ferger

I-751 Biometrics AGAIN? WHY?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My wife had a biometrics appointment when we applied for the permanent Resident card. The card was only valid for 2 years and now we have to file I-751 to lift conditions.... my questions is why do we have to pay for another biometrics appointment if she already did one at the beginning of this whole process?

Is there a way out of this?

Also I wanted to know how soon after you mail the I-751 do you usually get the biometrics appointment? what happens if we are traveling during that time? we have plans but we are unsure what to do if we are away and the appointment letter comes...

any help is greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Is there a way out of this?

No :no:

Also I wanted to know how soon after you mail the I-751 do you usually get the biometrics appointment? what happens if we are traveling during that time? we have plans but we are unsure what to do if we are away and the appointment letter comes...

Often in the neighborhood of 30 days or so.

Thanks for the quick reply, but do you know why do we have to get the biometrics done twice during the whole immigration process???

Thanks

You mean why can't they just use the same information (picture/fingerprints) as before? No clue - they just do and that's all we need to know. They just want to see us smiling one more time.

Well, your fingerprints have not changed, but your criminal record may have! How are they to know that without a new appointment to 'trigger' the check? You'll have to have another one if you decide to naturalize so be prepared to be offended again. LOL

I don't see the big deal about it. I suppose I consider it a small imposition to keep hubby here legally.

SA4userbar.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply, but do you know why do we have to get the biometrics done twice during the whole immigration process???

Thanks

actually, if your wife is planning on applying for naturalization, guess what???? she will have to go for another one... this is their world and we have to live in it...

At least you get your biometrics taken... if you have a child under 14 and is getting through this immigration process, the parent has to still pay for biometrics although biometrics are not required for children under 14....

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well, your fingerprints have not changed, but your criminal record may have! How are they to know that without a new appointment to 'trigger' the check? You'll have to have another one if you decide to naturalize so be prepared to be offended again. LOL

I don't see the big deal about it. I suppose I consider it a small imposition to keep hubby here legally.

The big deal is that like I said in my original post we had plans to take a month long trip and I don't know what happens if they send me the biometrics appointment letter while we are away....Can we reschedule? (also its annoying) otherwise it would not be a big deal to us....

thanks and let me know....

Yes you can reschedule. It says so right on the letter and gives you instructions on how to do so. If you'll be away when the notice arrives, ask someone you trust to look for the letter and call you once it arrives.

Edited to add: it may be annoying to have to reschedule, but they didn't force you to be away, either! LOL

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

To the OP: sometimes a second biometrics appointment isn't necessary at all - I didn't have one. In fact, after mailing my I-751 only a month ago, I received a letter from the good folks at USCIS telling me that my application had been successful, and that I was now an unconditional permanent resident. No RFE, no biometrics, no interview, no nothing - except super fast track approval.

I can only conclude that in my particular case, approval was granted so swiftly due to my unfortunate circumstances (my wife passed away shortly before Christmas) and the USCIS showed their humanist face, for which I am grateful. Anyhow, the point is that a second biometrics isn't always necessary.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

To the OP: sometimes a second biometrics appointment isn't necessary at all - I didn't have one. In fact, after mailing my I-751 only a month ago, I received a letter from the good folks at USCIS telling me that my application had been successful, and that I was now an unconditional permanent resident. No RFE, no biometrics, no interview, no nothing - except super fast track approval.

I can only conclude that in my particular case, approval was granted so swiftly due to my unfortunate circumstances (my wife passed away shortly before Christmas) and the USCIS showed their humanist face, for which I am grateful. Anyhow, the point is that a second biometrics isn't always necessary.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Wow - I've NEVER heard of that, Damian. I agree, it was likely due to your extenuating circumstances (SO sorry to hear, btw). It certainly doesn't appear to be the norm, though. :( Maybe one day they'll change that 'norm' though - stranger things have happened!

SA4userbar.jpg

Me neither. NEVER heard of lifting conditions w/out FP. I plan to travel too, out of the country around the time of my FP. But guess what? If I don't have that letter in my hands, am going nowhere. Whatever it costs me to not go, let it be. I am paranoid and will never reschedule with USCIS. I don't trust them ;) . Anyone paranoid like me?

2001-2008 F1

08/2008 - AOS VSC

07/2009 - end of 8yrs of grad sch

02/14/09 - ID, GC approved

02/27/09 - CGC rcvd

11/16/2010 - 751 sent - CSC

03/29/2011 - 751 approved

11/15/11 - N400 Sent

11/18/11 - Notice Date

01/27/12 - Interview Date

03/15/12 - Oath Ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.