Devoted59

Taiwan Police Certificate

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance worked for six years in Taiwan. How does she get a police certificate there and how long will it take to get one ? She says she has heard that it is near imposible to get one antd that you have to go there to get one or have someone pick it up there ? Is it really needed ?

Thank You

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Police Records

Taiwan issues police certificates, although the information is not always comprehensive. Also, legislation is pending in Taiwan that will cause criminal convictions resulting in a penalty of a fine, probation, a suspended sentence, or a sentence of less than two years be deleted from a person's criminal record. Crimes committed by juveniles are not part of the criminal record. Therefore, under the new legislation, a police clearance certificate will not show these convictions. Crimes relevant to visa issuance may be included in those that may not be shown on a person's police clearance certificate. Conversely, convictions, once part of a person's record, remains in the person's record indefinitely. The information reported by the police on police clearance certificates is reliable, but applicants have been able to exclude relevant convictions by specifying specific dates for which the check is to be performed. Information recorded in police clearance certificates comes from a national database of criminal convictions that is updated weekly. If posts suspect that a Taiwan visa applicant is concealing a criminal conviction despite presentation of a clean police clearance certificate, posts should send a completed DS-156 with a photocopy of the bio page of the applicant's passport to the Fraud Prevention Unit at AIT.

Taiwan does not use a standard system for romanizing names, resulting in a wide range of name spellings. However, every Taiwan citizen is assigned a unique national identification number that never changes. Whenever possible, queries should include a person's national identification number. Applicants with Taiwan passports should apply for a police certificate from the police headquarters having jurisdiction over the county or city in which the applicant's household is registered, as recorded in the Household Registration certificate. A third party can assist in this application. Previous residents of Taiwan not holding a Taiwan passport may apply for a police certificate by writing to:

Foreign Affairs Division

Taipei Municipal Police Department

No. 96, Yen Ping South Road

Taipei, Taiwan

Applicants should enclose a completed application form (available from Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Offices (TECRO) or Republic of China Embassies). There is a processing fee of US$11.00). No police certificate is available for previous residents of Taiwan who were dependents of U.S. military personnel and covered by the Status of Forces Agreement or persons living in Taiwan prior to August 1945."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_3684.html

moving to consulate forum

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

My fiance worked for six years in Taiwan. How does she get a police certificate there and how long will it take to get one ? She says she has heard that it is near imposible to get one antd that you have to go there to get one or have someone pick it up there ? Is it really needed ?

Thank You

Hi, I worked in Taiwan for 2 years, year 2005-2007. I got my police clearance in Tainan county before i go back to Philippines. They will give you the police certificate the day you requested it. Just bring your ARC and passport.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you Mag. My fiance did the same and got one befor she left Taiwan but we understand that they are only valid for 6 months ?

for consulate purposes, PC's are valid for up to one year

YMMV

I think her Taiwan Police Clearance still valid ( but I'm not really sure) since she got that before she left Taiwan or the day before she finished her contract in Taiwan. It means she have no conviction records during her stay in Taiwan. She will get another police clearance in her current country where she live now. I'm not really sure but maybe some members here in VJ have an idea.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.