against Drunk Driving and even some in the Federal Government who want to eliminate an American's ability to have a glass of wine at dinner or a beer at a ball game or even a champagne toast at a wedding and then drive home," Longwell said. "This technology is their way to do this."

The institute argues that the sensors would likely be set well below the legal limit of .08 for liability reasons. So even if a driver has just one drink, Longwell said, he or she will not be able to start their car.

Irving-based Mothers Against Drunk Drivers supports installing alcohol sensors in all vehicles.

Edited by Paul and Vanessa

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

I understand the sentiment that motivates these types of solutions, but no, I don't think that's a positive step at all.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The government is building the cars...what do you think? They will also mandate computer monitoring of mileage, we will then be taxed for each mile we drive when we report for our "annual inspections" Since they will install these devices in the cars they ("they" being the government) build, they will pass a law, (nay, did I say law?) a regulation, not requiring a vote of congress or a signature by the President, to require their competition (if you can call it competition) to do the same.

They can find a way to manipulate us to do whatever they want (or don't do whatever they don't want) as the case may be, but not ONE politician can pass a law (or even a regulation) which would enforce our labor laws and end the incentive for exploiting illegal aliens.

What will they think of next?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

The government is building the cars...what do you think? They will also mandate computer monitoring of mileage, we will then be taxed for each mile we drive when we report for our "annual inspections" Since they will install these devices in the cars they ("they" being the government) build, they will pass a law, (nay, did I say law?) a regulation, not requiring a vote of congress or a signature by the President, to require their competition (if you can call it competition) to do the same.

They can find a way to manipulate us to do whatever they want (or don't do whatever they don't want) as the case may be, but not ONE politician can pass a law (or even a regulation) which would enforce our labor laws and end the incentive for exploiting illegal aliens.

They have pills for this.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Interestingly enough, need I mention AUS has a much lower road toll (per capita) due to proactive government laws and enforcement against drink driving; with measures such as random breathalyzer checks and road blocks at night, 0.049 alcohol, huge fines and loss of license for over a year etc.

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Interestingly enough, need I mention AUS has a much lower road toll (per capita) due to proactive government laws and enforcement against drink driving; with measures such as random breathalyzer checks and road blocks at night, 0.049 alcohol, huge fines and loss of license for over a year etc.

No, you needn't. Thanks anyways, Mr. Farley, but I think we all know how badass AUS is by now.

Seriously though, the answer to this problem is indeed, in my opinion, tough enforcement. 1st DUI: ok, you're an idiot, and you're going to pay, but you'll live. 2nd DUI: 10 yrs in prison. 3rd DUI: life. The state I live in treats DUIs like parking violations. That has to change.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I enjoy driving drunk.

Well, not to worry. Driving drunk doesn't kill you, it's that sudden stop at the end of your fateful journey that's a real ######.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)