Chimmy

Legal age to get married in Vn

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Whats up my VJ buddies...?

I got a wierd question for you guys...So my brother recently got engage to this girl in Vn. They are planning a wedding this summer. She is twenty years old, however her birth certifcate say she will be 18 in Nov this year. ...so she is technically under 18..

She said her mom for..whatever reason changed her birthcerifcate to make her younger..( i have no idea why?")

They said they went to ask..someone.. (I have no idea who)...but they were told that as long as she was technically turing 18 this year...it will be ok. Aparently, the go by Year...not month and day..?

I have a wierd feeling about this...what do you guys think?

Thanks, Chimmy

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I got a wierd question for you guys...So my brother recently got engage to this girl in Vn. They are planning a wedding this summer. She is twenty years old, however her birth certifcate say she will be 18 in Nov this year. ...so she is technically under 18..

She said her mom for..whatever reason changed her birthcerifcate to make her younger..( i have no idea why?")

They said they went to ask..someone.. (I have no idea who)...but they were told that as long as she was technically turing 18 this year...it will be ok. Aparently, the go by Year...not month and day..?

Thanks, Chimmy

Binh says you have to be 18 to marry in Vietnam, so I would assume that means to the day, not "about to turn 18" as for your weird feeling, it would seem strange in western culture for anyone to go about changing a birthdate on a birth certificate since they are issued at birth. I have heard many things like this happening in China, and with the relegious beliefs of a year being unlucky, maybe there is a reasonable explination, Binh also said people just change things like that, and that even in the country side people are so backward they dont even know the exact ages of their children. I would say if you are having feelings, to just have him slow down a bit and really get to know this girl and see what her goals are. Good luck Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

They do measure age differently in Vietnam than we do in the west. You are considered to be "1" on the day you are born. You are considered to be "2" on the next lunar new year. Therefore, you could conceivably be "2" the day after you are born, if you happen to be born the day before the lunar new year. Culturally speaking, everyone has the same birthday because they become one year older on the same day, but they still recognize and honor the anniversary of your birth as your birthday.

This caused a little confusion between me and Phuong, as she often referred to my age as being 1 year older than I consider myself to be.

Anyway, I don't know if this cultural age has any bearing on determining age for marriage.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

They do measure age differently in Vietnam than we do in the west. You are considered to be "1" on the day you are born. You are considered to be "2" on the next lunar new year. Therefore, you could conceivably be "2" the day after you are born, if you happen to be born the day before the lunar new year. Culturally speaking, everyone has the same birthday because they become one year older on the same day, but they still recognize and honor the anniversary of your birth as your birthday.

This caused a little confusion between me and Phuong, as she often referred to my age as being 1 year older than I consider myself to be.

Anyway, I don't know if this cultural age has any bearing on determining age for marriage.

Jim, the difference is not in your case where your wife thinks you are 1 year older than you are, or conceivably be "2" the day after you are born, Binh was doing the same thinking, read the OP it is the oppisite, she IS 20 but her papers show she is actually only 17 (about to turn 18) Binh thought it was to put her into school by saying she was older, but I had to correct her because it is not what the OP was stating. But you are correct on the fact they use the Lunar new year here in Vietnam, so Binh was actually born in 1975 by their standards instead of 1976 by the western standards, her actual birthday is Jan 17th, before TET. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
blink.gif I met many young girls .. very early teens, married with children when I was in Sapa last year... I guess it depends on where one is living in VN...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

blink.gif I met many young girls .. very early teens, married with children when I was in Sapa last year... I guess it depends on where one is living in VN...

Did they have the marrage license? I also think it might be different with foreigners but I looked over our papers and it clearly stated that we both had to be 18 years of age

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Thanks, Chimmy

Your brother MUST wait until she turns 18 years old base on the Birth Certificate, otherwise, he will getting a big trouble with a Vietnam’s law. If I was your brother, I will NOT take this risk.

