Amber824

What happens if the $545 check bounces?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am a complete mess right now. I just checked my checking account, I had the $515 in my checking account the day they cashed the check but I had $200 in my savings account which is the overdraft protection and once the check was cashed it would take from that account as well but apparently when I opened this new account 3 months ago, they never added the overdraft protection....now I'm wondering whats going to happen to us now???? is there any way to call or pay online? Is this going to mess us up completely??? someone please help, I don't know what to do!

Oh and his GC doesn't expire until the middle of July, if this helps...

Filed: Timeline

It depends on your bank. If the bank honors the check, then you are okay. If not, then the USCIS will charge you a returned check charge. Either way, your bank will charge you a fee as well, and depending on your bank, they may bounce other withdrawals you made as well.

Filed: Timeline

Delayed Deposits Causes Check Expirations and Bounced Checks

The CIS Ombudsman received questions regarding checks that are bouncing or expiring because of the lengthy time between issuance and USCIS action to cash these checks. Teleconference participants were told that, if a check bounces, the USCIS is providing the applicant with 14 days to make good on the amount, charging only a nominal fee. If the check is expired, the USCIS will attempt to deposit, but if the bank refuses the check or fails to make the deposit attempt an opportunity will be provided for the applicant to issue a new check for the fee amounts that were in place at the time of filing.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_ombrec.html

I am a complete mess right now. I just checked my checking account, I had the $515 in my checking account the day they cashed the check but I had $200 in my savings account which is the overdraft protection and once the check was cashed it would take from that account as well but apparently when I opened this new account 3 months ago, they never added the overdraft protection....now I'm wondering whats going to happen to us now???? is there any way to call or pay online? Is this going to mess us up completely??? someone please help, I don't know what to do!

A lot of banks will clear the check and charge the owner of the account an overdraft fee... most banks do that unless the owners opt out of this service - this is a lot of money for banks for a minor detail.

You can always call the bank and do transactions over the phone.... did you try that?

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Delayed Deposits Causes Check Expirations and Bounced Checks

The CIS Ombudsman received questions regarding checks that are bouncing or expiring because of the lengthy time between issuance and USCIS action to cash these checks. Teleconference participants were told that, if a check bounces, the USCIS is providing the applicant with 14 days to make good on the amount, charging only a nominal fee. If the check is expired, the USCIS will attempt to deposit, but if the bank refuses the check or fails to make the deposit attempt an opportunity will be provided for the applicant to issue a new check for the fee amounts that were in place at the time of filing.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_ombrec.html

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

A lot of banks will clear the check and charge the owner of the account an overdraft fee... most banks do that unless the owners opt out of this service - this is a lot of money for banks for a minor detail.

You can always call the bank and do transactions over the phone.... did you try that?

It just now showed up on my checking account that they charged me a fee for a check, in which it showed in my account that I did not have that exact amount. So, i'm thinking that USCIS will not try and cash it again but if they do, I will have the money now, for sure! But like the above poster said, it loks like they will be giving me a letter saying how much I owe and I will have 14 days to re-send a new check...this time I will be sending a MONEY ORDER! I can't go through this again!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

You should go to your bank and check with them. As far as I remember there were new rules about overdraft protection in US banking around February 2010. The banks were required to get approval from customers that the customers would like the bank to honor the check and get charged a fee. Something around those lines.

rahul

Timeline
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naturalization N400...

01/16/2015 --- Package Sent

02/18/2015 --- Fingerprints done

=====================================================

You should go to your bank and check with them. As far as I remember there were new rules about overdraft protection in US banking around February 2010. The banks were required to get approval from customers that the customers would like the bank to honor the check and get charged a fee. Something around those lines.

That's correct. But if I remember correctly, the banks still implement the overdraft protection and the users have the option to opt out of it....

But this is a good advice - go to the bank and see if they will clear the check and the details about it. However, if USCIS saw that the check bounced - then they will not try again.. I doubt they are that diligent!

If the bank did not clear the check, then prepare yourself for USCIS to send back the package!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.