Chimmy

Legal age to get married in Vn

27 posts in this topic

Not trying to compund the confusion any more than it is but I recently read that in accordance with Vietnamese law, in addition to the legal age for marriage for a female being 18, that the legal age for the male is required to be 20.

Don't know for sure if the source was accurate but I just thought I'd mention it.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Whats up my VJ buddies...?

I got a wierd question for you guys...So my brother recently got engage to this girl in Vn. They are planning a wedding this summer. She is twenty years old, however her birth certifcate say she will be 18 in Nov this year. ...so she is technically under 18..

She said her mom for..whatever reason changed her birthcerifcate to make her younger..( i have no idea why?")

They said they went to ask..someone.. (I have no idea who)...but they were told that as long as she was technically turing 18 this year...it will be ok. Aparently, the go by Year...not month and day..?

I have a wierd feeling about this...what do you guys think?

Thanks, Chimmy

Just like how she changed her birth certificate to make her younger, she can pay those same people to overlook her age and grant them the marriage.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Not trying to compund the confusion any more than it is but I recently read that in accordance with Vietnamese law, in addition to the legal age for marriage for a female being 18, that the legal age for the male is required to be 20.

Don't know for sure if the source was accurate but I just thought I'd mention it.

You may have read the same article that I did. I can't find it now, though I did find this one. Let me make it clear that I'm not saying anything like this is going on with the O/P's buddy.

http://english.vovnews.vn/Home/Early-marriages-put-stress-on-ethnic-families/20103/113645.vov

Edited by Mr. Saigon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Whats up my VJ buddies...?

I got a wierd question for you guys...So my brother recently got engage to this girl in Vn. They are planning a wedding this summer. She is twenty years old, however her birth certifcate say she will be 18 in Nov this year. ...so she is technically under 18..

She said her mom for..whatever reason changed her birthcerifcate to make her younger..( i have no idea why?")

They said they went to ask..someone.. (I have no idea who)...but they were told that as long as she was technically turing 18 this year...it will be ok. Aparently, the go by Year...not month and day..?

I have a wierd feeling about this...what do you guys think?

I have a weird feeling too. I get the feeling she IS 17 but is claiming to be 20 (unless she has proof otherwise??). If her birth certificate says she's 17 then legally she's 17, no two-ways about it. She will need to wait until she has actually TURNED the legal age to be married, not the year. Maybe the person they spoke to was referring to a religious/cultural wedding? Because it's definitely not how it goes for a "legal" wedding.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You may have read the same article that I did. I can't find it now, though I did find this one. Let me make it clear that I'm not saying anything like this is going on with the O/P's buddy.

http://english.vovne...0103/113645.vov

Zactly what I saw in Sapa! On girl was married and had a baby at 12! Amazing!

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just like how she changed her birth certificate to make her younger, she can pay those same people to overlook her age and grant them the marriage.

She might be able to pay them to look the other way, but when they file for the Visa HCMC will not look the other way, and if they get married before she is 18 what ype of other affects would it have on the visa process? I know in america you can get married if you are under 18 with parents permission, but I think that if I were in his shoes I would make sure she was 18 on paper before I did any trip or anything else, this way the consulate would have less ammo to use against our case. Just my opinion. BTW sorry for being so harsh, I just thought you were making wise cracks about what I posted, and that you did not truly understand what I said Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OK OK.. I got this figure out. What my brother finance was saying was that she will turn 18 in Nov. 2010...She told me that Vietnam laws say that she is of legal age to get marry, anytime in 2010. I thought it was ridculous so...I called the Vietnam Embassy in Washington DC today...and they confirmed it. The lady I spoke too said as long as she was born in 1992 ( regardless of month and day) she was consider legal to get married. As crazy and odd as it sounds...its true. I had to ask twice..just to make sure.

Zactly what I saw in Sapa! On girl was married and had a baby at 12! Amazing!

I asked the wife last night what are legal ages to marry in Vietnam and she confirmed 18 for girl and 20 for guy.

She also confirmed what one pp had mentioned about the 9 month and 10 day thing from conception to birth.

I do remember to when we met it was always a bit of confusion because she always stated her age as older than the calculated date from her birth. I made sure we always double checked our paperwork to make sure we had her age consistent!

Ended up talking half the night about this and differnt things between our countries hehe.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

OK OK.. I got this figure out. What my brother finance was saying was that she will turn 18 in Nov. 2010...She told me that Vietnam laws say that she is of legal age to get marry, anytime in 2010. I thought it was ridculous so...I called the Vietnam Embassy in Washington DC today...and they confirmed it. The lady I spoke too said as long as she was born in 1992 ( regardless of month and day) she was consider legal to get married. As crazy and odd as it sounds...its true. I had to ask twice..just to make sure.

Ask your brother's fiance, go to "Uy Ban Nhan Dan Phuong" where she lives to confirm if this is true before moving forward to the next step. My cousin got married at the age 17 and 9 months but she was unable to register the marriage's license, they told her must wait until her birth day.... Female is must 18, and Male is must 20 years old in order to register's marriage's license...she just got married last year. So be careful then.

Second K1: I-129F Timeline

--------------------

Sept 15, 2007: I-129F sent to VSC

Sept 24, 2007: NOA1 hard copy received

Jan 25, 2008: Approved

Feb 01, 2008: NOA2 hard copy received

April 24, 20008: Interviewed

May 06, 2008: Received Visa

May 11, 2008: Entry to US "Chicago"

May 15, 2008: Registered Marriage's license

Sept 19, 2008: Received Green Card w/o interview

=========================

***Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

June 19,2010 - I751 Package sent to VSC

June 28,2010 - Received NOA1

July 07, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 09, 2010 - Approved w/o Interview

August 19, 2010 - 10 Year Green Card Received

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Feb 2012 - Received U.S Citizenship

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You have to be 18 exactly to marry in Vietnam. My wife married me when she is 18 and 2 months, and they still give us a lot of hassles for marrying "so young". I had to wait an extra two weeks to get my marriage certificate approved.

Edited by Tuanv

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-130 Sent: 2010-04-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-13

I-130 RFE: 2010-10-04

I-130 RFE Sent: 2010-10-08

I-130 Approved: 2010-10-25

NVC Received: 2010-10-29

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2010-11-09

Pay I-864 Bill: 2010-11-10

Receive I-864 Package:

Return Completed I-864: 2010-11-18

Return Completed DS-3032: 2010-11-22

Receive IV Bill: 2010-12-02

Pay IV Bill: 2010-12-03

Receive Instruction Package: 2010-12-28

Case Completed at NVC: 2011-01-11

Visa Received : 2011-04-30

Thank Visajourney! Couldn't have done without you guys!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.