Second K1: I-129F Timeline

--------------------

Sept 15, 2007: I-129F sent to VSC

Sept 24, 2007: NOA1 hard copy received

Jan 25, 2008: Approved

Feb 01, 2008: NOA2 hard copy received

April 24, 20008: Interviewed

May 06, 2008: Received Visa

May 11, 2008: Entry to US "Chicago"

May 15, 2008: Registered Marriage's license

Sept 19, 2008: Received Green Card w/o interview

=========================

***Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

June 19,2010 - I751 Package sent to VSC

June 28,2010 - Received NOA1

July 07, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 09, 2010 - Approved w/o Interview

August 19, 2010 - 10 Year Green Card Received

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Feb 2012 - Received U.S Citizenship

Jim, the difference is not in your case where your wife thinks you are 1 year older than you are, or conceivably be "2" the day after you are born, Binh was doing the same thinking, read the OP it is the oppisite, she IS 20 but her papers show she is actually only 17 (about to turn 18) Binh thought it was to put her into school by saying she was older, but I had to correct her because it is not what the OP was stating. But you are correct on the fact they use the Lunar new year here in Vietnam, so Binh was actually born in 1975 by their standards instead of 1976 by the western standards, her actual birthday is Jan 17th, before TET. Jerome

:blink: What? Are you saying in Vietnam she was born in 1975 but in America (western standards) she was born in 1976?

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Timeline

blink.gif What? Are you saying in Vietnam she was born in 1975 but in America (western standards) she was born in 1976?

What part is hard to read????? She was born Jan 17th before Lunar new year which would make the year 1975, but it was after December 31st 1975 which in western culture signifies the start of a new year hence 1976. I thought my post was pretty clear and inline with what Jim was saying, but I hope this helps clarify it a bit better. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

:blink: What? Are you saying in Vietnam she was born in 1975 but in America (western standards) she was born in 1976?

was actually born in 1975 by their standards instead of 1976 by the western standards

Yeah, what's so hard to understand about that? :lol:

Edited by Mr. Saigon

What part is hard to read????? She was born Jan 17th before Lunar new year which would make the year 1975, but it was after December 31st 1975 which in western culture signifies the start of a new year hence 1976. I thought my post was pretty clear and inline with what Jim was saying, but I hope this helps clarify it a bit better. Jerome

Why so harsh on responding to my question. I'm just trying to understand what you are posting. So on your wife's official documents and birth certificate does it state 75 or 76?

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Timeline

I wasn't implying that it had anything to do with the difference between her real age and her birth certificate age. I was saying that I didn't know if the cultural way they determine age has any effect on the legal way they determine age. There is no ambiguity in western countries - we count calendar years starting at zero on the day you are born. Most east Asian countries count your age the same way they do in Vietnam. In Korea they even include time spent in the womb as contributing to your age.

So, if you are culturally considered to be 18 on the lunar new year, even though your actual birthday isn't until July (for example), are you 18 for legal purposes, or are you 17 until your birthday passes? That is what I don't know.

Yeah I thought It was a little weird too cause same thing happen to my wife's family and I. They kept on saying that I am 1 year older than I actually am. Vietnam just ages us, we become one year older when we are in Vietnam. :rofl:

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Timeline

Ok, I asked my step-daughter Ngoc about this. She says there is only one way of determining your age in Vietnam, regardless of the reason for it. They go by the lunar year. Your calendar birthday is only relevant for determining which lunar year you were born.

The day you are born is your first birthday. You are 1 year old for the remainder of that lunar year. On the next lunar new year you become 2 years old, and so on.

I wasn't implying that it had anything to do with the difference between her real age and her birth certificate age. I was saying that I didn't know if the cultural way they determine age has any effect on the legal way they determine age. There is no ambiguity in western countries - we count calendar years starting at zero on the day you are born. Most east Asian countries count your age the same way they do in Vietnam. In Korea they even include time spent in the womb as contributing to your age.

Not only Korea, but Vietnamese, and Chinese. This is exactly how VNESE, and Chinese calculate they age.

When the first day you in the womb, is considering day 1 in your 1 year of life cycle. Meaning, when you were born, you are in the womb for exactly 9 months, and 10 days. This is why vnese mom always mention (9 thang 10 ngay). So, the first day your were born is 1 year, and 1 day. This is why our lovely wife always add us 1 year extra before our b-day.

Hope this help.

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.